TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

At this point, the only manufactures I'm hoping it is not is Premier, Zamperla, or a cookie cutter S&S Freefly or El Loco. I can't wait to see just what exactly is behind that pile of dirt the next time I ride Racer.

Would not be against a Full Throttle type coaster, Or A Zamperla Motorbike. But I hate Free Spins and El Loco's. Freefly like in Sweden does look fun

Yes, Skyrocket already checks off both the launch and Premier departments.

A more traditional looper would fit nicely. I can’t see Kennywood investing in a huge B&M or Intamin.

I think Vekoma, Mack or Gerstlauer fits the bill perfectly

Personally I'd rather see something a little more unique for kennywood. Floorless, dive or inverted steel, or a hybrid /woodie with inversions. Something that their patrons have not seen before.

You know, with the newer...we'll call it Disney Style Vekoma track, I wonder if they have an updated suspended coaster up their sleeves that has not been announced yet. SLC2.0.

Are you referring to the blue side of Battlestar Galactica? If they get one of these sign me up!

8FB16A7E-DE44-4C44-86E4-58906BEA3C04.jpeg.e40ae7d8e856fba30b135fa173b73c6f.jpeg

A more traditional looper would fit nicely.

You mean like Steel Phantom?

Yes, if they can make it not actively try to kill people this time.

It was great the first few years but didn't age too well. Could have just retracked that ride with Morgan rail rather than a redesign. But I think the GP likes it better and it's certainly aged well aside from the paint.

Could have just retracked that ride with Morgan rail rather than a redesign. But I think the GP likes it better and it's certainly aged well aside from the paint.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but if Steel Phantom continued to exist in its Arrow looper state, it would be often ranked as one of the worst coasters every year due to roughness. Phantom's Revenge is consistently ranked as one of the best. [Mostly] EVERYONE likes it better.

Also, funny story, next season, Phantom's Revenge will have been operating in its current state for double the time that Steel Phantom operated.

I'm with AJ. I don't think there's any doubt that Kennywood made the right decision there.
Oh, no doubt. I agree that it's the right decision. Just saying that the engineering and build quality of Steel Phantom wasn't the best. Toss in the traditional Arrow restraints and it's a recipe for a headbanging mess.

Imagine Steel Phantom redone using Intamin style track with restraints similar to Intimidator 305. I think it would be a winner.

I'm with AJ. I don't think there's any doubt that Kennywood made the right decision there.
Oh, no doubt. I agree that it's the right decision. Just saying that the engineering and build quality of Steel Phantom wasn't the best. Toss in the traditional Arrow restraints and it's a recipe for a headbanging mess.

Imagine Steel Phantom redone using Intamin style track with restraints similar to Intimidator 305. I think it would be a winner.

Steel Phantom is perfect as is. Crazy positive g’s in the first half with extreme ejector air in the second. The uniqueness of the Morgan/Arrow combination also makes it special.

I agree that probably would have been a great ride.

But honestly I'd miss the Phantom's quirky restraints. Those things give way more room than I ever expected to see on a hyper coaster.

I agree that probably would have been a great ride.

But honestly I'd miss the Phantom's quirky restraints. Those things give way more room than I ever expected to see on a hyper coaster.

Yeah. As a pretty skinny guy, I can normally get about 6 or so inches between my lap and the restraint. The ejector air at the end of the ride is AWESOME.

^I'm pretty sure I was mildly disappointed to find them a touch less roomy than the ones on other Morgan hypers--but not to the point of diminishing the experience of airtime on the ride, thankfully. And much better than Magnum's!

(And looking back, it also may have just been an initial worry before riding. At any rate, the ejector on this thing is top-tier and I'm glad people still recognize that, what with all the new rides that compete with it!)

8dolWd3.jpg

Footers being built already. Basically confirming steel coaster... No RMC after all. But a sleuth on reddit (thanks, scott m) found this statement from an individual in the KW community.

Heard some juicy news from my Kennywood source today. The 2019 coaster is supposedly an Intamin multi-launch coaster that will utilize the hillside, ravine, and former railroad building just like the original RMC plan was supposed to. RMC plan was scrapped due to different stability requirements for terrain for wooden and steel structures. Project is supposed to be the park’s biggest investment to date. One of the two launches will be inside of the railroad shed. Unclear at this time where the other launch is but there will be several inversions similar to Maverick at Cedar Point and Cheetah Hunt at BGT .

I wouldn't put TOO much weight into this just yet, but things are certainly heating up. At least the 2019 coaster is pretty much confirmed!