TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Weekdays at Kennywood typically never result in outrageous waits. Usually just a few trains or so despite their very poor efficiency. However, pick a day with the least chance of rain as Kennywood is not afraid to close the entire park for the rest of the day as early as 2:00pm even if it's not going to rain later that day. They give you a come back again rain check, but that doesn't help you out very much when you are traveling a significant distance.

To have minimal waits, head right to Lost Kennywood for Exterminator and Black Widow. Then make your way over to Phantom and Swing Shot. After that the park evens itself out pretty good where the order of rides really doesn't matter in terms of gaining an advantage in less wait time.

I was at Kennywood on Saturday and despite the rain, had a great day. Phantom's Revenge was way better than I remembered it being, which definitely made me happy.

The only downside was that some of the operations (particularly Black Widow) weren't entirely the best. But, it was easy to look past and enjoy the day.

Does anyone know if Kennywood still sells cheese-on-a-stick? I'll be heading there for Phantom Fright Nights this year and would love to indulge in one if they do.

I have to say, I worked the "Lucky" stand across from the Potato Patch many years ago and for all the corn dogs i made (So, So, So many corn dogs!), no one really bought the Cheese on a Stick. Plus, it was oddly difficult to keep from seeping out of the "breading".

• 1 month later...

I will be going to Kennywood for the first time next Saturday and am very excited. They are scheduled from 1030-10, Is it any day that they close early if it's not busy? I am not expecting a huge crowd but I could be wrong, has anyone here gone the weekend after Labor Day and know what kinda crowds I should expect. Also I will be in an RV ,does Kennywood charge for parking? If so is it more for an RV, any help is appreciated,thanks

Below is a link to the page on Kennywood's web-site about parking. You may be able to use Gate D, since it's for buses, but I would contact the park beforehand just to make sure.

https://www.kennywood.com/hours-and-directions/parking

I can't speak to the crowds since I've only been there once, and that was this past July.

• 1 month later...

This thread has been a bit dormant for a while, so thought I'd throw out a few questions for the Kennywood locals:

-What are the crowds like for their Phantom Fright Nights (particularly on Fridays). I have an impromptu trip to Pittsburgh this weekend and thought I might check it out. I know a lot of the local haunts (Six Flags) aren't as crowded on Fridays, but separate events (like at Cedar Fair Parks) usually are.

Forecast looks great (and night rides on Phantom's Revenge are some of my favorites).

This thread has been a bit dormant for a while, so thought I'd throw out a few questions for the Kennywood locals:

-What are the crowds like for their Phantom Fright Nights (particularly on Fridays). I have an impromptu trip to Pittsburgh this weekend and thought I might check it out. I know a lot of the local haunts (Six Flags) aren't as crowded on Fridays, but separate events (like at Cedar Fair Parks) usually are.

Forecast looks great (and night rides on Phantom's Revenge are some of my favorites).

Haven't been to PFN yet this season (hopefully will make it on the last night of Sat. 11/1), but in the past crowds have been pretty minimal in my experience. Since next weekend (10/24 and 10/25) is not half price college nights, the college aged crowds will not be heavy like they are on those half price nights. I can't think of anything else major happening in and around Pittsburgh to attract/lighten crowds, so it should be a pretty typical night. I wouldn't expect any waits for major rides to be much longer than 15-20 minutes, possibly slightly longer if the weather ends up being really nice.

Enjoy!

I wouldn't expect any waits for major rides to be much longer than 15-20 minutes, possibly slightly longer if the weather ends up being really nice.

Oooh, I disagree with that. I went on Saturday the 11th (half-price was on the following day) and the waits for the majority of the attractions were terrible. We couldn't get on Sky Rocket because the queue was over an hour long the entire night. Phantom's had to be a half hour at least, even after they put the second train on. Exterminator's was just under an hour. Don't even get me started on the haunted walk-throughs.

On a normal day this isn't a huge deal but when the park is only open for five hours, making sacrifices is required. Keep in mind that the attractions' queues close fairly early so that the last people riding get off when the park closes.

^Yikes I've never seen it that bad on PFN before personally. Although that could have been due to it being Columbus Day Weekend.

Agreed on that last part though. With only 5ish hours to work with, you're going to have to skip some attractions, even with light to moderate crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post.

I'm thinking of heading to Kennywood Saturday night for the last fright night of the season. Unfortunately, the weather is calling for a ~60% chance of showers, and it's going to be fairly windy and cold by opening (potentially low 40's/upper 30's). I know this could obviously change, because Pittsburgh weather is unpredictable.

My question is, is there a certain temperature where Kennywood does not operate some coasters or other rides? Anyone have any experience with this? Also how is their rain policy? Their website doesn't touch much on the subject.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone here checked out Holiday Lights?

I visited for the first time during thanksgiving weekend. The event was fun not to mention cheap ($17 per person at the gate) and the lights are beautiful, I also enjoyed being able to take a spin on Turtle and Ghostwood Estate during the winter. However lines during our visit got insanely long for everything so we only got to do a few things. It also doesn't help the park is only open for a short time (5-9pm).

I would love to see the park expand park hours in the future and open more of the park for the event. Seems like they have so much potential to grow.

• 3 months later...

Anybody planning on going to the spring fling event at the park?

A couple of questions that maybe somebody can help us with....

Looking on several hotel websites, it does not look like there is a hotel less than 5 miles from the park. Is there a hotel that anyone can recommend?

Also, we are looking for another park in the area(or west of the park in route back to Michigan) that is open. I looked on rcdb, but it seems that all perks in the area do not open till may or the next weekend. Any suggestions on something else to do in the area while we are there?

You could always stay in Downtown Pittsburgh, but you'll have to deal with the traffic and the nasty road construction going on in the Ft. Pitt Tunnel right now. I always recommend staying in the Belle Vernon area. Even though your choices are limited, you can eliminate the Pittsburgh traffic. All of the hotels are easily accessed from I-70, and you can use Rts 51 & 837 instead of the usual way of going through Downtown Pittsburgh on I-376. However, the trade-off is that you're going to be 30 minutes away from the park.

As for other things to do in Pittsburgh, the zoo is always a winner in my book. Although it is fairly straightforward to get to usually, the road construction will be a major issue.

Looking on several hotel websites, it does not look like there is a hotel less than 5 miles from the park. Is there a hotel that anyone can recommend?

I usually recommend staying at one of the hotels at the Waterfront in Homestead. It would only be about a 5-10 minute drive from the park and easy to find (straight North on 837, the main road that the park is on).

https://goo.gl/maps/46HCK

Another option a bit futher away but perhaps a bit cheaper would be on Lebanon Church Road in West Mifflin. These would be more like a 15-20 minute drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/tWU3r

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't at the park today, but here are some updates on what's new, via social media:

-It's confirmed that the park is building a 4D theatre in the Pirate/Music Express area, set to open sometime this year.

-Noah's Ark supposedly has a few new scenes this year, although the "flooding" bit at the end is still not operational.

-Aero 360 has new LED lights.

-The Parkside Cafe has been upgraded a bit with new seating and whatnot.

-Oreo Churros?

-New Rita's Italian Ice locations (one being next to Racer).

Also, there was apparently a large fight that broke out in the Kiddieland area of the park tonight involving about 100 people. They were kicked out and the fighting continued at the McDonald's across the street.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/breaking-large-fight-reported-kennywood/nk7yn/

The park has clearly spent money on beautification this year. Fresh paint everywhere, lots of landscaping and mulch, plenty of subtle improvements. The park maps do confirm the 4D theater in the old Playdium building. While it's clearly weeks away it's definitely taking shape. Looks like most of the brick work and roofing are done. The facade still needs finished though. I'd guess late June if everything is on schedule.