TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

The TPR 2019 Coaster Poll Results are going to be historic. For the for the first time the Steelers have a strong chance to finish ahead of the Raven and the Patriots in the same year.

I hope the Ravens don't try this at Six Flags America. lol.

It's so weird and ugly I love it? It looks like Drachen Fire re-born and even more crazy and messed up. Good work, Kennywood.

I was thinking the same thing!. . . exactly. . . . "it's so weird and ugly, but I kind of love it"

HA!

Looks .like it is going to go over the walkway by Racer, and do the turnaround over the lake?

does that mean the end of the paddleboats? (not that we rode them, but just wondering)

In all seriousness the ride looks amazing and it's awesome to see something totally unique and innovative. Obviously we can't wait to ride it and the theme won't impact our enjoyment of the ride in any way but like... did it have to be the Steelers?

and salt in the wound, it's on the bones of the flume?

I see 2 sure airtime hills in the layout, which is 2 more than most mega loopers. Plus maybe a pop entering the brake run, a stall, and a lot of hangtime potential.

It's the most bizarre layout I've seen in a while, that's for sure.

I really feel like we're in a period of insane innovation in terms of coaster design. It stands in stark contrast to that period from the early 2000's to about the time RMC showed up when parks opened tons of fun rides, but there wasn't much innovation. Everything followed a pretty standard pattern and started to blend together with the occasional exception of some ridiculous Intamin contraption like Dragster, Maverick or El Toro.

Now it seems like everyone's gone crazy and we keep getting new, absolutely insane rides that look nothing like anything we've ever seen before. This is just the latest addition to that already impressive list. It's all really exciting.

Whoa, that looks f-ing sick.

Excited to go to KW for the first time this year but now I gotta plan for next year!

I guess the layout is kind of wonky and weird, and I love it.

Oh and sports will never get in the way of coasters, BUT people better be ready for me to come wearing NY Giants stuff

The Buffalo Express for Darien Lake (5 hills that come super close to air time but fall short and never really get there)

I was going to mention that it would only be four close airtime hills, but then if you throw in the Brett Hull "No goal" game in the Sabres/Stars Stanley Cup Finals, then you would get five "close to airtime hills."

Seriously, this is a great fit for this park and city. I'm on the "Despise the Steelers" bandwagon as well, but it will draw in TONS of fans not only from the city, but from around the country.

I just wonder how long Jerruh Jones will take to want a Cowboys themed land at SFOT, or Robert Kraft wanting Tom Brady Land at SFNE?

Okay, I think that I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Back in the Snyder days, when SFNE tore down the Batman Stunt Show they put in a mini football field with a.......Redskins logo. I get that he owns the Skins but come on...

Snyder is also the reason behind Johnny Rockets being in SF parks, his equity firm owns that chain.

I like the coaster though, looks really cool. The colors of the Steelers work really well for the coaster. However, the name Steel Curtain is odd choice. I know it pays tribute to the Steeler's defense. But a high speed coaster running into a steel curtain? Steel Curtain doesn't exactly imply speed.

Also an excellent idea to have an area dedicated to football, adding some new experiences. Looks really good!

One of the designers from Ride Centerline? Ned Hansen?

Joe

Ahh yes. Joe Draves. Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Having that team (Alan Schilke also works at Ride Centerline) behind the design definitely makes me more excited!

I purposely didn't "name drop" and mention a full name because I wasn't sure if that was appropriate or not, but I guess it's too late now...

My goal was simply to relay information, not brag about who I know.

Edited by robbalvey

I love it! It's unique. It's creative. It's record-breaking. It's massive. If you ask me there is not much to complain about, maybe the silly name

I'm excited for the new innovations that have come out in the last couple of years. For a while it seemed like all the new, creative rides were being sent Asia and Dubai, so it's awesome to see more American parks take some chances on some new concepts. Is it a bit of risk? Of course! But so was RMC taking over the Texas Giant and look how that worked out! This is the creativity I hope to see more of from other parks and manufacturers!

Does anyone know what the trains look like? Based on the layout, when I originally watched the video, I was envisioning short trains like S&S is known for. It also has sort of a Takabisha type feel to it so I didn't think it would or could have too long of trains...

Anyway, awesome job, Kennywood!!!!!

You're absolutely right. As I was typing I'm like "Ugh I am totally that guy right now!" but its just so long though I just wish there were a few more humps thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, its funky enough that I'm super into it for the wtf factor.

I just had a quick chat with the guy who designed the layout and he said not to worry, there will be airtime. I mean, it's the same guy who designed Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom so....

One of the designers from Ride Centerline? Ned Hansen?

Joe

Ahh yes. Joe Draves. Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Having that team (Alan Schilke also works at Ride Centerline) behind the design definitely makes me more excited!

A couple parts of the ride look similar to RMC segments - the turnaround at the far end of the ride resembles the dive loop on Goliath (SF Chicago), the stall inversion, the final inversion (stall on Twisted Timbers and the Raptors). I'm most intrigued by the big inversions, looks like some sections of straight down 90 degrees. Reminds me of some doodles I did when I first discovered coasters a long time ago.

As for football, it will probably boost attendance and perhaps the team is helping to pay for the theming. I'd theme the ride to g-forces, the decline of the nearby steel towns in the area, something like that -- and go bankrupt ...

Looks pretty neat. I'm not a fan of football, so the surrounding area gets a meh from me. But it looks family friendly and gives non-riders something to do in the area, so definitely better than just a coaster. If football money got them to be able to afford this, then great.

As someone who has spent over six years living in western Pennsylvania (with some of that time being in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh), I can affirm that the Steelers are not merely a sports team, but rather a semi-deity which envelopes and informs the entirety of the region's culture. As much as I cannot stand the Steelers, I have to say with complete objectivity that no other city has a sports team that means more to its residents than the Steelers do to the city of Pittsburgh. I went through college with Wiz Khalifa's Black and Yellow played incessantly throughout my dorm building as if it were some sort of cultural anthem, which, in fact, it was.

I've spent much of the day sharing the news of "The Steel Curtain" with my yinzer friends, who have all reacted with predictable, uniform approval. I have absolutely no doubt that the "Steelers' Country" area will be a monstrous commercial success. As I type this (just a few miles down RT 22 from the Burgh), I'm thinking about the house down the road which dons an obnoxiously huge banner: You're in Steelers' Country! There's no doubt to me that "The Steel Curtain" will become another part of Steelers/Pittsburgh sacred canon, sharing a spot on the list alongside Primanti Bros, Roberto Clemente, the Immaculate Reception, and yes, the Phantom's Revenge.

And perhaps that's what makes this announcement somewhat bittersweet. While I'm excited to have an insane-looking, totally whacked-out scream machine installed in one of my many "home parks" (I move around a lot), I can't help but be a little sad that this coaster--by virtue of being freakin' huge and being eponymous of the nation's most famous football franchise--will undoubtedly steel the Phantom's title as Pittsburgh's Roller Coaster. Now, I am in no way predicting Steel Curtain to be better than Phantom's Revenge, although I hope that it is! Rather, I'm pointing out that Phantom's Revenge, besides for being an elite ride, also held local cultural significance (The Steel Phantom is pretty much it's own chapter of Pittsburgh lore). I'll mourn the loss of that significance that will surely come in Steel Curtain's wake.

On the same topic, I can't help but be a little disappointed that Kennywood didn't go with a terrain coaster. Ever since they added SkyRocket, I've felt the park's charm die a little bit with each subsequent year's visits (with the exception of the year they brought back the Noah's Ark squishy tongue, which was awesome). While rides like Phantom's Revenge and even Black Widow seem to fit into the park like a glove, SkyRocket still looks like a semi-temporary installation, totally out of character from the rest of the park. I must admit that I'm just a little worried about this garish, black-and-yellow, El Loco-like superstructure sticking up amidst restored buildings and historic wooden coasters. But, like I said, the precedent is kind of already set for this type of in-your-face attraction, anyway. Maybe I just need to get with the times and accept that the park is expanding and evolving in a direction I hadn't foreseen.

Anyway, ride looks like complete madness. So, so happy to see something unique, even if I'm still not sure it's the right choice for this particular park.

Putting aside my disdain for the Steelers, the idea of using a local sports team as essentially an intellectual property for a ride is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised that we don't see it more often, especially since most team names and logos are already extremely conducive to thrill ride names and logos.

I'm trying to think of how many direct tie-ins to local sports teams there have been at theme parks in the past, not counting one-off bets. I can't think of any other rides, and the Reds Hall of Fame Grill at Kings Island (a restaurant) is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Intimidator? LOL I know some people don't consider stock car racing a sport, but as a non-sporty person I feel like this is similar to that.

I'm racking my brain trying to determine any local sports team tie-ins and can't recall any in American Professional sports. The Brooklyns Cyclones and Altoona Curve use their local coasters in their logo.

The Intimidator, Mick Doohan and Tony Hawk have all been individual sports icons tied in to coasters.

I think this is a perfect tie-in for Kennywood and don't know how many other parks could really pull something like this off with a local pro franchise. In my opinion the Steelers are not going to receive a licensing fee for this deal and I would also be surprised if Kennywood is making the Steelers pay a sponsorship fee. It has the makings of a true symbiotic relationship in which both parties will receive value.

Edited by larrygator

The only thing that comes to mind is when 2 parks make a wager on a world series, or super bowl for the loser to switch the name of coasters.

Top thrill cubster comes to mind. Typically, it's only for a few days before they switch the name back.