TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

The layout is totally bonkers. Love the theme and think it was genius to have a whole "Steelers Experience" with it akin to some of the ones I see other teams have (Wife and I did Barca FC's last year that's across from the Sagrada Familia - fun and great price of $0!) in that it is gonna draw people who aren't even interested in the rides to check it out.

Several people have mentioned the Steelers paying for some of the themeing. IS that a thing that happens at all?

I'd imagine with how big their brand is in Pittsburgh, the park would have been willing to pay quite a bit to use that themeing; it's definitely going to bring a ton of locals in. The park is really benefiting from it; the Steelers are just getting a bit of an ego boost, and I'm sure a cut of the merchandise.

The park is really benefiting from it; the Steelers are just getting a bit of an ego boost, and I'm sure a cut of the merchandise.

Yeah, but a 'cut of the merchandise' is probably enough to pay for the coaster!!! Sports clothing and memorabilia is crazy priced and any new outlet to sell their Steelers merchandise is worth a pretty penny.

So after Steal Vengeance we get SteCur? "I wanna ride Sticker". Sounds good.

If this was just posted in a No Limits topic, I'd be like "yeah sure, like some manufacturer would ever even consider making this". Like seriously, wtf? I love it!

Edited by Afterburn

Several people have mentioned the Steelers paying for some of the themeing. IS that a thing that happens at all?

Oh, yeah, definitely. It's likely just a different flavor of the same sort of I.P. agreement that results in film or brand-based attractions in parks across the world. Sometimes a specific brand or I.P. holder wants a ride, sometimes there's a mutual agreement... It really just depends on the situation, to my understanding.

Obviously the Steelers are important to the city of Pittsburgh, so this particular theme fits Kennywood like a glove.

Edited by A.J.

So after I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVen and pretend I'm being cool and pretend I'm being cool we get SteCur?

I love this site.

Yep, this is painful indeed

The layout looks really fun and unique. I'm not a huge fan of the S&S vests, but due to the layout it'll still be pretty awesome with them. If they get this running with lap bars then it'll be pretty high on my bucket list (at least until six flags announces clones of it everywhere lol).

Great addition for Kennywood!

As my home park, I feel 95% excitement and 5% trepidation because I really want Kennywood to get this right! Kennywood doesn't have a ton of shots at major new coasters, and we haven't seen management's approach to a big attraction in some time. I also want it to be something that I can enjoy for years to come -- no Smilers or spinning, please.

So, it's largely what I didn't want.

As both a Steelers and Kennywood fan, Steel Curtain doesn't float my boat. I would've loved a fluid, variety-filled coaster with three inversions (based on the clues) from a number of manufacturers, but nine inversions from S&S is just, ugh, no thanks. I wouldn't bet my precious space and money on S&S, given its whoopsie re-do of Gale Force and the many other ways you can go about building a Top Ten-calibre coaster.

I appreciate the ambition of the new area, but I think Kennywood should have its own identity of thrills, flowers, and carousel music -- there's already a whole North Shore area of the city that exists to glorify football and tailgate parties. The NFL partnership might have business upside, but given the league's national PR issues and some Steelers players having their own PR battles over the years, I wouldn't decide to so overtly tie the park to the league.

Edited by Samuel

LOL, been hearing a lot of belly aching about the name. The ride, the newly themed area is perfect. They'll sale more tickets and passes, just from people (many Steelers, and football fans) wanting to see/ experience an area like that. Can you imagine the bar area?

I didn't read all of the way yet. Is there going to be a bar?

Forgive me in advance, because I am a Baltimore Ravens fan, so I am little bias.

With that being said. . .

Everything about this new addition is awesome! I love the ride, I love the theming, and I love how they are totally transforming that part of the park to a mini- themed land. They are basically taking the pre-game NFL experience that we all know and plus-ing it with an amazing coaster.

This is the type of ride that will get me back up to Kennywood next year. I can't wait to take a picture with my Ravens jersey in front of that Steelers Country sign.

LOL, been hearing a lot of belly aching about the name.

I don't think there's that much complaining about the name compared to normal complaining about ride names (Flight Deck). If anything, I think most people realize this is a great LOCAL name.

I appreciate the ambition of the new area, but I think Kennywood should have its own identity of thrills, flowers, and carousel music -- there's already a whole North Shore area of the city that exists to glorify football and tailgate parties. The NFL partnership might have business upside, but given the league's national PR issues and some Steelers players having their own PR battles over the years, I wouldn't decide to so overtly tie the park to the league.

This. All of this. I think the ride looks great though. The ride, name and color scheme are enough.

I like the name. I was thinking more in terms of just "Steel" being a reference to Steel Phantom. Then the football reference hit me.

Just made my first visit to KW this year and I think this looks like a decent enough ride to get me back up there next year.

Wow, this was not at all what I was expecting! The layout actually looks quite solid and filled with some great hangime, and 9 inversions?! Really cool that they have some interesting elements like the Togo dive loop, Drachen Fire’s Wraparound Corkscrew, and RMC’s Zero G Stall on there! And the themed land actually looks really nice ajd exciting! Can’t wait to come here one day!

By the scratch card numbers:

4000 - track length in feet

24 - passengers per train

3 - acres the new land will use

50 - lift angle (can't find stats but, best guess based off of POV and word search)

75 - top speed in mph

220 - max height in feet

197 - world record breaking inversion height in feet

9 - total inversions

120 - ride time in seconds (POV is 110 seconds but probably doesn't take final brake run into affect)

Okay this is just great, the ride looks complete wonky and crazy fun, the theme, the accompanying section all of it is just really cool. There are a lot of cities that love their teams but man I don't think anywhere compares to Pittsburgh and The Steelers so I'm sure this whole thing will be a massive hit.

Also how long until rival teams/parks want to get in on this and build their own ride?

The Big Red Machine at Kings Island? (a ride that used to be great but kinda stinks now...)

Brown Streak for Cedar Point? (Huge drop to represent the massive let down every year)

The Buffalo Express for Darien Lake (5 hills that come super close to air time but fall short and never really get there)

The Warrior at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (every year they just build a new ride that's so good nobody else can eve compete)