TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Best strategy with Exterminator is to head there first at rope drop. (It's a hike) Barring any delays in opening you can get in and out within a few minutes. Yes It's tempting to hit the other coasters on the way, but I found this way to work best. Like any park, you go the opposite way of the crowds.

I found that starting a Phantom's Revenge and getting a front row ride quickly before moving to Exterminator worked really well. Don't have to deal with the longer lines for front row and get to face minimal wait for Exterminator.

From my experience, this is a very solid plan as well! I haven't been there since Black Widow was added, but I would wager a guess, from what I've heard regarding lines for it, that hitting that third would then be wise. Don't forget to grab a second ride on PR on your way back through, in the very back, as that beast is one awesome coaster!

Sounds like a good plan too. Luckily we went on not too busy of a day, so it wasn't much of a wait for PR. We got lucky that way. After doing PR and Exterminator, don't miss out on the Whip next to Exterminator. It is one of the better ones out there, we rode it several times in a row before the line got long. Giggle fest all the way and really whips you around if you seat yourself just right.

Best strategy with Exterminator is to head there first at rope drop. (It's a hike) Barring any delays in opening you can get in and out within a few minutes. Yes It's tempting to hit the other coasters on the way, but I found this way to work best. Like any park, you go the opposite way of the crowds.

I found that starting a Phantom's Revenge and getting a front row ride quickly before moving to Exterminator worked really well. Don't have to deal with the longer lines for front row and get to face minimal wait for Exterminator.

From my experience, this is a very solid plan as well! I haven't been there since Black Widow was added, but I would wager a guess, from what I've heard regarding lines for it, that hitting that third would then be wise. Don't forget to grab a second ride on PR on your way back through, in the very back, as that beast is one awesome coaster!

Yeah, we did Phantom, then Exterminator, then Whip since we were already there and Black Widow after. Then Thunderbolt, Noah's Ark and Ghostwood since those latter two were just opening up for the day around then. Then eventually made your way around the park on a busier Friday. It took us about 4 hours or so to get through everything we were interested in at the park at least once, and that left a good amount of time for rerides.

After riding Kennywood and Knoebels whips, Kennywood's was far superior, IMO. Knoebels moved slow and, as great as long flat cycles are, the slow whip and long cycle led to a really boring ride. Kennywood Whip has a good whip effect and perfect cycle so it never gets boring. The only plus from Knoebels is the roof.

^Too late, I chose the front seat. =P I don't feel too bad, the front gets great airtime going over the (weirdly lopsided) top hat. I don't think it's worth another ride, I liked it but I mean it wasn't THAT good. The ending is inexplicably lame. Everything is amazing right up through the second vertical drop, then meh. Think I'm gonna spend the rest of my evening on Phantom and Thunderbolt.

^No Jack Rabbit? I love that thing.

I only did Sky Rocket twice in the back and liked it a lot.

I rode Jack Rabbit earlier in the day. I liked it a lot but it wasn't worth spending valuable night rides on. That line moves sloooooow (especially considering the restraint is just a seat belt).

I'll tell you what, Kennywood gave me a fantastic time today. Perfect weather and Phantom was a walk-on early in the day. The lines filled out more after 5 but I got on everything I wanted and then some.

I got on Phantom 7 times in total (including getting an extra lap on the last ride of the night) and Thunderbolt 4 times. I would've got on Thunderbolt more but the no single riders policy makes it very awkward (to say the least) if you're solo like I was today. I decided I was done squishing random strangers (or rather, having them squish me). 3 of them all apologized at the same spot, that one crazy tight descending turn as you're entering the second leg of the helix thingy. I kept shouting "It's ok!" but by the third time I just had to laugh.

Both of these coasters felt faster later in the evening. Thunderbolt is way, way up there for me, particularly as a laterals fan, but I was also getting pops of air off almost every single drop, even from the slight change in steepness at the bottom of the chain lift.

Phantom though... I'd ridden it once years ago, but tonight it was like a f*cking hurricane. I could not believe how fast it was. That first double down sent you FLYING. I think it's basically my favorite steelie as of right now, the only one that really comes close is Magnum XL. The first drop in the back row with the rotation puts every other curved first drop to shame.

All the coasters at Kennywood are kick-ass, no losers here. Exterminator is far and away my favorite indoor coaster besides Space Mountain. Racer was surprisingly good. Ghostwood Estate was the best looking non-Disney dark ride I've ridden, unfortunately I got stuck by myself so I was trying to trigger as much as I could and failed pretty badly. I wish you could push a button and just have everything trigger automatically... you know... the way dark rides are supposed to be. Still, a great-looking ride.

The only clunker for me (predictably) was Garfield's Nightmare. I love the history of the ride and those narrow tunnels you go through. But it's actually kind of hilarious just how terrible the current theme is. Garfield always sounds bored, so he makes for a very boring narrator, which makes for a very boring ride. A bad decision from the start I think, and I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I went past at least two of the giant comic strips before I realized the panels were supposed to be read from right to left... I kept reading them backwards and was very confused.

Seriously good day overall. A few random pics:

20160610_141822.thumb.jpg.4ccddbaed6465451b3596f38fb832b02.jpg

Lovely view from Phantom's station. Never too far from reality at Kennywood.

20160610_161600.thumb.jpg.86c059e53c5e70940af7e8579d83f733.jpg

Thunderbolt: making strangers feel awkward since 1924 (or whenever that policy was instated... why can't they just tell single riders to sit on the left??)

20160610_204726.thumb.jpg.ac056621099c317184d10cc1791f8631.jpg

I think it's time for ol' Phantom to get a new lift motor, it felt like we were just barely making it to the top

Looks like Phantom could use a repaint to along with a new motor, which might still be from Steel Phantom. It's been awhile since I've been to my former home park, need to hit it up again sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like I'm going to make my first trip to Kennywood on Friday. Sad I know only being about 3 hours away. So I'm looking for thoughts on best way to do the park. From what I have read the inside roller coaster is the best place to start. Any tips would be great. Other must dues are getting fries, I know I need to hit up Noah ark, And most of the flats. Do they still do free parking in the back lot?

Not to outside the park. I plan to go to primanti brothers for dinner. I think in down town. Are there any brewery near that I can hit up why eating. Even better if I can take my food into?

^Yes, Exterminator should be the first ride. Then you should do the other rides in that section, then slowly move out to the center, then front areas while going on the big rides as you go along. I'm not really sure what you're talking about in the second half of your post, are you asking about any breweries you can bring your own food into?

Primanti Bros in the Strip District is cool.The Strip District is worth a daytime visit the next day if you have the time. Wholley's Seafood store has an ungodly huge fish sandwich that's to die for and cheap .The fish in the sandwich is sold by the pound. A very unique experience.

Going on July 3rd... I'm expecting to wait between 30-40 minutes for each coaster. Is that reasonable or will I be surprised to see how empty it is, or will it be more like 90-120 minutes for everything? We are going to try to get there early to buy the Unlimited VIP coaster tour, but I see on the website they only sell 26 per day so we aren't really banking on that