TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Really excited to see this going up. The track style really reminds me a lot of Vekomas newer coasters.

Don't read much into it, the video is a NoLimits sim with what appears to be the classic / modern (Schwarzkopf) steel coaster track.

I really like the layout. As long as the coaster tracks well, it looks like a real winner. While I tend to prefer airtime over inversions, this looks like it could dish out a lot of hangtime and those are my favorite types of inversions. Plus that airtime hill over the midway and smaller speed hill looks like they could give some solid airtime.

For the airtime-centric ride, you can walk across the park to Phantom's Revenge. This really fits in with their coaster lineup well.

It's the most bizarre layout I've seen in a while, that's for sure. That being said - it looks awesome! I'm not a "sports" guy, but strong IP is always fun to see, especially at regional parks.

Putting aside my disdain for the Steelers, the idea of using a local sports team as essentially an intellectual property for a ride is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised that we don't see it more often, especially since most team names and logos are already extremely conducive to thrill ride names and logos.

I'm trying to think of how many direct tie-ins to local sports teams there have been at theme parks in the past, not counting one-off bets. I can't think of any other rides, and the Reds Hall of Fame Grill at Kings Island (a restaurant) is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Putting aside my disdain for the Steelers, the idea of using a local sports team as essentially an intellectual property for a ride is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised that we don't see it more often, especially since most team names and logos are already extremely conducive to thrill ride names and logos.

I'm trying to think of how many direct tie-ins to local sports teams there have been at theme parks in the past, not counting one-off bets. I can't think of any other rides, and the Reds Hall of Fame Grill at Kings Island (a restaurant) is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Isn't Fury 325 lossely tied in with the Hornets

It's the most bizarre layout I've seen in a while, that's for sure.

I really feel like we're in a period of insane innovation in terms of coaster design. It stands in stark contrast to that period from the early 2000's to about the time RMC showed up when parks opened tons of fun rides, but there wasn't much innovation. Everything followed a pretty standard pattern and started to blend together with the occasional exception of some ridiculous Intamin contraption like Dragster, Maverick or El Toro.

Now it seems like everyone's gone crazy and we keep getting new, absolutely insane rides that look nothing like anything we've ever seen before. This is just the latest addition to that already impressive list. It's all really exciting.

Okay this is just great, the ride looks complete wonky and crazy fun, the theme, the accompanying section all of it is just really cool. There are a lot of cities that love their teams but man I don't think anywhere compares to Pittsburgh and The Steelers so I'm sure this whole thing will be a massive hit.

Also how long until rival teams/parks want to get in on this and build their own ride?

The Big Red Machine at Kings Island? (a ride that used to be great but kinda stinks now...)

Brown Streak for Cedar Point? (Huge drop to represent the massive let down every year)

The Buffalo Express for Darien Lake (5 hills that come super close to air time but fall short and never really get there)

The Warrior at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (every year they just build a new ride that's so good nobody else can eve compete)

I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - this looks absolutely nuts.

Like, lets think of every single way we can invert the train, then do it!

Although not being a sports person, a lot of the theming is lost on me, I'm super glad for Kennywood for the great addition!

It's nice to see amusement parks and their local sports teams collaborating to make experiences like this. Obviously if this goes well, other parks might have an idea to do the same thing. I could see other parks (especially Six Flags Over Texas and California's Great America) doing the same thing.

I love the fact it is black and made by S&S (Arrow)

It feels like the spiritual successor to Steel Phantom - the original black Kennywood arrow megacoaster coaster with inversions. Yes, I know it was painful and Phantom's Revenge is much better but boy did it look cool. One of those rides, I wish I had a time machine to try.

Hopefully they can sneak in a reference to Ron Toomer somewhere.

Can't wait to ride it - looks so different and fun.

Intimidator? LOL I know some people don't consider stock car racing a sport, but as a non-sporty person I feel like this is similar to that.

Intimidator? LOL I know some people don't consider stock car racing a sport, but as a non-sporty person I feel like this is similar to that.

Don't forget about the short lived Michael Vick Experience, so short it never really opened to the public...... (boy how time has changed the perception of that one )

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

You're absolutely right. As I was typing I'm like "Ugh I am totally that guy right now!" but its just so long though I just wish there were a few more humps thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, its funky enough that I'm super into it for the wtf factor.

I just had a quick chat with the guy who designed the layout and he said not to worry, there will be airtime. I mean, it's the same guy who designed Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom so....

You're absolutely right. As I was typing I'm like "Ugh I am totally that guy right now!" but its just so long though I just wish there were a few more humps thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, its funky enough that I'm super into it for the wtf factor.

I just had a quick chat with the guy who designed the layout and he said not to worry, there will be airtime. I mean, it's the same guy who designed Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom so....

One of the designers from Ride Centerline? Ned Hansen?

This is the weirdest announcement I have ever seen.

The layout is just insane. I was trying to think of a comparison, maybe the first big element of Schwur des Kärnan? Or a GIANT El Loco, or like...nope, this thing just looks to be its own crazy thing.

Second of all, S&S. Did anyone expect that? I'm really really hoping that this ride just works, it seems half of S&S projects have difficulties.

Third, this is the most genius marketing. EVERYONE in America will know this thing exists by the time it opens next year, and I again don't think anyone could have seen THAT coming. Those mockups, the "Terrible Tower". I just didn't know this was possible.

Fourth, It seriously doesn't look real. I know that the animation is No Limits, but this looks like No Limits Youtube ride, not something that is actually being built.

Fifth, this is the most interesting and exciting and somewhat WTF announcement for me since Lightning Rod. I have no idea whether to or .

Second of all, S&S. Did anyone expect that? I'm really really hoping that this ride just works, it seems half of S&S projects have difficulties.

S&S has recently done some amazing stuff, from the looks of it, in China, like OCT Thrust and Launch Coaster (literally the name).

I have faith in this project, as it looks promising, and S&S bounced back from the Gale Force mistake and I'm sure it runs pretty well now. Does anyone else get (at least visually) screaming squirrel vibes from this coaster?

This is basically Yinzer: The Ride, and I love it.

I appreciate the ambition of the new area, but I think Kennywood should have its own identity of thrills, flowers, and carousel music -- there's already a whole North Shore area of the city that exists to glorify football and tailgate parties. The NFL partnership might have business upside, but given the league's national PR issues and some Steelers players having their own PR battles over the years, I wouldn't decide to so overtly tie the park to the league.

This. All of this. I think the ride looks great though. The ride, name and color scheme are enough.

The identity of Pittsburgh is the Steelers.

Several people have mentioned the Steelers paying for some of the themeing. IS that a thing that happens at all?

I'd imagine with how big their brand is in Pittsburgh, the park would have been willing to pay quite a bit to use that themeing; it's definitely going to bring a ton of locals in. The park is really benefiting from it; the Steelers are just getting a bit of an ego boost, and I'm sure a cut of the merchandise.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did. The downtown portion of the light rail system has been free since it opened in 2012 due to the Steelers' contribution. They're not strangers to spending money like that.

The Buffalo Express for Darien Lake (5 hills that come super close to air time but fall short and never really get there)

I was going to mention that it would only be four close airtime hills, but then if you throw in the Brett Hull "No goal" game in the Sabres/Stars Stanley Cup Finals, then you would get five "close to airtime hills."

Seriously, this is a great fit for this park and city. I'm on the "Despise the Steelers" bandwagon as well, but it will draw in TONS of fans not only from the city, but from around the country.

I just wonder how long Jerruh Jones will take to want a Cowboys themed land at SFOT, or Robert Kraft wanting Tom Brady Land at SFNE?

Okay, I think that I just threw up in my mouth a little...