TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

When in Kennywood...eat food! The Potato Patch fries w/ cheese on the side were awesome. I enjoy them soggy and crispy, and I had a good mix of both in my order. Some people don't like the soggy fries, but I find that I'm served this style more and more at restaurants. Potato Patch fries are also similar to the "almost famous" ones served at Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros restaurants. I also had a pretty good funnel cake, dip cone ice cream that was amazing (seriously, go for this ice cream over the others in the park -- it's near the Auto Race), tasty popcorn, and the classic pillow-poof of cotton candy. The $9.99 souvenir cup + refills was a better value than Cedar Point's souvenir offer, and I had plenty of refills that made it worth it.

Just reading this put me into a diabetic coma. Sounds like you had a good time, though. I can't wait to visit this park, hopefully next year.

Lol, thanks Zach. There was lots of sharing to go around with the food, so I didn't totally eat everything myself. Still, amusement parks are places where I don't mind bending the diet a bit. I think you'll have a great time when you visit; the park's in great shape.

Edited by Samuel

Is it just me or does $85 seem totally worth it for no waits on their coasters? I've paid $120 at Cedar Point just to be merged into a 20-30 minute wait...

We payed $240 to wait 30 mins instead of an hour on TTD. worth it, but holy crap!

This new RMC is totally going to be better than Steel Vengeance. The dive loop and wave turn look amazing.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. It has never been stated what the manufacturer is, or what the layout will be.

That was sarcasm. Although, the RMC, dive loop and wave turn have all been mentioned on this thread by over-analyzers.

Regardless of manufacturer rumors or timelines, I found this cool video from a few years ago that tours the area of the proposed coaster and heads inside the former railroad building that's now used for park storage. To appreciate the topography differential, you can see a bit of Racer high up on the hill. I think there's awesome potential for another big terrain drop and totally unique coaster if the park eventually builds one back there.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken. I read somewhere that they couldn't get approval from City Council due to enviromental issues and have to go through a redesign before permits will be issued. Sounds plausible since they have been turned down more than once when they proposed a coaster over Kennywood Blvd.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood is removing the Log Jammer at the end of this season.

https://www.kennywood.com/kennywood-log-jammer-retires

Kennywood's Log Jammer To Take Final Drops

Log flume ride to be retired at end of 2017 Summer Season to make room for future

WEST MIFFLIN--As Kennywood's 2017 Summer Season winds down and we look ahead to 2018, we've come to a very hard decision: the Log Jammer will retire at the end of this season.

To celebrate 42 years of our favorite logs, Kennywood invites friends, families and Pittsburgh visitors to enjoy one last ride down the 53-foot drop chute before the summer season comes to an end on September 17.

While we know that the Log Jammer is a beloved ride for many of our guests and has been for us as well, we're looking forward to exploring exciting new developments in that corner of the park in future seas

"It is a bittersweet decision, but one that in time will create some exciting opportunities for our guests," says Kennywood General Manager Jerome Gibas. "While no final decisions have been made regarding what will replace the Log Jammer, Kennywood is committed to enhancing our guests' experiences while preserving our signature balance of modern thrills and traditional family favorites."

The Log Jammer debuted at Kennywood in 1975 as the park's first million-dollar attraction. The site of the Jammer was previously home to attractions including the Kangaroo, Loop-O-Plane, Bayern Kurve, a Ferris Wheel, and, from 1930 until 1974, a pony track.

img_2532__copy_.jpg.50a678cd606f148761371db278742a3f.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

He's probably gonna be in tears when he sees this.

Eh, I'll live. It sucks though. I know log flumes are ridiculously labor and maintenance intensive but they're also tremendously popular attractions. I wish parks would remove their sh*tty splash boat and rapids rides instead that nobody rides if it's under 80 degrees.

Edited by coasterbill

My favorite Log Flume ever. How much longer will these things still be around? Can't see Morey's getting rid of theirs but you never know... and BGW just rehabbed theirs.

Moreys rehabbed theirs just a few years ago.

As iconic as it is for Wildwood, I think they'll keep it around for quite a while.

My favorite Log Flume ever. How much longer will these things still be around?

There will always be log flumes. Pay-per-ride parks are probably more likely to keep them because their overwhelming popularity more than covers the maintenance costs but a lot of pay-one-price parks know they can get away with removing them without seeing a drop in attendance. They're generally rides that don't draw gate, but once people are in the park and it gets hot they flock to them in droves.

It's always sad to see one go, but I wouldn't worry about Log Flumes ever going away entirely.

So can anyone fill me in here on the new coaster rumors?

Haven't made it to KW yet this year (first summer EVER), but am going to a Fright Night. Saw my mom post the WTAE article about the Jammer closing, and I read through a few pages here and am seeing little RMC hints and possible coaster plans?

What's the scoop?

I know this ride doesn't have the same historic appeal as the Kangaroo, Auto Race, Turtles, or Noah's Ark, but to me, this ride felt integral to that area of the park. I know it frees up a ton of space (especially with the pavilions back there being excessive probably), but this was one of the better flumes around. The uphill portion was unique and the ride really hauled through the course. I really don't enjoy Plunge rides, and Rapids often just get me too wet. The Log Jammer consistently drew a long line. I recognize that maintaining such a ride becomes expensive with time.

It is a weird thing to say, but I really don't want another coaster. I thought Sky Rocket was perfect for the park (just like Impulse at Knoebels, really), but a big RMC is going to really shoot attendance up and take the attention away from the wooden coasters that make this park what it is. I mean, it is weird to think they haven't put a wooden coaster into the park in SUCH a long time, but maybe that is for good reason. I recognize I am probably misguided in feeling this way, but I like Kennywood for what it is right now. The additions of the last decade have all felt appropriate and they haven't had to remove much of anything (Pitfall was disposable).