TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Does any one know how far the nearest Primanti Brothers is to the park. When i go in a few weeks i would like to hit them up.

This is a very good choice (southern boy here but my dad's side is all from Pittsburgh and all still live there so I've spent a good chunk of life there).

I would just suggest visiting downtown Pittsburgh (because it is a cool city) and checking out the Duquesne or Monongahela Incline and also going to the Primanti Bros in the Strip District. It's a cool area and that's the original location.

If you just want the one closest to the park, I believe there is one a few miles from the park, but the experience isn't as good and I'm pretty sure that area isn't the most scenic part of Pittsburgh.

Edit: Here is the link to that location. They are all over Pittsburgh though so there my be one closer to your route in and out from the park. https://www.primantibros.com/locations/north-versailles/

^ I have also heard that from a lot of people about going to the original restaurant.

I have only been to the one in Grove City (twice) and while the "traditional" Primanti burger was not very good, the next visit I got one made with pastrami and it was outstanding.

I have ridden maXair at CP, I've also ridden Riddler Revenge at SFOT. I can safely say that Riddler is the better ride. Riddler was more intense with better speed and altitude and much better airtime than maXair. These Zamperla Giant Discoveries are easily the best flat rides currently available. As seen below, Riddler came with a fantastic light package! I'm not sure if Black Widow has anything like this. But I was curious as to weather all Zamperla Giant Discoveries came with this sort of light package, or if this was something unique to Riddler.

IMG538.thumb.jpg.4cfd593d70a108b2aead33e556f5f556.jpg

Light package on Riddler Revenge at SFOT.

IMG522.thumb.jpg.e667fe00dc34800bae346f4357740576.jpg

IMG524.thumb.jpg.4de3131abd27cc6b12cb72bcf1024a02.jpg

But I was curious as to weather all Zamperla Giant Discoveries came with this sort of light package, or if this was something unique to Riddler.

SpinSpider at Tusenfryd does not feature a light package. But then again there is no need for it since Tusenfryd is never open after dark. Heck, most of the operating season it doesn't really get dark, at least not until very late at night.

Fantastic ride though!

Black Widow's light scheme consists mainly of off-ride floodlights and spots, but there are four small lights at the top as well as a ring of lights on the bottom of the disc.

Yes, Black Widow only has the ring in the underside of the disc. White lights during the season and blue during their Halloween event. No lights on any of the arms. It actually looks cool at night with the minimalist effect.

If I'm not mistaken it's basically a program that runs off a USB stick. Given the cost of these type of lighting packages (>500k) I was certainly not expecting Riddler to be all dressed up and can see why Kennywood chose the cheaper route. But I am thrilled for the Riddler and Catwoman lightning packages, looks great at night. So much so that they have to turn them off after last ride to get people to leave.

^^ I was just thinking the same thing. Since Catwoman and Riddler both have the lights it would have cost a pretty penny. In fact, they probably could have bought another flat ride for what those light packages must have cost.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Sky Rocket was super uncomfortable for me. Good luck riding this if you're over 6 feet tall. The placement of the shin guard left zero room for my feet, and I had to contort my legs in a weird way and turn my feet sideways so the lapbar would close, just like Tempesto

The shooting dark ride at this park is amazing, and the Noah's Ark walkthrough attraction was ridiculously fun; I went through it 3 times. It felt so much like a haunted house, I half expected scare actors to be hiding in the corners. lol

Also, those staircases inside the boat freaked me out a little bit. I've never felt like an amusement park attraction was trying so hard to make me fall and twist my ankle. Good thing I have good balance

My ranking for the coasters in the park:

Thunderbolt > Phantom > Jackrabbit > Racer > Sky Rocket

I actually forgot that Exterminator existed, and I forgot to ride it. whoops

I didn't look at the map and just assumed there was nothing else behind the (very nicely themed) Pittsburg Plunge.

Also, I think I prefer Black Widow to any of the Huss Giant Frisbees I've ridden.

Edited by nannerdw

^^There are some leg restraints that are terrible like Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags America (still a good ride, though), but I didn't have much of a problem with the ones on Sky Rocket. They certainly aren't the ultra-comfy leg restraints that Impulse at Knoebels has, but it's tolerable for me. In my opinion, the INSANE ejector air right after the brake run in the back row is worth any pain. Such an underrated ride for me. Exterminator is really good, but it's just a little forgettable since the park has a lot of rides I absolutely love. So you didn't miss out on that much, but it's one of the top family coasters I've been on. The theme was a lot more detailed than I was expecting!

I asked this question earlier, but never got an answer. Is it better to visit Kennywood on a Saturday or a Sunday in early September if you want shorter lines? I've only been to the park once and that was on a weekday. I also plan on hitting up Waldameer the same weekend.

On another note, that one time I went to the park Exterminator seemed to have the longest and slowest line of all the coasters.

Sky Rocket was super uncomfortable for me. Good luck riding this if you're over 6 feet tall. The placement of the shin guard left zero room for my feet, and I had to contort my legs in a weird way and turn my feet sideways so the lapbar would close, just like Tempesto.

I find rows 1 and 4 to be comfortable. Seems to be just a tad more leg room in those seats. Definitely not the most comfortable trains made.

I asked this question earlier, but never got an answer. Is it better to visit Kennywood on a Saturday or a Sunday in early September if you want shorter lines? I've only been to the park once and that was on a weekday. I also plan on hitting up Waldameer the same weekend.

On another note, that one time I went to the park Exterminator seemed to have the longest and slowest line of all the coasters.

The two days I went here last season were weekdays in August, but I would assume that it's more crowded on Saturdays like most parks are. And yes, Exterminator usually has the longest lines because it's a popular, but lower-capacity ride due to the singe-car trains.

Best strategy with Exterminator is to head there first at rope drop. (It's a hike) Barring any delays in opening you can get in and out within a few minutes. Yes It's tempting to hit the other coasters on the way, but I found this way to work best. Like any park, you go the opposite way of the crowds.

Sky Rocket was super uncomfortable for me. Good luck riding this if you're over 6 feet tall. The placement of the shin guard left zero room for my feet, and I had to contort my legs in a weird way and turn my feet sideways so the lapbar would close, just like Tempesto

The shooting dark ride at this park is amazing, and the Noah's Ark walkthrough attraction was ridiculously fun; I went through it 3 times. It felt so much like a haunted house, I half expected scare actors to be hiding in the corners. lol

Also, those staircases inside the boat freaked me out a little bit. I've never felt like an amusement park attraction was trying so hard to make me fall and twist my ankle. Good thing I have good balance

My ranking for the coasters in the park:

Thunderbolt > Phantom > Jackrabbit > Racer > Sky Rocket

I actually forgot that Exterminator existed, and I forgot to ride it. whoops

I didn't look at the map and just assumed there was nothing else behind the (very nicely themed) Pittsburg Plunge.

Also, I think I prefer Black Widow to any of the Huss Giant Frisbees I've ridden.

It's funny you mention that Noah's Ark was like a haunted house - a couple of months ago I had a dream that they turned it into a haunted dark ride (which I posted in the rollercoaster dreams thread)! I'm glad to hear it is open but I've not been up to KW this year. I worked on parts of the ride offsite over the winter and I am anxious to see it for myself. About how long were the lines?

It's funny you mention that Noah's Ark was like a haunted house - a couple of months ago I had a dream that they turned it into a haunted dark ride (which I posted in the rollercoaster dreams thread)! I'm glad to hear it is open but I've not been up to KW this year. I worked on parts of the ride offsite over the winter and I am anxious to see it for myself. About how long were the lines?

About 10 minutes, in mid-afternoon.

It really was one of the best walk-through attractions I've experienced (even though it's mostly just cheesy props behind glass, and some bare hallways without much decoration, though a couple of the rooms do have some really nice deco). Just the experience of stumbling around through the moving hallways was totally unlike anything else I've experienced. Everyone was falling into each other and laughing hysterically the whole way through

I think I'd rank it as my #2, after Mysterious Mansion in Gatlinburg, though admittedly, I haven't been through very many walk-through attractions yet. I'm planning to do Netherworld in Atlanta this year.

Sky Rocket was super uncomfortable for me. Good luck riding this if you're over 6 feet tall. The placement of the shin guard left zero room for my feet, and I had to contort my legs in a weird way and turn my feet sideways so the lapbar would close

I am 6'2 and it was a tight fit but the shin restraints didn't detract from the ride at all. In fact, I think I like Sky Rocket more than most. I too missed Exterminator but I'd say after Phantom and Jack Rabbit, Sky Rocket was another favorite. Would have loved more rides, great back seat ride (though the end is kinda dull).

And the S:ROS shin restraints don't bother me either. The lapbar into my gut on the final brakes when sitting in the back is what I hate about that ride.

Best strategy with Exterminator is to head there first at rope drop. (It's a hike) Barring any delays in opening you can get in and out within a few minutes. Yes It's tempting to hit the other coasters on the way, but I found this way to work best. Like any park, you go the opposite way of the crowds.

I found that starting a Phantom's Revenge and getting a front row ride quickly before moving to Exterminator worked really well. Don't have to deal with the longer lines for front row and get to face minimal wait for Exterminator.