TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

They’ve always added something big every 10 years or so, sometimes with smaller investments in between.  Unfortunately they’re a small park which means sometimes they have to subtract in order to add.  

But is that really what it is? Again only going off what I've heard (though this does include some locals when I went) people seem to think its not so much sometimes you need to subtract to add but as someone have said: the management just kinda leeches this place after it was sold to that company all those years ago. But I'm trying to be positive, I wanna enjoy here and I believe you said there's new leadership so hoping for the best! 

I’m not well versed in all of the history but there’s been a decent amount of ride turnover over the years.  Even when it was family operated they seemed to be willing to experiment.  Some rides only lasted a season or two while others lasted a few years.  I think what upset the locals is when Palace bought the park and removed some of the longer standing rides like Turnpike and Log Jammer. And removing 4 more flats last year just compounded that frustration.  I think that caught everyone by surprise. 

37 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Hmmmm it has Revenge as operating? Is this page accurate? Bc if so, that's quite a relief that it's up already. 

It IS a shame KW has killed off a bit of its charm and history as the park was about that, kinda adds to the piling on that management has not been kind to it but seems that's true. Tis a shame, Steel Curtain shows you can still add the omg big new shiny thing still. And yeah from the stuff I've heard for years it seems it really has been bad management going well before covid, tis sad. 

The Palace chain is very good at keeping the list of open and closed attractions up to date.  For example, Lake Compounce listed Boulder Dash as opening late a few weekends ago and sure enough it opened around 1-2 pm.

The most interesting thing to me is that Noah's Ark was moved from closed indefinitely to temporarily closed, so maybe they're finally willing to reopen soon it after it was closed for covid.

• Like 1

This is my first post, although I've been a lurker for some time. I'm planning a mini road trip with Kennywood as the main destination. I'm driving from Brooklyn to Pittsburgh on Saturday with a brief stop at Lakemont to ride Leap the Dips and the Skyliner. I'm planning on visiting Kennywood on Monday, June 21st, with the idea that crowds will be smaller. Most important rides on my list are Phantom, Jack Rabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt. It would be nice to ride Steel Curtain, but it's not that important to me. On Tuesday I'll be heading out to Waldameer for Ravine Flyer. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. This will be my first time at all three parks. Also, my body can't handle rough coasters like it used to (I'm in my 40s), so I usually sit in the front, especially on woodies. If there are special seats I need to know about or coasters to avoid, let me know! Thank you.

@jagnycMaybe I missed something, but what are you doing on Sunday?

Kennywood on a Monday should be calm enough.

I'd also recommend stopping at Idlewild on the way.

To avoid rough times on the coasters, try for non-wheel seats....that is the middle row on the three-row cars.  On Phantom, that would be the back row of a car.  Typically the further towards the front of the train you are, the less rough it is.

13 minutes ago, jagnyc said:

This is my first post, although I've been a lurker for some time. I'm planning a mini road trip with Kennywood as the main destination. I'm driving from Brooklyn to Pittsburgh on Saturday with a brief stop at Lakemont to ride Leap the Dips and the Skyliner. I'm planning on visiting Kennywood on Monday, June 21st, with the idea that crowds will be smaller. Most important rides on my list are Phantom, Jack Rabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt. It would be nice to ride Steel Curtain, but it's not that important to me. On Tuesday I'll be heading out to Waldameer for Ravine Flyer. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. This will be my first time at all three parks. Also, my body can't handle rough coasters like it used to (I'm in my 40s), so I usually sit in the front, especially on woodies. If there are special seats I need to know about or coasters to avoid, let me know! Thank you.

Sounds like a fun trip!  Ravine Flyer could be a bit rough sometimes but in a good way.  I generally go for the front but admittedly haven’t been on it in a couple years so they may have made adjustments. 

Kennywood does a good job maintaining their coasters.  None are particularly rough though Thunderbolt can provide a good jostling with the laterals depending on who you are seated with and in which side you sit. 

Skyliner is always fun.  I personally prefer the back.  And LTD is just a classic, albeit slow but still enjoyable. 

@Mike240SX Thank you for the tips! I used to love the back seat until my back went out in the back seat of El Toro a few years back. I still love to ride it, but no more back seat rides for me! 

I have some friends in Pittsburgh, so I'll probably be doing something around town on Sunday, but I also have it planned as a backup day in case Monday has rain in the forecast. 

I'll look into making time for Idlewild!

2 hours ago, jagnyc said:

are you going alone?

you MUST have a partner to ride Thunderbolt - they will not allow single riders.

in these Covid times, not sure how they are handling "pair ups". . so just giving a heads up.

Jackrabbit is my favorite coaster there. . but I will pass along long-time-Kennywood advice:  if you care about Exterminator?  head there first.  the line WILL get long, and won't ever get any shorter, so knock that out 1st.

15 minutes ago, bert425 said:

are you going alone?

you MUST have a partner to ride Thunderbolt - they will not allow single riders.

in these Covid times, not sure how they are handling "pair ups". . so just giving a heads up.

Jackrabbit is my favorite coaster there. . but I will pass along long-time-Kennywood advice:  if you care about Exterminator?  head there first.  the line WILL get long, and won't ever get any shorter, so knock that out 1st.

Thank you for the heads up! I won't be alone at Kennywood. I didn't think of Exterminator as a priority, but I'll check out the line first thing and take advantage of it if it's short. 

• Like 2

Ah all good then! I was gunna say, if you wait about near Thunderbolt you are likely to find another single rider, and worst case I heard that a ride op would hop on with you, though idk if it would happen given the current situation. Bc yes I was a sad sack that went to Kennywood alone knowing Thunderbolt don't do single riders lol I only had to wait about a minute before I found someone. But ofc much better to go with someone! Esp since you never know who you'll get. That guy was kinda weird and not so cool....I ended up ditching him ha  

Will agree with Exterminator, the line is gnarly. So much so I missed it last time by not wanting to wait then it went down. Won't make that mistake a week from now. 

EDIT: going solo again but this time I don't need to do Thunderbolt so I can't find anyone I'm good! 

• Like 1

Indeed, and I found Thunderbolt a little underwhelming so I don't feel I need to do it again but if I can find another single rider I'll go for it. The enthusiasts curse how can we say no? lol

Honestly, some of my favorite experiences at parks involve meeting new people.  Last year at Kennywood, a very nice family of 5 saw me hanging around near Thunderbolt and were happy to let me ride with them.  Fast forward to a few weeks later - I'm at Cedar Point making my way around collecting the access passes, when out of nowhere I hear, "hey is that the Kennywood guy?!?!"  Yup, same family :lolr:

• Like 6

Agreed! Even if its just brief convos I almost always encounter good people/times any park I go to. Much as its fun to joke, there's always people there solo (ya know could be a local just popping in) so yeah I've honestly never found it awkward and always do find people to chat or sometimes even do a few rides with at any park. ha I've had a similar experience! Two people who were also at Holiday World I bumped into the day after I saw em at King's Island. They ALSO did Kentucky Kingdom in between like I did, was a fun time. 

EDIT: OOF looks like a good chance of rain tomm. Scheduling is set so I can't change it, hoping the coaster gods allow me at least a few rides in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Kennywood just hit 35 dispatches in an hour on Phantom and didn't stack once!  This crew is amazing.

Thanks for the feedback... it has been passed along to the crew! We're working extra hard to provide the best guest experience we can this year, and having a blast doing it! 😁

This is my 13th year at the park for at least a part of each season, and this year's group has just blown my mind with how motivated and full of energy they are!

• Like 6

Oof looks like weather has taken a turn for the worst. Its now well over 60% chance of rain, thunderstorms...I bought my ticket ahead of time and I see "valid only on" the date. Yikes, was planning on stopping for just a few hours, hope it's not a total washout :( 

From my experience, most of the rides will run in even heavy rain.  There was a brief heavy rainstorm today and Steel Curtain was one of the few rides that stopped operating for a bit.

The biggest issue on a day like this is if Kennywood closes early due to weather.  But if there's no thunder, you should be able to get on everything without much waits.

38 minutes ago, Canobie Coaster said:

From my experience, most of the rides will run in even heavy rain.  There was a brief heavy rainstorm today and Steel Curtain was one of the few rides that stopped operating for a bit.

The biggest issue on a day like this is if Kennywood closes early due to weather.  But if there's no thunder, you should be able to get on everything without much waits.

From what I remember they do comp tickets when they close early. Likewise, if the park is particularly crowded, they will also extend their hours. One of the only parks I've been to that I've seen extend hours beyond posted closing. I haven't been post Covid though, so policy might be slightly different.

5 hours ago, JJLehto said:

I bought my ticket ahead of time and I see "valid only on" the date.

You may want to check with the park and see if you can use it another day. They just announced a couple days ago that reservations are no longer required, so I'm not sure why it would only be valid one specific day.

Interesting, thanks for the tips yall. It does say thunderstorms....and I can't do any extended hours. Ah well, gotta go by it regardless so not much point fretting, will see if 1 they will indeed allow a date change (I bought the ticket when reservations were needed so yeah it says 6/3 only but I wondered maybe that wont matter anymore) or say **** it and go and see lol

1 minute ago, JJLehto said:

Interesting, thanks for the tips yall. It does say thunderstorms....and I can't do any extended hours. Ah well, gotta go by it regardless so not much point fretting, will see if 1 they will indeed allow a date change (I bought the ticket when reservations were needed so yeah it says 6/3 only but I wondered maybe that wont matter anymore) or say **** it and go and see lol

The forecast for today keeps changing so it looks like you might catch a break.  Looks like there’s a window between 2-7p where things settle down.