TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I don't wanna start the complaint train, but doesn't look like it'll have a lot of potential for airtime. Very inversion heavy.

Well, to be fair, they ARE going after the inversion record, so....

And doesn't the park already have some coasters with an extreme buttload of airtime already? Not that I would mind because I'm an "airtime guy" too, but just thinking out loud here that maybe this wasn't what they were going for with this coaster?

Wow this is totally awesome! I'm not a sports fan, so I really have no opinion on the name or the area surrounding the ride other than it looks great for locals.

With Phantom's Revenge and a number of airtime filled classic woodies in the park, I think a huge mega looper is exactly what Kennywood needed. I'll be very interested to see the trains once everything is finalized.

Also glad to see S&S step up their game yet again, although I really hope they have more luck with this ride than they did with Gale Force and Merlin's Mayhem.

So after Steal Vengeance we get SteCur? "I wanna ride Sticker". Sounds good.

No. That sounds incredibly stupid and makes my brain hurt. Can you also learn how to spell Steel Vengeance while you're at it? Thanks.

I don't wanna start the complaint train, but doesn't look like it'll have a lot of potential for airtime. Very inversion heavy.

Well, to be fair, they ARE going after the inversion record, so....

And doesn't the park already have some coasters with an extreme buttload of airtime already? Not that I would mind because I'm an "airtime guy" too, but just thinking out loud here that maybe this wasn't what they were going for with this coaster?

You're absolutely right. As I was typing I'm like "Ugh I am totally that guy right now!" but its just so long though I just wish there were a few more humps thrown in there. Don't get me wrong, its funky enough that I'm super into it for the wtf factor.

Honestly I think this looks really interesting but I kind of think either the coaster will be a big hit or it will end up like another Galeforce and be riddled with problems. For what I was expecting this is pretty cool!

I’ve never hate-ridden a roller coaster before so I’d like to thank Kennywood and the Steelers for opening up that window of opportunity for me.

Keeping it 100 though, it’s a brilliant marketing decision. The Steelers are basically deities in every area of Pennsylvania other than Philly and its suburbs, so I’m sure people will flock to this area.

That's an impressive looking ride. Definitely a unique layout- looks like someone was bored and playing around with No Limits. Glad to see S&S finally plant a big one State-side. Looking forward to checking it out.

I like the name, and actually find it a little surprising that we haven't seen more sports franchise themed rides- especially in areas with a rabid fanbase. Pittsburgh was probably one of the more obvious ones.

Just a question regarding this. A lot of people are talking about the ability of S&S to deliver on a project like this, but didn't S&S just acquire Vekoma? Shouldn't that put forward a little more confidence as they will have more resources to draw from in the manufacturing of the ride?

Also, just a thought but this thing is gonna get a ton of press opening year outside of the normal media cycle for new rides. This time of year the sports world news cycle (in America atleast) is super slow and it will be slow again when this thing opens late next spring, perfect for every sports talk radio show/website/twitter blogger in the industry to fill some dead air. I bet this story ends up on ESPN in the next 48 hours or so, something different for an amusement park attraction.

I’ve never hate-ridden a roller coaster before so I’d like to thank Kennywood and the Steelers for opening up that window of opportunity for me.

Ditto. As a lifelong Clevelander, it is going to pain me to ride a coaster themed after the team we were told to hate in our household. Regardless, the ride does look very cool and I am definitely looking forward to the first drop/inversion as I was a big fan of Drachen Fire back in the day (sorry... I really did like it!). Thumbs up to Kennywood for such a large addition/expansion. I do hope that the park is able to get the ride open earlier in the season rather than later.

On the plus side for me, I won't have to worry about purchasing any Steel Curtain merchandise...

Putting aside my disdain for the Steelers, the idea of using a local sports team as essentially an intellectual property for a ride is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised that we don't see it more often, especially since most team names and logos are already extremely conducive to thrill ride names and logos.

Wow, this thing looks absolutely insane. I also like that they're going full ham with theming this (and the surrounding area) with a sports team. I may not be much of a fan of football, but at least this is more warranted than one of my local parks doing a Patriots-themed ride. People would accuse them of inflating how many inversions/airtime hills/whatever the ride has, and nobody would be able to shut up about it.

Putting aside my disdain for the Steelers, the idea of using a local sports team as essentially an intellectual property for a ride is a brilliant idea and I'm surprised that we don't see it more often, especially since most team names and logos are already extremely conducive to thrill ride names and logos.

Kinda surprised myself. Great America could’ve done some solid business with a Cubs-themed ride after they won the World Series.

Being from Cleveland, I feel like I'm supposed to hate the name and area around the ride but honestly I think it's pretty cool. I wish more parks would take local sports teams and incorporate them into the park. And the ride itself looks absolutely bonkers. It's gonna be so strange but so awesome. Can't wait.

That all being said, if it was themed to the Penguins I would have to boycott the ride #CBJ

Really excited to see this going up. The track style really reminds me a lot of Vekomas newer coasters. Should be a great addition to Kennywood. I wonder when Six Flags America will build a coaster themed to the Washington oh..............