TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Kangaroo is a do not miss ride. It is so much goofy fun. Don't miss Noahs Ark and Bayern Kurve. Also the Whip at Kennywood is better than Knoebels. You will probably find that you'll spend the whole day there.

yep these.

but best tip I can possibly give? Go to the left upon park entry and head towards Exterminator FIRST (if Black Widow has no line, grab a ride on that on the way). . but absolutely hit Exterminator as first Coaster, if you want to ride this indoor, spinning, themed mouse.

we didn't care for it, but the line is infamously slow, slow moving. So if you want to ride it, hit it EARLY

Kangaroo is a do not miss ride. It is so much goofy fun. Don't miss Noahs Ark and Bayern Kurve. Also the Whip at Kennywood is better than Knoebels. You will probably find that you'll spend the whole day there.

yep these.

but best tip I can possibly give? Go to the left upon park entry and head towards Exterminator FIRST (if Black Widow has no line, grab a ride on that on the way). . but absolutely hit Exterminator as first Coaster, if you want to ride this indoor, spinning, themed mouse.

we didn't care for it, but the line is infamously slow, slow moving. So if you want to ride it, hit it EARLY

This. I went on a weekday and made the mistake of not going to Exterminator first. I must have been in line for Exterminator for at least 40 minutes or so. I can't imagine what the line would be like on a weekend.

A few years ago, everything at Kennywood was less than 15 minutes except Exterminator and Sky Rocket (first season). Exterminator had a 60 minute wait and Sky Rocket was about 30 minutes. I'd say to grab a quick ride on Sky Rocket (if no line) before running to Exterminator unless lines for Sky Rocket have dropped down.

thanks i will check that out. since my kids are now old enough and enjoying riding coasters i thought this would be a good trip this summer from eastern pa. always wanted to go there..also may add a stop on the way home at lakemont park

Knoebels is good if you haven't been. Love that park.

Kennywood is a great place considering it's location. You can can usually get around the park in a few hours but crowds can vary day to day. Sometimes we're there 2-3 and hit everything up and other days it can be 4-6 hours.

It is worth a visit for sure. Great family park, especially with the kids. Good mix of flats, coasters and thrills.

im 30 minutes from knoebels we go all the time, but its nice now my kids are getting older and starting to enjoy other coasters so making a trip to another park this year would be fun. im at a pretty good location. hershey,dorney,knoebels all an hour or less from me.

You're really lucky! I only have Michigan's Adventure nearby (a little over an hour), and the next nearest parks are all 5-6 hours away (SFGAm, Cedar Point, Indiana Beach)

^ You're right, that's an AWESOME deal on tickets!! So now you have no excuses.....go buy 2 of them and come check out Kennywood! We have a crazy-good airtime machine of a hyper, and - most importantly for you - a pretty kick-butt log flume! I might even be inclined to join you for some park fun if you decided to visit! (Although, you guys did avoid us Labor Day weekend at CP, soooo......hahaha! )

In all seriousness though, Kennywood's a pretty cool place that I think you'd enjoy. I mean, I know it could never replace Knoebels as your park of choice in PA, but it's still not too shabby!

This park just doesn't get the love it deserves. I guarantee this... once and RMC gets announced. This page will blow up. Dollywood Thread has gone from 620 pages to 1240 pages since LR was announced.

That's pretty impressive, considering lightning rod has only been operational for about three of those pages combined.

True... most of the pages are people griping / theorizing about its problems. Somewhere squeezed in the middle is three pages discussing the new drop tower and coaster. LOL

And the last few pages now talking about Dollywood's alcohol policy (it's a dry park, but its hotel is "wet") and its food, with absolutely no mention of Lightning Rod (or any other ride).

I feel an RMC at Kennywood would either be a T-Rex or a ground-up steel track hybrid (all of RMC's current steel hybrids are conversions)

• 2 months later...

So I'm planning my first trip to Kennywood this year, looking at June 3. What I am wondering is: What may the crowds be like, is there a certain plan of attack for the park, and is it realistically possible to do Waldameer on the same day? I'd be OK with doing only coasters at KW, unless there is something truly unique or awesome I should do, and basically jetting out of there. Any coaster worth skipping that would make the day easier? I'm not much of a cred whore, the indoor wild mouse for example while I'd like to hit it, I could live without.

It is about 2.5 hours travel time in good traffic at best. The mouse in a box is really quite fun and feels much different than a standard mouse. Noah's Ark , Kangaroo, Bayern Kurve, The flume , and not to be missed in any way is Black Widow. Tough call to try and do both in 1 day. I have always had a good time with a full day at KW.

Oh wow. I guess I google maps doesn't take that into consideration, and sounds like KW is indeed worth a full day. Well,thanks! I guess this means I can relax at Waldameer then before I jet out, instead of cramming it into a day.

Oh wow. I guess I google maps doesn't take that into consideration, and sounds like KW is indeed worth a full day. Well,thanks! I guess this means I can relax at Waldameer then before I jet out, instead of cramming it into a day.

absolutely worth a full day -- do multiple rides on Jackrabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt too. . . Phantom was fun, but we only rode once.

as noted, they have several classic rides to NOT miss. .the main ones being: Noah's Arc walkthur, Bayrun Kurve, Kangaroo, Paratrooper, and Turtle. The indoor shooter, Ghostwood Estates, was fun too.

and the Train ride along the river was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...