TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Is Steel Curtain running yet? Crazy to think with a whole year off its still having issues

It wasn’t closed because of issues.  It was a combination of COVID and improvements/modifications that they decided to do to the trains.  It would have been open to the public this past weekend had it not been for unexpected weather. 

Thank god! If Steel Curtain wasn't open by 6/3 I was gunna just skip here and head onto CP lol 

I hope by then they have two trains running...but I'm also hoping that an early June thursday will be dead anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Glad to see Steel Curtain open again!

Any idea what's wrong with Black Widow?  I think that ride has been closed for longer than Steel Curtain at this point.

Widow is waiting for repair but is expected to be ready in the upcoming weeks.  

Steel Curtain will likely be single train ops all season. 

2 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Looks like Phantom's Revenge is now on the temporarily closed list.  This park can't catch a break with signature rides being closed.

Hopefully this is back open by the first weekend in June. Making my first visit to Kennywood and frankly riding Phantom's is higher on my bucket list than Steel Curtain. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clem2754 said:

Hopefully this is back open by the first weekend in June. Making my first visit to Kennywood and frankly riding Phantom's is higher on my bucket list than Steel Curtain. 

Same here. We’re going the second week in June and I’m hoping the park gets their maintenance act together before then… They still haven’t posted their VIP tour options either despite having several weekends of operation behind them now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Looks like Phantom's Revenge is now on the temporarily closed list.  This park can't catch a break with signature rides being closed.

Yikes...hope its up by June 3 :( 

Hoping for ya! I'm just stopping on my way to CP, goal was to knock out Steel Curtain, Exterminator and Skyrocket as I missed those/werent open, few rides on Phantom's and jet out of there. 

On 5/24/2021 at 10:54 PM, Canobie Coaster said:

I'm planning on heading there the 2nd week of June and honestly if Phantom's is still closed I just won't go.  That's the main attraction for me and with all the other negative things I've heard about the park this year I just don't think I would have a great time.

13 hours ago, VaCoasters said:

I'm planning on heading there the 2nd week of June and honestly if Phantom's is still closed I just won't go.  That's the main attraction for me and with all the other negative things I've heard about the park this year I just don't think I would have a great time.

That was perhaps my biggest let down. Perhaps things used to be different, but I always heard such wonderful things about this park and it was pretty cruddy, this was 2018 and I was already hearing things on here, and from a local, that didn't exactly instill confidence. It also reinforced my theory perhaps we fetishize small parks too much, bc some of the things that happened which got dismissed as "eh thats just Kennywood time" we'd be raging at and find totally unacceptable at Six Flags/Cedar Fair. Esp after going to places like Lagoon which were run far better I was like nah you dont get a pass lol But new cred...so alas I am going. The enthusiast curse XD

Palace didn’t do the best job with the park from 08-18.  But have since hired new Corp leadership and a new GM.  Starting to see some positive improvements this year but it’ll take time. 

• Like 1

While not on the Elitch Gardens level of suck, Kennywood was a letdown for me in 2018, as well. Phantom was awesome, Bayern Kurve (RIP) was a lot of fun, Exterminator had us laughing the whole time, and Jackrabbit was definitely a sleeper hit for me, but.... operations were painfully slow; Sky Rocket was closed; the grumpy-looking ride ops pushing a button that played a recorded, cheerful, "All clear!" was simultaneously depressing and comical; and we only got one ride on Phantom because it kept going down throughout the day. But we had also just come from Cedar Point - which was a stark contrast to Kennywood. I think we might have enjoyed Kennywood more, had we gone there first.

All that being said, I would go again if I happen to be in the area - mainly for more Phantom and Jack Rabbit rides, and to ride Sky Rocket and Steel Curtain.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KPfan said:

Palace didn’t do the best job with the park from 08-18.  But have since hired new Corp leadership and a new GM.  Starting to see some positive improvements this year but it’ll take time. 

Ah good to know! That said I wish they would just open the rides with gate opening lol 

Edit: Same Joel, ops were so slow I actually missed Jack Rabbit and Racer by choice. I was in a bad mood and given how slow lines were and the length when I went... would've been brutal. I can't fault them for Skyrocket being down and I knew it would be but also Exterminator went down though I heard rumblings it was bc lack of staff....which I could see bc this one ride had like maintenance/non ride ops doing it. Not kidding. They were clearly not ride ops and had no idea what they were doing. Sad to say but I only did Phantom's and Thunderbolt and left. I was also on my way back from CP, this year I'm stopping before (and on a weekday) so I'm hoping it's better.

• Like 1

Hated my first visit in 2019.  Too many people.  Hot.  They closed on a Saturday in early August at 2pm because of a 30 minute thunderstorm.  Only had a couple hours the second day.

Really loved the place in 2020 with a smaller crowd. 

Regional parks can be tough because they don't have as much to offer.  And if one or two goes down, or lines are terrible, any out of town folks or one-off people are going to be disappointed.  I hope this place does get better.  Phantom and the wood coasters are so good.  Steel Curtain is fun.

I don't mind the delayed ride openings since Kennywood is up front about it.  A lot of parks let you in the park before the official park opening and then have you wait for rope drop.  From experience, Kennywood doesn't seem to let you in until the official opening, so it ends up feeling similar to me.

have they reopened Noah's Ark yet?

as long as that's still part of the Kennywood history, I'd plan for a stop there (that and Jackrabbit) . .but yeah, the other classic ride removals sucks a lot of the charm out of the park for me.

15 minutes ago, KPfan said:

Visitors can check the daily operations page for ride information.  Hopefully that list will look a little better in the upcoming days & weeks. 
https://www.kennywood.com/dailyoperations

Hmmmm it has Revenge as operating? Is this page accurate? Bc if so, that's quite a relief that it's up already. 

It IS a shame KW has killed off a bit of its charm and history as the park was about that, kinda adds to the piling on that management has not been kind to it but seems that's true. Tis a shame, Steel Curtain shows you can still add the omg big new shiny thing still. And yeah from the stuff I've heard for years it seems it really has been bad management going well before covid, tis sad.