TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Parque Reunidos is owned by Arle Capital, which is a private equity fund. The way these things work is that they purchase or create companies as investments with the ultimate goal of selling them off or spinning them into independent corporations. In this case, Parque Reunidos has been on the market with open attempts to sell it and all the holdings for over a calendar year at least.

The company most commonly linked with purchasing PR is Apax Partners who are, surprise! another venture capital/private equity firm. They're raising the money to do so, sayeth the smoke signals online. So yes, very possible it and all the PR parks could have a new owner soon.

I just hope it's not a company that doesn't care about the parks at all and just wants to make a quick buck. Kennywood is too good of a park to be ruined like that!

It's owned by a private equity firm, and they don't generally care about the actual quality of the assets. The sale will probably be to another private equity firm, who, again, aren't any different structurally from the first one.

It's owned by a private equity firm, and they don't generally care about the actual quality of the assets. The sale will probably be to another private equity firm, who, again, aren't any different structurally from the first one.

So they don't care about the quality of the assets, does this mean that they pretty much allow the parks to keep their independence, without any major interference from the firm, so long as they keep performing well?

• 3 weeks later...

So they don't care about the quality of the assets, does this mean that they pretty much allow the parks to keep their independence, without any major interference from the firm, so long as they keep performing well?

That's generally how these things work. The investors are putting money into a ton of different types of properties, companies, etc. They're, fortunately, generally smart enough to realize that they can't know how to actually run them all. They just want to see the money coming on from them. As long as that's happening, the Parques Reunidos management probably will barely even know the difference, besides a different name on the checks.

If Parques Reunidos were selling the parks to a different management group, that'd be a different story and possibly mean bigger changes (or possibly not; there weren't many when PR bought the parks to start with), but as far as I know that's not the case.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I say I'm all about the classics, trust me. I mean it.

Anyway. I was stuck in a loophole between either KW or KI. I chose Kennywood. Hopefully no one thinks I was pathetic but I LOVE classics and wooden coasters and Kennywood has great wooden coasters and outstanding classic flats.

So tell me. Was this a good choice? Or should have I gone with KI?

Plus, we're going to Cedar Point after one of these parks.

When I say I'm all about the classics, trust me. I mean it.

Anyway. I was stuck in a loophole between either KW or KI. I chose Kennywood. Hopefully no one thinks I was pathetic but I LOVE classics and wooden coasters and Kennywood has great wooden coasters and outstanding classic flats.

So tell me. Was this a good choice? Or should have I gone with KI?

Plus, we're going to Cedar Point after one of these parks.

Kennywood/Cedar Point is a much better combination than Kings Island/Cedar Point, because of just what you mentioned, getting a classic park in there.

May I make a suggestion and check out Waldameer while you are in the area? Free admission, tons of classics and a top 10 woody. Probably about 2 hours north of Kennywood, but all in the same vicinity with Cedar Pioint.

Sadly, my parents said only those two. The only things I'm mad about missing at Waldameer is Ravine Flyer 2, the Spider, and the Whacky Shack. So again I said Kennywood.

Kennywood has a Paratrooper.

I seriously can't wait for Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt, as even though they're old, they seem to have their intense moments.

DOUBLE DIP

Phantoms Revenge looks intense too.

Kangaroo, TURTLE, Noah's Ark, Paratrooper, and the Whip are making me really excited for this park too!

Sadly, my parents said only those two. The only things I'm mad about missing at Waldameer is Ravine Flyer 2, the Spider, and the Whacky Shack. So again I said Kennywood.

I seriously can't wait for Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt, as even though they're old, they seem to have their intense moments.

DOUBLE DIP

Kangaroo, TURTLE, Noah's Ark, Paratrooper, and the Whip are making me really excited for this park too!

Front seat on Phantom's is amazing. I live about 20 minutes away from the park and go every year. Would highly recommend the front seat on that, although I'm sure you'll get more airtime in the back.

^^ Just an FYI... not sure when your trip is planned for, but since you mentioned Noah's Ark I wanted to point out that it likely won't be open until late May. It's currently undergoing quite a substantial refurb with the return of the whale's mouth entrance and the classic feel of the attraction.

I may be slightly biased, but definitely don't miss Phantom's Revenge... Try not only the back seat of Thunderbolt, but also a seat in the front car... you'll know why after you ride it. Back seat of Jack Rabbit is mandatory and basically a given. Depending on the team member doing the counting, they may or may not be okay with you waiting if you don't manage to get the back... definitely try if you can! If there are people in front of you, chances are they'll go to the front anyways.

By the way, our Kennywood fan site posted our 2016 off-season photos recently if anyone is interested. There are some Ark exterior pics in the album, and we'll be posting interior pics as soon as we get permission from the park. There are some very cool changes happening inside that we can't wait to share!!

DOUBLE DIP

DO NOT miss Bayern Kurve. . . the one at Kennywood is amazing!

and Black Widdow is hella fun.

DOUBLE DIP

Thunderbolt has some of the most ridiculously insane laterals you will ever experience! It is a very unique coaster. Also, The Racer isn't that intense, but it is still a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...
^^ Just an FYI... not sure when your trip is planned for, but since you mentioned Noah's Ark I wanted to point out that it likely won't be open until late May. It's currently undergoing quite a substantial refurb with the return of the whale's mouth entrance and the classic feel of the attraction.

This was open as of this past Saturday.

Yes! They actually had it ready ahead of schedule and open first thing on opening day! I must say... I think they did a fantastic job with the refurb and it's definitely a must-do for anyone visiting the park.