TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

hmm. . the release notes a new location for Laffin' Sal.

isn't she in front of the Train Station? (or the slot cars)?

wonder if one of those is shutting down?. . . or MAYBE (and more likely), they are rethemeing the train to be Thomas?

Train is being rethemed to Thomas. I thought that was sort of obvious... [emoji6]

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

that's a shame, as I enjoyed the "history of Kennywood" set up that was there last time, and the setting along the river was so lovely.

but I could see it would be easy to retheme with cutouts along the "turn around" and thruout the track.

How much of Thomas is going into the kid's section? I remember that being quite large, and over near that area. . so I'd guess the whole area will become Thomas-town, and just extend out to the Train?

Kennywood said this on Facebook: "Kiddieland and the Auto Race are unaffected. Raging Rapids' queue line will be relocated to near Ghostwood Estate and Thunderbolt. The floral clock will be relocated elsewhere in the park, as will Laffin' Sal. The fountain will go into storage for now."

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Does $8.5 million seem a bit high for this addition though?

Half of that goes to Queen B for her appearance on opening day. Gonna be lit.

That's the second best use I've ever seen of Thomas the Tank Engine. Number 1 is when someone replaced the dragon in Skyrim with Thomas the Tank Engine.

I don't doubt they can make this a solid addition for the kiddies, but I just hope this license lasts a decent amount of years so we don't see another retheme to something generic in 5 or so years, a la Whistlestop Park. At least this'll counter some of the local negative offseason publicity they've been getting for Log Jammer. A lot of locals were not happy.

They just need to retheme Garfield into something good and this will be a perfect park.

What Kennywood needs to do next is retheme Garfield's Nightmare into some sort of haunted boat ride attraction to complement Ghostwood Estate. If I was running Kennywood, I'd retheme Garfield's Nightmare back into the "Old Mill" as a haunted steel mill boat ride.

Does $8.5 million seem a bit high for this addition though?

Valleyfair's 2011 Planet Snoopy Expansion cost $9 million. Which included several new rides/attractions, the retheming of several others, and the overall beautification of the area. It's a lot better than it was prior.

So the four new rides are kid and adult friendly, apparently.

Cranky's Drop Tower: watched a video on Facebook page that seemed to indicate it will be somewhere between the frog hopper in Kiddieland and the old Pit Fall in terms of height. So that'll be nice.

Harold's Helicopter Tour and Diesel Drivers: should be self-explanatory. My guess is these two will go where the fountain/floral clock were.

Flynn's Fire Training: from website... Junior firefighters shoot water to extinguish flames on this unique, interactive ride. Is this going to be a Splash Battle ride? Or something different?

The video also said they are just changing the shell of the trains to be Thomas themed, so they'll still be the same locomotives. They also said for this year, one of the trains will be the original and one will be Thomas themed. Which seems like a nice nod.

Flynn's Fire Training: from website... Junior firefighters shoot water to extinguish flames on this unique, interactive ride. Is this going to be a Splash Battle ride? Or something different?

Sounds to me like it's going to be like this ride at Como Town in Minnesota:

CpwuXkbUAAAsmRk.jpg

They just need to retheme Garfield into something good and this will be a perfect park.

What Kennywood needs to do next is retheme Garfield's Nightmare into some sort of haunted boat ride attraction to complement Ghostwood Estate. If I was running Kennywood, I'd retheme Garfield's Nightmare back into the "Old Mill" as a haunted steel mill boat ride.

How about make it a "Greatest Hits" of former Kennywood Dark Rides?

Ghost Train

Tornado

Gold Rusher

Ghost Shop

Hard Headed Harrold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway

Panama Canal

Fairyland Floats

Laff In the Dark

13 Spook Street

Daffy Klub

Safari? (Not sure if this was a Dark Ride)

Le Catchot

Either that or a ride themed to a Soda factory themed to Day's Sodas.

CpwuXkbUAAAsmRk.jpg

Meanwhile this girl in the middle here is about to fall into the ride area and get run over by a firetruck and no one cares.

CpwuXkbUAAAsmRk.jpg

Meanwhile this girl in the middle here is about to fall into the ride area and get run over by a firetruck and no one cares.

It's fine. Firefighters are also EMTs.

If you guys want an idea of some of the rides they're gonna have at the Thomas area, here's a few examples from my 2015 trip to Edaville:

IMG_2906.thumb.JPG.8ddefc44a70af58a3c2d372a805d5347.JPG

Cranky's Crane Drop

IMG_2767.thumb.JPG.b1dd0681fd36f2e3a02daf6da6c7953a.JPG

Diesel from the Diesel Derby (gonna be the "Diesel Drivers" at Kennywood)

IMG_2768.thumb.JPG.3e9fa048b86583c1d84bddf587c5add8.JPG

Salty (from Diesel Drivers)

IMG_2770.thumb.JPG.3e2388fcd7608e91b636dfa3d1a6afba.JPG

Iron Arry (from Diesel Drivers)

IMG_2771.thumb.JPG.a2b0cef64fa7029f265ed92e73ecce70.JPG

Iron Bert (from Diesel Drivers)

IMG_2772.thumb.JPG.80821c959af9584b5045a806baeede5e.JPG

Mavis (from Diesel Drivers)

IMG_2773.thumb.JPG.22984e9951a1452ef14dccd1a8bec00d.JPG

Rusty (from Diesel Drivers)

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.30791c790c9acb8c24555d95f48b03cd.JPG

Harold's Helicopter Tours

Couldn't find a photo of Flynn's Fire Training, so here's a vid of the Edaville version.

They also confirmed a stage show with Percy, James, Emily, and Gordon, so I'm assuming we're gonna get this for the Tidmouth Sheds replica:

Not sure how good this is gonna be compared to Edaville (and never been to Kennywood), but I do like alot of the location ideas; setting up a new station (probably Knapford) and Cranky within the train yard is a really clever concept.