TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

It's rarely over an hour. Although The Phantom got new train bodies this year and they were having problems with it so they are only running one train. It may be fixed by when you go though. Other than that I wouldn't expect too much of a problem getting on every ride. Memorial day weekend tends to be fuzzy so you'll really have to see.

^That explains why they were only running one train last weekend. The line was around an hour or so long and it seemed un-Kennywood like to not run multiple trains when the line was building up. Everything else other than Thunderbolt (which didn't need multiple trains) ran multiple trains all day.

Phantom was single train on sunday. (and most likely all weekend) They actually pulled it out of the VIP coaster tour(prorated). However to kennywood's credit they listed two rides as being closed for the day: rapids and bayern curve, had both operating by early afternoon.

Finally got a full day in at kennywood, including the log flume, rapids, boat walkthrough, lil phantom(still counts). Really a lot to do here, and can't overlook the quality of rides(phantom, jack rabbit, racer and thunderbolt). The new thunderbolt front car looks great(red train only so far).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm going to be visiting Kennywood the first week of July, I believe. What are the crowds usually like? Would it be vastly different on a Thursday vs Friday? And would a half day at this park work for getting all the rides in (6 or 7 hours)?

Thanks!

I was there last year on July 1st, it was a Monday. I only had 3 1/2 hours and was able to ride all the coasters except Lil' Phantom (even though you don't need a kid to ride) and also rode 6 or 7 non coaster rides. The only coaster with a line was Phantom's Revenge since only 1 train was running. The low crowds might have been an exception to normal though since it was supposed to rain and only rained for about 20 minutes earlier in the day. I was there from 6:00 to 9:30 that day.

We were there just over a week ago on a Tuesday, and although they had the sign saying Phantom was only running one train (and sorry for the inconvenience), by noon they had two cars running and the line moving quickly.

in fact, everything in the park was running except for Volcano, and we loved the park. . . spending a good 8 hours there and riding everything (except for 4 things we agreed to skip: the Meteor/Kennywood Arrow, Bumper Cars, Pirate, and Supreme Swing). . .but did all the coasters multiple times, and even rode some of the flats multiple times.

I dunno about on a Friday, the kids are for sure out of school in July, and the lack of large groups (and the weather forecast) certainly helped us out.

but we had a grand time regardless -- Jackrabbit just might be in my top 2 all time coasters.

Hey don't knock the PLC 5. They are still powering a few B&Ms out there along with a number of other rides even without the help of a SLC. Granted we would be quite happy to upgrade them to a nice guardlogix safety PLC for a reasonable price.

-Brian

Hey don't knock the PLC 5. They are still powering a few B&Ms out there along with a number of other rides even without the help of a SLC. Granted we would be quite happy to upgrade them to a nice guardlogix safety PLC for a reasonable price.

-Brian

Oh my goodness I didn't expect you to reply. There are so many things I would love to ask you someday about controls for rides. It seems so similar yet completely different from the S88 philosophy I use for food and beverage systems. Do you guys use Ethernet, DeviceNet, or ControlNet?

-Brian

Oh my goodness I didn't expect you to reply. There are so many things I would love to ask you someday about controls for rides. It seems so similar yet completely different from the S88 philosophy I use for food and beverage systems. Do you guys use Ethernet, DeviceNet, or ControlNet?

All of the above, although at this point mainly Ethernet. ASi networks have become very popular too as of late due to their ease of use and the fact they communicate over the same cables as their 24vdc power.

I haven't had much of a chance to post in a while but I try to follow the threads. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions or ask us on our facebook page. We love to talk about what we do.

-Brian

^ Will do! I'll get some of my questions put together more formally. ASi is pretty good right now, especially in my industry. When we're doing projects with 100+ valves with feedback it's awesome to just grab two IFM controllers for each panel and run two of those yellow ribbon cables into the field versus a huge block of Flex I/O with a ton of discrete wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I don't post on here, I might as well point out a few relevant things about myself. I just got into coasters last-year; so I haven't been to a lot of parks. But I do want to remedy that in the coming years. I am probably one of the few people on this forum that still holds on to the handles/bars. I only raise my hands on coasters that I have ridden several times.

I was able to go to Kennywood on June 28th (a Saturday). Here is a quick-ish trip report:

The only coaster I didn't get to ride was Exterminator. The weather was starting to turn so we decided to head home for the day.

The standout for me was Phantom's Revenge. This is my first Chance Morgan so the only ride I can compare it to is Magnum. I love Magnum so I knew I would like this ride. With each violent hill and snap turn I fell more and more in love with this ride, even more so than Magnum. But shhhh! Don't tell Maggie that! However, despite the violent drops and snaps I never at once actually felt pain. I yelled out, "Ow" but it was more just instinct and fun than anything else. Magnum doesn't hurt me like it does with some people so I can't tell if others will be in pain from this ride. However, I did like the foamy-soft lap-bars on this ride.

EDIT: Here is a transcript of me riding Phantom's Revenge: WEE! OW! OW! WEEEEE! OW! WEE-OW! OH MY GOSH! THIS IS-OW-FUN!

Thunderbolt was pure no-seat-belt fun. I wish Jack Rabbit and Racer had no dividers and no seat belts. I love being able to slide in my seat and give loved ones some loving gravity squishes. My girlfriend was on the, "Wrong-side" and I was able to squish up against her the entire time. And since she doesn't read these forums: I didn't help matters but trying to shove myself against her.

Jack-Wabbit - I mean Rabbit, is the oldest coaster I have been able to ride (so far). Like Thunderbolt. I love how the ride just gets "started" right away. The "surprise" air-time hill toward the end got me laughing pretty hard. I just wish this had the old-school seats; no divider and no belts.

Racer - I loved the Racer sign. Although a fun ride, for me the ride didn't really stand out compared to the other rides at the park. I did get a kick out of my girlfriend going, "Hey, Wait a minute! We flipped sides."

SkyRocket - What a fun little ride! Wee! Air-time!

Noah's Ark and the other dark rides (or fun houses) were some old-school fun. Or at least old-school with a modernish update (attacking food from a comic-strip cat for example). My home park is Cedar Point so I will take advantage of any other park's dark-rides. If you come here and skip over the dark-rides, you're doing yourself a major disfavor.

Overall, I liked the park. The old-school rides gave me an experience I may not always get to take advantage of. I mean I even rode Auto Race. Although the park was NOT trashy I felt that the park needed a little more TLC. From a fresh coat of paint to weeding. I also felt that the drink options were limited. One flavor of Gatorade anyone? I hope the later doesn't sound nit-picky, but when you're hot and sweaty you want something that quenches your thirst.

Those two negatives don't take enough away from this park - this is a must-visit park. And even though I despise their NFL team (seriously Manziel - you better be the real deal) I do think Pittsburgh has a great home park.

Jack-Wabbit - I mean Rabbit, is the oldest coaster I have been able to ride (so far). Like Thunderbolt. I love how the ride just gets "started" right away. The "surprise" air-time hill toward the end got me laughing pretty hard. I just wish this had the old-school seats; no divider and no belts.

Jack rabbit doesn't have dividers... In fact, it only really has a seat belt. It doesn't even have bars that come down. I mean, its got the one that's fixed there, but that's only to grab on to. So this already kinda has the old school seats...

Going in two days! Any suggestions for the best seats on the rides? Which rides should I go to first, or do they all have pretty good operations? Best place for food? Is there beer?

I followed the advice to head for Exterminator first (it's an indoor dark, spinning, wild mouse).

we stopped along the way and rode Phantom's Revenge and Black Widow (as they are on the way, and right next to each other on the way), and got to Exterminator within 20 minutes of opening, and had about a 10 minute wait. So yeah. .that line gets long FAST, and will stay long the whole day, even on a "dead day" like it was when we were there.

personally, I did not care for it, but my partner loved it. so yeah, we headed towards exterminator, doing Phantom, Black Widow, Exterminator, Whip, the swings, and then just started around the park clockwise riding things as we got to them (meaning we ended up at Skyrocket much later in the day, but it worked for us).

Make sure not to miss Garfield's Nightmare (between Jack Rabbit and SkyRocket). . it's entrance is kind of "hidden" -- you go up stairs to cross behind a building. It's cheezy, sure, but the 3D effects are fun, and it's a cute indoor water/dark ride, that you can tell used to be a tunnel of love type of attraction.

I started a thread before our trip called "where should we eat". . . http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68134&hilit=eat

that has some good suggestions

but the best place for sure was Potato Patch. . it was great! Right in front of Thunderbolt

Kennywood has a "VIP Coaster Tour" that gets you on the coasters without waiting in line. It's only like $15 or something. That's probably your best bet for Exterminator because that line frequently sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood closed at 2:00pm today. The inclement weather has mostly all moved east of the park. Parking lot traffic is jammed as thousands on people are trying to leave as the sun shines. Rain checks or not, this is a terrible business move.

Got evacuated from Sky Rocket, so I guess that's one positive.