TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Two years ago, I would've said to bring back the colors on the Jack Rabbit station. Now I just miss the neon, which was replaced with similarly arranged LEDs last year.

Great pics BTW! I would've loved to have ridden Steel Phantom if just for curiosity's sake.

The governor has approved 17 PA counties to enter into the "green phase" on May 29. While Allegheny County isn't one of them, it'll probably only be a week or so after these counties until it's also moved to this phase, as was the case with the red-to-yellow phase. Since anything and everything can reopen in the green phase as long as PA Department of Health and CDC guidelines are followed, I'd guess that Kennywood would start the process to reopen as soon as feasible shortly thereafter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if anyone has thought about this or brought it up, but I have to wonder how racing coasters will operate when parks reopen, especially those with a continuous loop.

Thinking about the Grand National at Blackpool, I don't really see any problems specific to racing coasters. Each side is not really that close and it looks the same at Kennywood. The only thing I can think of being a problem is unloading two trains at the same time, but that's quite easy to work around. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

When I was there in 2017 they did not have any locker requirements. Just be advised that you will need a riding partner for Thunderbolt, which in this post-COVID world probably can't be a stranger.

That is correct... you will need a partner for Thunderbolt and it must be someone you traveled to the park with. Also of note, if you plan to ride Pittsburg Plunge or Raging Rapids (if it opens) you need to store your mask in a zip-lock bag while you ride and keep it with you... so be sure to bring one to the park with you.

The reason for the postponed opening is Allegheny County initiated a temporary one-week pause on gatherings of more than 25 effective today, July 3rd. So they might still be selling tickets for the 11th because it's the first day they're outside that one-week pause window.

Guess this will be the new trend of lawsuits for this year...

https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/parents-sue-kennywood-sandcastle-idlewild-over-mask-requirements/

The parents of four children with medical conditions are suing Kennywood, Sandcastle Waterpark and Idlewild & SoakZone, contending their ownership violated federal law and Pennsylvania Health Department coronavirus orders by requiring all patrons to wear face masks.

The federal lawsuit contends that Palace Entertainment, parent company of the parks, has denied the plaintiffs and their children access to its parks in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Pennsylvania Health Department directives.

The children have medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks, according to the lawsuit.

It seeks punitive and compensatory damages and an injunction forcing Palace to amend its policy and accommodate people with medical conditions.

Kennywood spokesman Nick Paradise said corporate policy prohibited him from commenting on pending litigation.

Pittsburgh attorney Thomas Anderson, who has filed similar lawsuits against Giant Eagle over mask requirements and represents the four plaintiffs, could not be reached for comment.

He filed the complaint Friday on behalf of Janine Wood of Bolivar, Jackie Webber of Kennedy Township, Ryan Walsh of Verona and Lisa Mazzoni of Irwin.

“Guests who cannot wear masks for medical reasons are denied full and equal access to the parks,” the lawsuit said. “Plaintiffs have each been denied full and equal access to the parks in violation of Title III of the ADA.”

It also contends that the parks are violating Pennsylvania Health Department orders, which provide an exemption to mask requirements for people with medical conditions.

On Tuesday, Wood was denied access to Idlewild when she attempted to enter the park with her daughter, according to the lawsuit.

“Idlewild security guards prevented entry and screamed at the child, causing her to have a mental breakdown and to break out in hives due to anxiety,” the complaint said.

Anderson has filed numerous lawsuits against Giant Eagle on behalf of clients from across the region, alleging its mask policy is discriminatory under the disability act.