TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

If top speed is 75 mph, it is more likely the drop is 197 or it is suffering a lot of friction losses. If the drop was 220 it should be around 80 mph. I think a top speed of 75 mph would also rule out a launch.

Soaring with Dragon made by Intamin is a coaster in China. The stats on that coaster are as follows: 197 feet tall. 3 inversions 77.7 MPH. All of this is very close to what Kennywood has shown thus far.

Edited by clem2754

That coaster would have placed quite high on the TPR poll had it had more riders - a clone or similar ride at Kennywood would be pretty cool and would give the park a great 1-2 with Phantom's Revenge. Feels like KW is trying to become more like Hershey with the old-school vibe but new-school thrills and I can't say that's a bad plan.

Can't wait to get over to Kennywood at some point.

Kennywood surprise dropped another number today, 9!

Here's what they had to say:

"You may have noticed we've kicked the Project 412 reveals into overdrive...plans are always subject to change in the fast-paced amusement industry! So, we keep on scratchin' - and look forward to hearing theories from you, gumshoe!"

3 cars

24 people per car

9 rows total with 3 rows per car

220 the drop

197 the height

75 is the speed in mph

120 is the speed in km/h

sounds like a dive.

Either it is 8X3 or 6X4. It can't be 9X3 as you suggest since that equals 27 people in the car.

It's negligible, but I feel like a 220' drop would produce a tad more oomph than 75 mph unless it's a dive coaster, which would put it in the ballpark of Valravn. I'd be pleased if that's the case, but it'd be a little bit stinky if Kennywood plans a record-breaker and then Wonderland's new coaster debuts at the same time and tops it.

I'm still not ruling out S&S, Mack, Gerstlauer, Intamin, etc...still a lot of mysteries surrounding these juicy clues.

3 cars

24 people per car

9 rows total with 3 rows per car

220 the drop

197 the height

75 is the speed in mph

120 is the speed in km/h

sounds like a dive.

Either it is 8X3 or 6X4. It can't be 9X3 as you suggest since that equals 27 people in the car.

8 seats per row. 3 rows is 24 seats.

9 rows is the total of rows for 3 trains.

3 could be the inversions instead of the amount of trains.

Since its in the area of the former log flume, and its apparently going over the lake, could this be a coaster/water ride combo (like Atlantis), or at least a coaster with a "splashdown" effect (like Griffon)?

Since its in the area of the former log flume, and its apparently going over the lake, could this be a coaster/water ride combo (like Atlantis), or at least a coaster with a "splashdown" effect (like Griffon)?

The lagoon is just a few feet deep; I don't think it's the kind of pool that'd support a splashdown. Space is also pretty tight right now with the SkyCoaster, and the area around the footers is lined with food vendors. I've read that those lagoon footers may actually support some future light show effects, rather than be for the coaster. We'll see, but I would seriously doubt a splashdown.

kw.jpg.a73f18e2f048ece77efd6e2047b3f4a8.jpg

Lagoon area

Had my first visit to Kennywood on Friday and it was a pretty fun day. Slightly disappointed that they were only running a single train on Phantom and Thunderbolt.

Whatever, Kangaroo more than made up for it!

Our visit to KW is less than two weeks away. It will kick off our PA trip to KW, Knoebels, and Hershey Park. For whatever reason, I'm looking forward to our kick-off day at KW the most.

I'm still interested in the VIP pass to maximize our experience. I'd like a few rides on all of the coasters, and more importantly, time to relax and roam around the park. I may not marathon rides, but I don't like to spend my free time waiting in lines. Does the pass just take you directly from the exit ramp to the ride where you have the awkward guilty, "I just fffked you over," experience? Are there a lot of people who use

Does the pass just take you directly from the exit ramp to the ride where you have the awkward guilty, "I just fffked you over," experience? Are there a lot of people who use

Haha, yep that's the case, unless something has changed this year. I've watched a fair amount of people heading up the exit ramp and getting on the next train on various coasters. The stand that sells the VIPs is right at the front of the park near Garfield & Sky Rocket, and I have seen it sell out once or twice.

We'll be there on a Sunday in the middle of July. I hate asking this question... but, how will the lines typically be this time of year?

My last time there in a similar time frame was about 20 minutes for Racer & Jack Rabbit, 30 minutes for Sky Rocket, Phantom, and Thunderbolt, & 45 minutes for Black Widow & Exterminator. As others have mentioned, I recommend doing Exterminator early, because the line can long in a hurry with low capacity. Black Widow's line can also get pretty long with a generous ride cycle and slow loading.

The dark rides and flats often have steady but reasonable waits (15 minutes or so), and I recommend them because they're often unique (and Garfield stinks, but try to appreciate the age of the ride itself).

The Phantom tends to run two trains on the weekends or when the park gets busier, and I hope that'll be the case for you. It's worth plenty of re-rides, and I highly recommend a ride in the front seat and also in the front row of the last car.

^Are all of those rides on the VIP package?

$25 for one ride on each of the coasters: Sky Rocket, Exterminator, Jack Rabbit, Racer, Thunderbolt, and Phantom.

or

$15 for one ride on each of the three big thrill flats: Black Widow, Aero 360, & Swingshot

or

$80 for unlimited rides on all coasters + thrill rides mentioned above (you have to supposedly wait 15 minutes before re-riding something -- I've never tried this package)

or

$7 for a single line skip on Sky Rocket, Black Widow, or Thunderbolt

Unless the park has nightmarish crowds, you should be fine without the passes and get to do everything comfortably...I'm not sure about major picnic dates or special events when you attend, so there's always the off chance that the park will be crowded. If you notice long lines for basic flat rides as soon as you start walking around, that's a sign that the VIP stuff might be a good idea.

Edited by Samuel