TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, KPfan said:

I’m not certain if anything has changed so definitely best to get an answer from the park directly.  But I know that FunDay tickets bought through local school districts are redeemable for any day during the summer operating season.  So I would think that also applies to any FunDay ticket. 

https://www.kennywood.com/avsd

Thanks! This helps a little bit, but even more laughable is that the park is actually closed on 8/26... My friends and I are idiots.

• 3 weeks later...

Phantom's Revenge is getting a full repaint of its track next season. They're letting you vote if you want the color to change to purple or teal: https://www.kennywood.com/choose-the-color I'm sure that this will be just one of many cosmetic changes next year, as the park will be getting "rebranded" like Lake Compounce was. 

Also... this

image.png.bf11a0386bd82d616496e6e0672db701.png

Visiting for the first time in 7 years next month. Looks like there's only 2 options for their Fast Pass: 

$130 VIP 

$59 skip the line on the coasters once each. 

For a Saturday in October and Steel Curtain only one train is the VIP pretty much the only way to get multiple rides on it? I'm assuming it's gonna be slammed on a fall Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Visiting for the first time in 7 years next month. Looks like there's only 2 options for their Fast Pass: 

$130 VIP 

$59 skip the line on the coasters once each. 

For a Saturday in October and Steel Curtain only one train is the VIP pretty much the only way to get multiple rides on it? I'm assuming it's gonna be slammed on a fall Saturday. 

Steel Curtain has the absolute slowest operations I've experienced on any coaster ever. The staff is slow, the one train operations are slow. I don't understand it at all since other coasters in the park are perfectly fine, it's like they put the worst employees on the most popular coaster and said "hey we don't need both trains, what's an extra 3 minutes per dispatch on top of the 15".

So while you could get a few rides on it, I would plan to buy the VIP pass if you want re rides. I pretty much skip the coaster every time we go unless we have a pass for it. Even the one time the ride had a small wait outside of the station, the wait for that was 45 minutes to an hour for essentially 5 to 6 trains worth of people and that was with two train operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And as we approach fooseball season, I am assuming it will be ever more popular than usual. 

I'll be curious to see if they are worse than the Valravn or Cheetah Hunt or Falcon's Fury crews, haha. Those deserve as special place in theme park hell this year.

34 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

And as we approach fooseball season, I am assuming it will be ever more popular than usual. 

I'll be curious to see if they are worse than the Valravn or Cheetah Hunt or Falcon's Fury crews, haha. Those deserve as special place in theme park hell this year.

Well my experience this year at Valravn and Cheetah Hunt were lightning fast compared to Steel Curtain. I do remember those two coasters being a bit slow this year, but nothing like how horrible Steel Curtain is. Even SFA wait times and operations were better every single time we've went, even with 1 train operations on Superman with very similar conditions as I described with Steel Curtain it was still quicker.

I do want to emphasize this is only for Steel Curtain, I can't think of any other ride in the park that has bad operations. Everything else is lightening fast and particularly the Phantom's Revenge crew is amazing. I highly recommend marathoning that one at night if you have the opportunity. 

• Thanks 1

Curtain and Thunderbolt were expected  to be single train all season.  But there have been days where Curtain has been running two trains.  Hopefully the planned work for this off season will resolve the issues. 

2 hours ago, CenturyFlyer said:

Phantom's Revenge is getting a full repaint of its track next season. They're letting you vote if you want the color to change to purple or teal: https://www.kennywood.com/choose-the-color I'm sure that this will be just one of many cosmetic changes next year, as the park will be getting "rebranded" like Lake Compounce was. 

Also... this

image.png.bf11a0386bd82d616496e6e0672db701.png

Was this a survey sent to select guests? I’m a season pass holder but didn’t get this! Holding out some hope. 

2 hours ago, BRTeller said:

Steel Curtain has the absolute slowest operations I've experienced on any coaster ever. The staff is slow, the one train operations are slow. I don't understand it at all since other coasters in the park are perfectly fine, it's like they put the worst employees on the most popular coaster and said "hey we don't need both trains, what's an extra 3 minutes per dispatch on top of the 15".

So while you could get a few rides on it, I would plan to buy the VIP pass if you want re rides. I pretty much skip the coaster every time we go unless we have a pass for it. Even the one time the ride had a small wait outside of the station, the wait for that was 45 minutes to an hour for essentially 5 to 6 trains worth of people and that was with two train operation.

Don't forget it also has the slowest lift hill so it just takes FOREVER!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^I have no idea. But I will just note this:

The Bayern Kurve ride has been replaced with a wooden fence to hide the vacant area.

Paratrooper ride has been replaced with some green space. Again, does a pretty good job of hiding what was there.

Volcano still has the theming there, but that whole area is very dysfunctional, so not surprised.

Kangaroo, though? The operator booth and physical line are still there and nothing has been put into the center space where the ride sat. The optimist in me wants to think the ride is sitting in storage and that they just couldn't justify paying the person who knew how to maintain it this season (or additional employees to operate it). It would be a great "new addition" and I'm certain they understand it is the most missed of the four rides and always was going to be.

Welp, guess I'll be canceling my trip.

"https://www.kennywood.com/ We regret to announce the Steel Curtain will be closed for maintenance for the remainder of the season. Our park team will be working closely with the ride’s manufacturer to ensure a roaring return next spring.

Sorry the text is dark. Steel Curtain closed for the year. 

29 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Welp, guess I'll be canceling my trip.

"https://www.kennywood.com/ We regret to announce the Steel Curtain will be closed for maintenance for the remainder of the season. Our park team will be working closely with the ride’s manufacturer to ensure a roaring return next spring.

Sorry the text is dark. Steel Curtain closed for the year. 

This is probably the best news we've heard on the coaster in awhile. Hopefully this means fixing whatever kinks it has to get it to a somewhat normal operation. Whether that's retraining, second train, or a quicker lift, all together would result in amazing operations but even just one of those things would at least cut down 5 minutes on each cycle. :lolr:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

Kennywood and extended ride closures go together just like chocolate and peanut butter.

They haven't closed Phantom's Revenge yet for the repainting, have they?

Revenge is not expected to close for painting.  And yeah, the new management team is not happy about some of the prolonged downtime or repetitive issues with certain rides.  Obviously not everything can be addressed at once but expect to see more work being done to improve.  

• Like 1

the moment they pulled out Kangaroo and Bayern Kurve ?  

this park went from "must do again next time in Pennsylvania" to "eh . . been there, got to ride the unique rides and classics before they retired several of them (including the log flume).. no rush to go back"

Would I like to ride Steel Curtain?  sure. . but not making a trip just for that.

• Like 2