TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

First of all, I liked Ghostwood Estates. Everything you shot moved. Very nicely done. Even my dad who hates most dark rides had fun riding it.

Fair enough. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Whether or not it's good isn't really relavent to my point, which was simply that they seem to have a few rides places that have become revolving doors. Most other things stay the same.

Secondly, Longer lines and more people translate into more money and more rides being built. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Look at how rapidly Holiday World expanded, and they're not even near a big city like Pittsburgh.

With all due respect, Pittsburgh is not a big city. And, it's getting smaller pretty much annually.

The season pass seems geared toward getting local people back more often, as, sadly, Kennywood stopped being a destination park a long time ago (if it every was).

Admittedly, I wasn't aware of the purchase of the additional land. Hopefully, they'll put it to good use. Although, in amusement park terms, I'm not sure how much you can fit into 50 acres. Especially since it's larger rides like a signature coaster that they seem to be lacking.

Personally, I'd rather seem them institute a non-rider pass instead of a season pass. I know a LOT of people, mostly older folks, who no longer go to Kennywood because you pay the same $32 to get in, whether you want to ride or not.

They'd do well to come up with something inexpensive so people who simply want to eat and play games can enjoy the park.

My parents, who do ride, paid either 15 or 17 to get in. The park at the mall of America is only 7 acres so you could do a lot with 50. I paid all of 22 off the internet and didn't pay to park. KW is a great value compared to 90% of most amusement parks out there.

With all due respect, Pittsburgh is not a big city. And, it's getting smaller pretty much annually.

The season pass seems geared toward getting local people back more often, as, sadly, Kennywood stopped being a destination park a long time ago (if it every was).

Personally, I'd rather seem them institute a non-rider pass instead of a season pass. I know a LOT of people, mostly older folks, who no longer go to Kennywood because you pay the same $32 to get in, whether you want to ride or not.

They'd do well to come up with something inexpensive so people who simply want to eat and play games can enjoy the park.

While Kennywood may be doing this to attract more locals some of us in Cleveland are planning to buy season passes. We come in from Cleveland where Kennywood tickets are sold for $22.00 at Discount Drug Marts. The Kennywood tickets are selling very well. But even at those low prices the season pass will pay off for us. Also "older" folks can buy a funday ticket for $15.00 at the gate now. Kennywood has a great park at really low prices. The road work is not too bad, at least coming in from the west. It adds about 10-15 minutes to our drive.

While Kennywood may be doing this to attract more locals some of us in Cleveland are planning to buy season passes. We come in from Cleveland where Kennywood tickets are sold for $22.00 at Discount Drug Marts. The Kennywood tickets are selling very well. But even at those low prices the season pass will pay off for us. Also "older" folks can buy a funday ticket for $15.00 at the gate now. Kennywood has a great park at really low prices. The road work is not too bad, at least coming in from the west. It adds about 10-15 minutes to our drive.

Exactly, all those "older folks" have to do is go to their local Giant Eagle and a ticket can be purchased for very cheap, I think mine was around $19 or so, give or take a few dollars, I can't remember exactly.

While some say Parque is going to be very hands off and allow the parks to run themselves off their own revenue, if Kennywood wanted to make a large expansion which could bring tons of new guests in, I don't think they'd expect the park to pay for it all out of pocket from their own revenue...but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, that's what I have been saying. Instead of constantly basing their yearly upgrades on revenue, they now have a huge corporation's money to "play with," if you will.

Most of the Cleveland market now goes to Cedar Point now that GL is gone. Not sure why you say most of them go to Kennywood when the gate price is overpriced while Cedar Point's is underpriced.

How is Kennywood's price overpriced and CP's is underpriced. Also what exactly are the stats on where people from Cleveland spend their amusement park time. I am from South Bend IN and I prefer to drive past CP for a day at KW. Not to mention when you think of the amount of people inside CP, the total crap food they serve, KW is a great value.

How is Kennywood's price overpriced and CP's is underpriced. Also what exactly are the stats on where people from Cleveland spend their amusement park time. I am from South Bend IN and I prefer to drive past CP for a day at KW. Not to mention when you think of the amount of people inside CP, the total crap food they serve, KW is a great value.

Yeah, I'd rather pay for Kennywood's cheese and bacon fries than get Cedar Point "food" for free.

^Thank God they are open after Labor day as their Halloween event freaking rules.

My parents, who do ride, paid either 15 or 17 to get in. The park at the mall of America is only 7 acres so you could do a lot with 50. I paid all of 22 off the internet and didn't pay to park. KW is a great value compared to 90% of most amusement parks out there.

Couldn't agree more with either of those 2 statements, Rich. The way the park is transformed for Phantom Fright Nights truly is incredible. I honestly don't think they get enough credit for the Halloween event they put on. Granted, they're no Universal (in size or budget), but I think that makes theirs all the more impressive, as they put a ton of effort into it. I usually try to go 2-3 times for Fright Nights alone!

The park is definitely a place where you get tons of "bang for your buck". The ride and coaster collection is excellent, and things inside the park are very reasonable from a price standpoint. A group of 6 of us went Sat. night for their "Night Rider" admission and had a total blast! The tickets were discounted to only 12 bucks, and we played a fair amount of games, all of which cost a single BUCK to play! If that's not amusement park value, I don't know what is!

^Ginzo, I had a boat of those sinfully delicious bacon cheese fries plus a drink Sat. and it came in under 7 dollars. The portion was huge and the quality certainly does blow away the "food" offerings at a place like CP. Mmmmm, bacon cheese fry goodness!!

As for the season passes being offered next season, I couldn't be happier to finally be able to get one for my home park! I don't buy in to the whole gloomy forecast that some are predicting where it will turn Kennywood into a "glorified babysitter". Will the park be busier? Probably. But I honestly like to see that, and the crews work well and keep lines moving great anyway. The Phantom's line Sat. night filled up the ENTIRE queue, which I haven't seen since it opened. The sign listed the wait at 1 hour with 2 trains running, but we were sitting in our seat in 35 minutes. So, the park is more than equipped to handle larger crowds. And more folks through the gates means more revenue for the park, which can only bode well for the future. I'm very intrigued to see how the new land is developed, as I for one think it will happen regardless of the development (or lack thereof) of the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

Make sure you read a Kennywood Park book or watch Kennywood Memories because back in the 1970's and 80's it was considered one of the best parks in the country and at the time, "Rollercoaster Capitol of the World" with five rollercoasters (I think they were regarding the caliber of the coasters, not the number). Obviously, parks like Cedar Point and Disneyworld have taken that title away from Kennywood, but Kennywood is still very much a contender among the parks out there.

As for Pittsburgh being small... I assume you mean the Downtown area because the Metropolitan area of Pittsburgh is about as big as Allegheny County itself and it definitely reaches it's way to the North Hills which is where I live and someday it will probably reach all the way out to Cranberry.

Obviously you don't pay much attention. CP has so much to offer and they only charge about $42. That is CHEAP compared to other parks like SF and Kennywood. Anyone who says it is expensive to get into CP is crazy. Kennywood cost $32, while it is lower than CP it is still overpriced. CP has a lot more to offer that KW does.

Yeah, I'd rather pay for Kennywood's cheese and bacon fries than get Cedar Point "food" for free.

Suit yourself. I've never had a poblem with CP's food ever. Picky much? And cheese and bacon fies? Boy, if that doesn't make you quiver I don't know what would. Makes me question the crap Kennywood sells. It seems KW only sells food that is not healthy and just plain crap for you. Does KW have a great rib restaurant? A Hibachi steakhouse? A classy seafood place called Bay Harbor? Don't think so. In fact do they even have a sit down restaurant??

^ Have you ever even been to Kennywood? They have some of the best amusement park food in the world, not "crap". Anyone who has actually been there would tell you that. The Potato Patch itself is known nationwide by coaster enthusiasts and GP alike. And yes, they do have a sit down buffet restaurant. Also, barely anyone I know pays the full $32 for admission, as you can buy tickets at Giant Eagle for I believe $19. I think the full $32 is worth it anyway, as Kennywood has a LOT to offer. They have several rides that you can't find many other places in the world(Turtles, Kangaroo just to name a few), as well as world class coasters that, IMO, rival Cedar Point's(except Millenium Force and Maverick, I'll give you that). And how can anyone not love Cheese and Bacon Fries??

DROOL!

Last time I was there, I tried cheese, gravy, and season salt together, it was awesome! But cheese and bacon is still my favorite.

Obviously you don't pay much attention. CP has so much to offer and they only charge about $42. That is CHEAP compared to other parks like SF and Kennywood. Anyone who says it is expensive to get into CP is crazy. Kennywood cost $32, while it is lower than CP it is still overpriced. CP has a lot more to offer that KW does.

First of all, your first mistake was that you are comparing a park that is run by a corporation to a park that has been run by two families for the past 200 years. Of course you're going to expect Cedar Point to have a lot more to offer than Kennywood, afterall they have a lot more operating profit then Kennywood and a larger source of income to fund such large investments whereas Kennywood has to rely on its own operating profit to fund any kind of investment they make. Sure, Cedar Point has the largest collection of mediocre roller coasters on the face of this planet, but Kennywood isn't just about the attractions in the park. The park afterall is a National Historic Landmark and there are a lot of things in the park people such as yourself wouldn't appreciate considering you seem to be very blinded by the quote-on-quote greatness of Cedar Point.

I for one would rather spend a day at Kennywood, eating Potato Patch Fries and enjoying my day then wasting a day away waiting in 2, 3 even 4 hour long lines at Cedar Point riding sub-par roller coasters and wasting all my money on overpriced food and refreshments that are just okay. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there who would agree with me as well. Yeah, Cedar Point tickets aren't that expensive, but considering its very hard to get to everything on a summer day at CP you're bound to stay there a number of days whereas I can enjoy everything at KW in one day for less than $30.

Suit yourself. I've never had a poblem with CP's food ever. Picky much? And cheese and bacon fies? Boy, if that doesn't make you quiver I don't know what would. Makes me question the crap Kennywood sells. It seems KW only sells food that is not healthy and just plain crap for you. Does KW have a great rib restaurant? A Hibachi steakhouse? A classy seafood place called Bay Harbor? Don't think so. In fact do they even have a sit down restaurant??

Yes, they do in fact have a sit down restaurant that offers pretty good food for great prices. On top of that they have the Potatoe Patch and a lot of other good varieties of food in the park. And the best part about it, is you can probably have lunch, dinner and dessert at Kennywood for the same price you pay for lunch at Cedar Point. And sure Cedar Point might have all those great sounding food choices, but I'd much prefer to go to an amusement park without having to spend a small fortune having to pay for meals.

^ Going to Cedar Point isn't a "waste" of a day. Don't stoop to his level by bashing Cedar Point in the same way he bashed Kennywood. There are people out there (like me) who thoroughly enjoy BOTH parks, believe it or not. Shocking, I know.

In my opinion, food is food. I don't go to parks to sit down for two hours eating five-star food. If I wanted great food, I'd go to a fine restaurant. I always end up getting the same thing anyway at parks, chicken fingers and fries with a soft drink. I go to parks to enjoy myself and have fun, something that I can easily accomplish at both Cedar Point and Kennywood.

Lastly, for the record, a combo meal in Chik-Fil-A (with a soft drink) at Cedar Point cost me roughly $11; chicken fingers, fries, and a bottled Code Red was roughly $10.50 in the cafeteria at Kennywood. Their prices are about the same. I can only imagine what "lunch, dinner, and dessert" would cost, probably upwards of $25+.

You can't really compare Cedar Point and Kennywood very well because Cedar Point is a major theme park and Kennywood is a traditional amusement park. Don't forget, though, Kennywood hasn't been afraid to compete with the theme parks--- for a few years in the 90s we were home to the world's tallest and fastest rollercoaster (beating out the Magnum) and the world's tallest drop tower.

It seems KW only sells food that is not healthy and just plain crap for you. Does KW have a great rib restaurant? A Hibachi steakhouse?

Generally speaking, if you're trying to make a point, you should strive not to counter your own point in the very next sentence.

Yeah, that's what I have been saying. Instead of constantly basing their yearly upgrades on revenue, they now have a huge corporation's money to "play with," if you will.

I don't think you get how this all works. Parque merely consolidated all the Kennywood assets. The management and philosophy are not changing. I don't think that any responsible owner, whether it be Parque or the Henningers, are going to "play with" money.

// Wishes he could still ride a log flume or dark ride at Cedar Point, but is happy he still can at Kennywood

Makes me question the crap Kennywood sells. It seems KW only sells food that is not healthy and just plain crap for you.

Exactly. I mean what is Kennywood thinking? Most of America is obviously looking for health foods when they visit their local amusement park.

I don't think you get how this all works. Parque merely consolidated all the Kennywood assets. The management and philosophy are not changing. I don't think that any responsible owner, whether it be Parque or the Henningers, are going to "play with" money.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. I know perfectly well "how this works." Exactly, they consolidated Kennywood's assets, which means Parque merged them with their own. I realize that it's going to be the same management and philosophy as it always was, but down the line, years from now, when Kennywood has some sort of upgrade for the park planned, they can possibly do better than originally planned, because they now have someone backing them financially, instead of just using revenue from seasons past.

I'm not saying Kennywood is going to add a $25 Million B&M or Intamin within the next 5 years, just that they will be more financially stable, and bigger, more expensive upgrades than originally planned are not out of the question now. Kennywood probably has at least a 10 year plan, if not more. I don't expect to see these "bigger" upgrades until maybe 20 years down the line at the earliest.

^ But isn't that what a loan is for. If Kennywood was certain that any improvement or upgrade would increase revenue, they would have already done it. It is as easy as driving downtown and visiting their local PNC loan officer.

I am sure their credit is pretty decent and they have plenty of collateral.

Kennywood is a million visit a year park and has been for years. They are mostly interested in keeping the loyal visitors coming back. That is what has supported the park for years

// BTW, did anyone hear that they are doing season passes next year