TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I

If its expected to be crowded is there a fast pass type thing and is it worth it? I thought I saw some people using it when I went last year, and that weekend, in Sept the park was VERY crowded.

We used it in July last year. We walked on every ride. However, be aware that there are only a couple middle rows reserved for the fast pass. I'd go for it will Steel Curtain.

I wish I could say how it helped us out throughout the entire day, but after being in the park for a few hours an hour long storm moved in. The park closed for the remaining six hours, despite it being one of the most beautiful evenings of our week long PA trip. Didn't even get to ride Thunderbolt. With that being our one and only experience, we're not big Kennywood fans. $300 down the shitter.

I

If its expected to be crowded is there a fast pass type thing and is it worth it? I thought I saw some people using it when I went last year, and that weekend, in Sept the park was VERY crowded.

We used it in July last year. We walked on every ride. However, be aware that there are only a couple middle rows reserved for the fast pass. I'd go for it will Steel Curtain.

I wish I could say how it helped us out throughout the entire day, but after being in the park for a few hours an hour long storm moved in. The park closed for the remaining six hours, despite it being one of the most beautiful evenings of our week long PA trip. Didn't even get to ride Thunderbolt. With that being our one and only experience, we're not big Kennywood fans. $300 down the shitter.

good to know. I'm hoping it wont be necessary in June but it will be a weekend... I feel ya my experience there was not so great either. Some here warned me that therides dont open till 11 so I was prepared but it was stilk kind of annoying. Nothing to do but pick a ride to wait 30 minutes for to open when really it would've been a walk on... And at least when I went not all opened at once. Racer didnt till later and some rides opened up kinda whenever as well. Was annoying and meant huge lines. Huge. I didnt get on jack rabbit as the line was massive and only had a few hours and the line was moving like a snail. Exterminator closed down and Sky Rocket was down all year so I missed half their coasters basically, and for a pricier than expected ticket and how lackadaisical the park seemed I was less than thrilled... Its closeness to Cedar Point and steel curtain is why I'm returning.

Over the last few days Kennywood has shared some excellent new photos of Steel Curtain as construction continues! Check them out below!

Dy6ip7LWkAE5qQ_.thumb.jpg.1428552a7ad9ac4371c6de19265d15cb.jpg

Got that #fridayfeeling! Work continues on Saturdays for us now!

Dy-3ZxgXcAADTEa.thumb.jpg.1384d15c51167197f90f7d9377cc92e4.jpgDy-3bNFXgAcN1ja.thumb.jpg.11b6b0ef71874b84694ac4bec4420740.jpgDy-3ctHXgAAyXko.thumb.jpg.b86b8815a268c09c54c82e3910643632.jpgDy-3eBLWsAEtQKK.thumb.jpg.1a3b0f5b768e0d4d86fa8bbfb27754d9.jpg

Yesterday we showed you the construction update from the top of the Racer. Today - let's check out some highlights from earlier this week on the ground! #SteelCurtain

DzJlM8lWsAYuQsX.thumb.jpg.1ee63ec55a96caa1fbd6c4c33c384cc1.jpg

Crane game on point! #SteelCurtain

DzD6HgKWkAM6of1.thumb.jpg.f0aa8ec3226b7b48739b775581a7d20d.jpg

Jack Rabbit to the left of me,

Steel Curtain to the right,

Here I am...

Like, I knew it was going to be massive, but it wasn't until they posted that photo of the sea serpent banana roll (mm, sushi) going up that I could see just how far it's towering over Racer, and how thoroughly this thing is going to absolutely dominate the skyline.

I really can't wait for it to open up! Here's hoping the remainder of construction is smooth sailing.

Whoa looks awesome, I like the looks of that little hill after (before?) the corkscrew and what on earth is that 2nd pic? The one before the final breaks, looks like a double inversion or a dive into a stall or something wild. (I only watched the animation once when released, I like to be kinda surprised)

How many days into the operating season do you think it'll be before they have to put up "please, no terrible towels are allowed on ride."?

I now want "please leave all bags, loose articles, and Terrible Towels with a non-rider" to be a part of the spiel.

The finale of the coaster is an airtime hill going into a corkscrew that drops into a helix with an overbanked cutback which leads into the brakes. Personally im most excited about this section more than any other.

Goodness, I cant grasp just reading that, and Im very excited. I reckon it'll have good speed too, it goes up high but so much of it is low/drops to the ground.

Very nice pic indeed.

Anyone have any idea/educated guess on how they can run trains? Its prob not possible but I would love to see one on top one on bottom going through that part at the same time.

I think the ride is kind of jarring for the park itself, even their biggie all ya see are the 2 hills, all the rest is in the ravine, its gunna be weird to have this massive ride so in your face, going over the pathway and everything. At first I too was like hmmm....this park is basically famous for being "classic" but it also looks awesome so I don't care that much lol

Anyone have any idea/educated guess on how they can run trains? Its prob not possible but I would love to see one on top one on bottom going through that part at the same time.

I didn't see a MCBR on the POV video, so I'm thinking only one train on the course at a time.

based on the pic, that APPEARS to be where it hops over the path, meaning the track after the upper section just does a quick turn-around feature on the lake, before coming back on the below part.

so yeah, don't see how they'd ever be able to run trains to hit at the same time.

I'm really liking this Orange color - all the prior pics looked more yellow. Likely this is just primer, but i really do think this looks so much better Orange than Yellow.

any ideas what the final color is gonna be? the Steeler's uniforms seem to be an Orangy/Yellow color. . .

As awesome as that would be, that's definitely impossible. Even if there was a mid course allowing for multiple trains, the only thing separating that airtime hill and the stall is a single dive loop (or immelman, not sure which direction the train goes). As in, the train goes over the top, then immediately turns around and goes through the bottom (or the other way around - you get the point).