TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Got Steel Curtain 11x today. Yeah, I splurged. Full report later this week. But wow, that thing is nuts in a very good way. Phantom's Revenge (6x) was great as well. Can't wait to take my daughter next year. Park was packed. SC was a two hour wait the whole time I was there.

One of my favorite bands just announced a Halloween show in Pittsburgh on 10/18. Thinking of doing a drive from ATL to Pittsburgh (ugh) to see the show on Friday then spend Saturday at Kennywood. I see that they split the day into 2 parts so 2 seperate tickets. Any idea what the prices are for the two seperate events and if all the rides, save water rides, are expected to be open during the Halloween weather?

I bought two tickets last November on a $29.99 sale. I only used one and will not be returning to Kennywood before September 15, when this ticket expires. If anybody is heading to KW soon and wants a freebie, let me know.

One of my favorite bands just announced a Halloween show in Pittsburgh on 10/18. Thinking of doing a drive from ATL to Pittsburgh (ugh) to see the show on Friday then spend Saturday at Kennywood. I see that they split the day into 2 parts so 2 seperate tickets. Any idea what the prices are for the two seperate events and if all the rides, save water rides, are expected to be open during the Halloween weather?

Tickets for their Phantom Fright Nights event were $30 last year. They haven't yet announced pricing for this year. Most of the major rides will be open for Phantom Fright Nights, with a few exceptions for areas that are closed because they've turned them into scare zones. This is what was open last year (from their website and *memory):

• Aero 360
  • Black Widow
  • Bayern Kurve
  • Cosmic Chaos
  • Exterminator
  • Ghostwood Estate
  • Gran Prix
  • Jack Rabbit
  • Kangaroo
  • Musik Express
  • Noah's Ark
  • Paratrooper
  • Phantom's Revenge
  • Pirate
  • Racer
  • Skycoaster
  • Swing Shot
  • Thunderbolt*
  • Volcano
  • Wave Swinger*

I would expect Steel Curtain to be open for the event as well, barring any more technical difficulties cropping up. Same for Sky Rocket, which was down for a good chunk of the year last season -- if it can avoid blowing itself up again, you should be good.

The event earlier in the day, Happy Hauntings, may not interest you unless you have kids with you. They have things like a hayride, hay maze, a trick-or-treating trail, and a bunch of the kiddie rides open plus a few others like the MGR, Paratrooper, etc. They did have Jack Rabbit open last year... not sure if the coaster selection will differ at all this year.

Good evening! I wanted to let you know we are still looking for people to sign up for Coasting For Kids at Kennywood on September 1st! Team TPR is doing incredible and has already raised $1429 for the event.

The event will include early ERT on Jack Rabbit and Steel Curtain, as well as everyone receives free admission to the park following the ERT. Everyone even gets a free Coasting For Kids t-shirt and credential for participating.

To join the Team TPR roster, follow this link: http://support.gktw.org/goto/TeamTPRKennywood

Even if you can't make it out, you can make a donation to Team TPR by clicking the link 'Donate Now'

Thank you everyone!

With college classes starting they have a harder time staffing everything. So that usually means staggered opening of rides and stands. I would expect all rides open except for Black Widow which is down for repair. Pittsburgh Plunge and Raging Rapids will depend on the weather.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a couple weeks since my visit, but, I still wanted to share some pictures as well as state that this trip (as opposed to the trip in august where the park closed at 6 because of a nasty rain storm) was an incredible time, and Kennywood certainly lived up to its expectations the second time around. I'm VERY glad we went back and tried again! Even with limited operations, the lines weren't terrible minus exterminator but I have a sneaky suspicion that the long line for that ride is pretty common.

We waited 45 minutes for Steel Curtain first thing, but it looked like that line got up to 2.5 hours. Everything else appeared to be 30 minutes or less. Especially after they added second trains to rides that weren't initially running them (Thunderbolt and Phantom)

IMG_6341.thumb.jpg.3a286232e43ac24d3dc09bcf9d341e0b.jpg

First thing's first, the fries!

IMG_6345.thumb.jpg.3431469b7abed3182ac00f764df7767b.jpg

When a photo is taken during overcast, sometimes its best to just photoshop it and make it intimidating. Thunderbolt, thunder clouds, great times all around

IMG_6359.thumb.jpg.c5466fad4f7b352ae14092b30d478b55.jpg

Lost Kennywood is quite an awesome section of the park - I'm a huge fan of the fountains in front of the gift shops

IMG_6365.thumb.jpg.a23c995b931e713219404a1a082eb577.jpg

I may be a Bills fan, but I can pretend to be a Steelers fan for a day or so if it means I get to enjoy this coaster. Front Seat rides are far better than back seat rides on this one for sure!

IMG_6371.thumb.jpg.701bff08929a67314878f5b2806356a3.jpg

Though we didn't ride this, I've always loved how it looks! Iconic!

IMG_6396.thumb.jpg.4687614d2274824e98420744ddbd5f77.jpg

It was around this point where I feared the park was going to close early again, luckily, the rain held off completely and we were totally fine!

IMG_6415.thumb.jpg.e674f189b189ec56c966a58be9010f3b.jpg

IMG_6428.thumb.jpg.61f1d18f264581931d9b43fab369fc42.jpg

IMG_6430.thumb.jpg.d015ad2c9d656a0f12580db22fc13529.jpg

IMG_6439.thumb.jpg.4cb16f3bee0929c592dcb21c26c52202.jpg

I'm assuming this color scheme isn't typical of the racer? Perhaps a "fall overlay" of sorts? regardless it looks great!

IMG_6442.thumb.jpg.f3501f5b478bc02ae3a2852c8c55371c.jpg

IMG_6456.thumb.jpg.9a0cd619eb56c4665e3bc028ad32d26b.jpg

IMG_6460.thumb.jpg.dedf9a42626d857141af1a4360c41044.jpg

Goodnight, Kennywood! Thanks for having us!

• 4 months later...

So I will be in PA/OH early June (4-7). I am weighing which is the better park to do on a Sat.

How crowded can I expect KW to be on a Sat in early June?

There is no type of fast pass type deal correct? Would it perhaps be better to do this on a weekday, and KI on a Sat with fast pass?

Kennywood does in fact offer a skip-the-line pass; it's called "VIP Tours." Despite the name, it's not a guided tour through the park, but instead a set of time-specifc exit passes for each coaster. It also used to be stupidly cheap (I think it was $20 back when I was there in 2017).

I can't comment on crowds since my one time there was an overcast weekday in July and it was a ghost town.

KW has a fast pass system. It's a bit different and the unlimited is out of their minds expensive. The VIP tour gives you a card and you ride certain coasters during certain time periods. Or, you could buy a Steel Curtain skip the line exit line pass for $20.

KI weekend with FL will be walk ons with maybe a 5-10 minute here and there (and probably Orion).

KI weekday during that time...I was there Wednesday Jun 12, 2019. We got there at open and knocked out all coasters and the drop tower by early afternoon. I got a few rerides here and there and we were back on the road by 4-5pm. Mystic was the slowest/longest line. Orion will probably keep a decent, fast moving line on slow days. So, you can make it quick, but you can also knock out everything at a fairly casual pace.

I see. Yeah my concern is the last time I went to KW was a Sat (and this was late Aug) and it was JAMMED. Fine at first but the crowds kept building and by halfway through everything was mobbed. So I'd like to avoid that. Thinking best to do KW on a weekday to be safe. In early June I can't imagine there's crowds

I was at Kennywood on Friday Aug 2 this past year. Awful Friday. They shut down for the day at 3 or 4. Turned out to be a beautiful night once it passed 30 minutes later.

We went back to finish up rides the next Saturday. Packed. Ends up being some big ironworkers picnic/day at the park. Kept hearing locals in line talking about how crowded it was.

Wife is fine never returning to KW. I really want to go a slow day. They have some really interesting coasters. Only got rerides on Phantom and Steel Curtain. I want to get on Jack Rabbit again.