TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

We are very excited to announce the addition of a new Irvine Ondrey Engineering control system to the classic Auto Race at Kennywood. This is a very special project for me as I grew up only 15 minutes from the park and worked there in games for three years. Kennywood was the place that convinced me I wanted to spend the rest of my life working in the amusement industry along with being the home of the very first coaster I ever rode (Dipper). We can't wait to work with the park on this project and I am thrilled to see such a classic and unique ride getting an upgrade.

[attachment=0]kennywood.jpg[/attachment]

Will this change be ready for the 2014 season? It sounds like it is going to be awesome!

^Actually the ride testing and training was all completed on Saturday so the ride is good to go for opening. I need to write more on it and post some pictures on our company page, but have been travelling. It's a busy season!

^^ Looking forward to learning more about it.

P.S. We completely redesigned Kennywood Connection a couple months ago and added a lot of new content... we'd appreciate you guys checking it out. Link is in my signature.

^^^ Awesome to hear! I think it's great you guys are helping to preserve a true classic at the park! Looking forward to hearing more about it, and looking forward to taking a spin on the Auto Race when the park opens up for the season!

^ The new site looks great.....although it won't let me login to the forums.....

^ The new site looks great.....although it won't let me login to the forums.....

Thanks! Clear your browser's cookies to fix the login issue... PM me if you need further assistance. I don't want to clutter up this thread.

^Actually the ride testing and training was all completed on Saturday so the ride is good to go for opening. I need to write more on it and post some pictures on our company page, but have been travelling. It's a busy season!

Awesome, I can't wait to see it! I wish I could be there on opening day!

^^^ Pennstater, the new forum looks great!

Glad you guys like it!

Thank you for the update on the Auto Race, IOE! I look forward to seeing the changes that have been made, and I'm sure everyone on the crew will love them.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Cool video. Looking forward to my first visit of the season in a week or so!

Saw some pictures posted from Saturday's opening day. I think the Johnny Rockets location looks pretty good from the outside. I like that the main vibe of the old carousel building appears to be staying in tact. I'll definitely check it out at some point this year. The new "ordering kiosks" for the Potato Patch are interesting. I'll be curious to see if it helps the lines when the park gets really busy. By the look of the one picture I saw, it appears that there are 3 ordering kiosks, but I'm not positive on that. Also, the new Phantom trains don't appear that much different (which is probably a good thing!).....although I would've liked to have seen them keep the "Kennywood" decal on the front of the train. Very minor thing, for sure, but it looked a little weird without it.

Also, the new headlights that returned to the Thunderbolt look GREAT!!

I'm really liking the new headlights and grilles. With this project and a revamp of Phantom's Revenge car bodies, I hope to see Kennywood getting back to focusing on the smaller cosmetic details of attractions. Over the past few years it has seemed Kennywood has been getting slightly rough around the edges.

I just got rerouted to Pittsburgh last minute and am going to have a couple hours to hit up Kennywood tomorrow. I only have until 1230. Will I be able to hit all the coasters? Thanks for any pointers. Also anybody have an idea of the cost of a cab from downtown to the park? I can do the bus but could get more time with a cab.

I was reading that the gates open at 1030 but the rides open progressively at 11. Anybody know how that works? What coasters open first? Is it front of park to back or what?

Gates open at 10:30 and guests can walk around the entire park and most rides open at 11 while some open at 12. If I remember right Lost Kennywood rides are the last to open.

It will be tough to get all the credits in with such a short time but Kennywood does sell front of line passes by Garfield's Nightmare which should help.

All the coasters open at 11.

If I remember correctly, the following rides open at 12 unless otherwise noted:

Raging Rapids

Pittsburg Plunge

Whip

Musik Express

Noah's Ark

Auto Race (11:30)

Ghostwood Estate

Some Kiddieland rides (12:00 or 1:00)

If you want to get all the credits before 12:30, go straight to Exterminator at opening. From there do Phantom, then Thunderbolt, then the other three in any order you so choose.

Note, I'm pretty sure none of the line-skipping passes give you any freedom to choose your times. On the plus side, there are several unusual options within their setup including a la carte, front seat, and various sets of rides.

Hey guys, I'll be taking a trip to Kennywood for my first time on Saturday, from reading this thread my friends & I are going to get Exterminator out of the way first. I'll also be getting my 50th credit so I believe I'm going to make that Phantom's Revenge. My big questions is are we able to get the Lil' Phantom credit without a child with us? And any other tips you all can give would be appreciated! Thanks!

My big questions is are we able to get the Lil' Phantom credit without a child with us?

Yup. Never had a problem (in 2011 and 2013), even when there was a bit of a wait.

Have fun!

Awesome! Thanks! Gonna make this weekend that much better!

I was actually just wondering why I seem to be perennially confused about the rules for Lil' Phantom despite having ridden it. Well, it sounds like there was a restriction years ago that was eventually removed. Yay credit whoring!

I was actually just wondering why I seem to be perennially confused about the rules for Lil' Phantom despite having ridden it. Well, it sounds like there was a restriction years ago that was eventually removed. Yay credit whoring!

Perhaps the only remaining restriction is your sense of personal shame?