TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Friday nights are usually the less crowded of the two nights (but can still be rather busy some weeks) due to it being football night for most area teams and lots of college kids driving back from school. Saturdays can get packed to capacity. As mentioned above, there are V.I.P Tour options for the rides and R.I.P. Tour options for the haunts as well if deemed necessary.

• 1 month later...
I wish this thread could always be this active. If anybody is going this weekend I'd love to see some pics from a "normal" haunt night.

I'm so jealous of those rides on Phantom in the fog!

This park just doesn't get the love it deserves. I guarantee this... once and RMC gets announced. This page will blow up. Dollywood Thread has gone from 620 pages to 1240 pages since LR was announced.

I made a 3d overlay with the elevation data, so you can see the terrain height along the track layout.

and a version with orthographic projection: http://i.imgur.com/wg25adG.png

I still have no idea what's up with that mouse turn. I'm thinking it's between a brake run and a lift hill, though. It looks like this ride could just drop right from station height, like Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit do, or it could have a small lift hill. The elevation change going into that ravine is about 30 m (100 ft).

Does anybody have any idea what could possibly be going on with this layout yet? I'm still really confused by that sharp turn area.

I made a 3d overlay with the elevation data, so you can see the terrain height along the track layout.

and a version with orthographic projection: http://i.imgur.com/wg25adG.png

I still have no idea what's up with that mouse turn. I'm thinking it's between a brake run and a lift hill, though. It looks like this ride could just drop right from station height, like Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit do, or it could have a small lift hill. The elevation change going into that ravine is about 30 m (100 ft).

Does anybody have any idea what could possibly be going on with this layout yet? I'm still really confused by that sharp turn area.

I keep thinking it could be some sort of Dive Loop turn around element.

This park just doesn't get the love it deserves. I guarantee this... once and RMC gets announced. This page will blow up. Dollywood Thread has gone from 620 pages to 1240 pages since LR was announced.

That's pretty impressive, considering lightning rod has only been operational for about three of those pages combined.

IMO, the shaping doesn't look oblique enough to me for a dive loop. And I find it very weird that the track is perfectly parallel on each side of the small radius turn. To me, it looks much more like a brake run/transfer track area (which doesn't make sense if it's at the bottom of the hill...). The whole layout also looks ridiculously short...

I guess it's wait and see.

That's pretty impressive, considering lightning rod has only been operational for about three of those pages combined.

True... most of the pages are people griping / theorizing about its problems. Somewhere squeezed in the middle is three pages discussing the new drop tower and coaster. LOL

True... most of the pages are people griping / theorizing about its problems. Somewhere squeezed in the middle is three pages discussing the new drop tower and coaster. LOL

...and an absurdly large portion was spent on the #itllneveropen drivel.

IMO, the shaping doesn't look oblique enough to me for a dive loop. And I find it very weird that the track is perfectly parallel on each side of the small radius turn. To me, it looks much more like a brake run/transfer track area (which doesn't make sense if it's at the bottom of the hill...). The whole layout also looks ridiculously short...

I guess it's wait and see.

Ultra-Twister 2.0?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How is kennywood lights? Never been there for that, but debating driving 2 hours for it. Worth it?

It's a good event. The park does a nice job with lighting and holiday theming. They usually have a bonfire outside of Noah's Ark and a Lionel train display inside the cafe. There is a limited selection of rides weather permitting. This year they converted the arcade into a gingerbread village display.

Would definitely recommend checking out the park if you are in the area. I think they are running a bogo offer on admission during select days due to the cold weather.

• 1 month later...

^ I can't really think of any tips other than to seek out the discount tickets at Giant Eagle supermarkets in the Pittsburgh area...this will save you and your family some money.

Just take your time & enjoy all of the unique coasters and attractions - it's a really fun old school type of amusement park with lots of modern thrills thrown in for good measure.

Some people will say that it's a must to try the Potato Patch fries, but I found them to be somewhat overrated.

^If you go to Lakemont (and if you haven't been before) just be ready to be disappointed by operations and the overall quality of the park. It's run down and messy. It looks like a fair from the 60s that has been sitting there since.

Personally I really enjoyed the quirkiness of it and thought the coasters and some flats were super unique and fun, so as long as you can deal with the run down "omg this ride is going to collapse" vibes, you'll have fun.

As for Kennywood, just make sure you try out as many rides as possible. It's very easy to get distracted by the coasters and never do a lot of the more unique flats. Kangaroo, Turtle, The Whip, Log Jammer, Noah's Ark, and Black Widow are all must do. I'm probably forgetting a few. Also keep in mind that some rides close early in the Lost Pittsburgh area and if there is rain and the park isn't busy they will likely use it as an excuse to close even if the weather is supposed to clear up.

thanks i will check that out. since my kids are now old enough and enjoying riding coasters i thought this would be a good trip this summer from eastern pa. always wanted to go there..also may add a stop on the way home at lakemont park

I would recommend stopping at Lakemont for just an hour to ride Skyliner, Leap the Dips, Octopus, Twister, Round-Up, and Skydiver. I'd rather spend most of that day at Delgrosso's, which is less than 20 minutes away. It's a beautiful, small-scale, old-school park that has a great drop tower and awesome food. It has a fantastic atmosphere.

thanks i will check that out. since my kids are now old enough and enjoying riding coasters i thought this would be a good trip this summer from eastern pa. always wanted to go there..also may add a stop on the way home at lakemont park

I made this mistake of thinking Lakemont was better than Del Grossos too but that's the wrong way to do it. Lakemont is a god damn sh*thole. You should go and ride Leap the Dips and the other coasters if you want (Skyliner is actually okay), but if you want to take the kids to a nice park that doesn't completely blow, go to Del Grossos. it's very small, but it's very well kept and has a nice atmosphere.

The one nice thing about Lakemont being so unbelievably terrible is that it's priced accordingly, so you won't break the bank if you stop by to ride Leap the Dips and whatever else on the way to Del Grossos. You should stop and ride Leap the Dips though if it's open. Leap the Dips is a cool experience.