TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have information on Kennywood's skip-the-line passes (VIP Coaster Tour?). There is nothing on their website about it, I'd like to know how much it costs, and I've heard rumours of a front-seat upgrade option?

Last season they were letting VIP Coaster Tour people sit wherever they wanted. Also, if you get to the park early in the morning and start by Exterminator and work away from there, the lines won't be horrible enough to really dictate buying the VIP Coaster Tour which was to my knowledge around $25. If you can't handle a maximum wait time of 30 min, then maybe you should buy it. However, be warned that you can only use the VIP pass once on each coaster.

If anything, Kennywood needs a VIP Flat Ride Tour because they seem to be horribly slow loading Black Widow, Swing Shot, and Aero 360.

^ Yep, it really is a pretty awesome deal! Since I have a season pass I've yet to get one of these VIP passes, but this year there are times I may be there with friends when it's busier, and I wouldn't hesitate at all suggesting one to maximize the fun on a busier day. And really not bad at all that for only 3 bucks more you can ensure front seat rides!

Went to the park for opening day, and it seemed pretty busy to me. The wait times were really long due to some pretty bad operations (full queue on Thunderbolt with one train operation, etc).

My group opted to get skip the line passes (VIP Day pass was $15 and the VIP night pass was $10) so we got plenty of rides without issue. Hoping to make it back sometime in the fall.

Phantom's Revenge

Went to the park for opening day, and it seemed pretty busy to me.

Perhaps it was busy compared to Kennywood's normal standards (I've only been there twice so I don't know). but it certainly wasn't so busy that it would have me complaining or regretting that I went.

As I stated in my TR, lots of peeps complaining about wait times on black widow. Which I did not ride.

^I went one year during Memorial Weekend and the park got so crowded that the extra queing lines for the Phantom's Revenge was actually filled up ( and they were running two trains as well!!!)! And because they opened up the extra parking spots located on top of the hill, I took this opportunity to take a ride on the sky lift (even though I was parked near the front) after I lefted the park during the evening time. Well, after I got to the top, they wouldn't let me ride back down due to some ruling about this sky lift is old and can only handle one side at a time and all that other stuff. So I ended up walking down the hill to get to my vehicle.

But that was my only visit to the park in which Kennywood was so crowded, and I've been to the park at least ten times besides that visit and the park had a normal crowd during those other visits. Methinks the best times to visit Kennywood would be during a week day, when the sky looks gloomy, and when it isn't a holiday. When the crowds are light, you'll be able to do more and have an enjoyable day.

As for me and my friend, we're going there on the first day of our vacation in July, and we'll see if my friend can survive the attack of THE BLACK WIDOW!!!

^ "The final scene in Noah's Ark is still out of commission?"

"Feeling sad and blue? Then lay your head upon me and I'll make you feel better!"

"Hey pillow, do me and some people who visit this site a favor and SHUT THE (your favorite swear word inserted here) UP before I have a heart attack and kill somebody!!!

And after that, I don't think we'll see poor old pillow anymore.

But you will see this:

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

There was a discussion awhile back on kpconnection in regards to the flooding chamber being down. I do not remember it word for word. However, I believe it being down has something to do with the accessibility of the equipment that runs the chamber. If I remember correctly they would have to tear out large portion a back wall or the actual chamber itself to replace parts. Thus, they may be just waiting for a a complete overhaul of the ride. I am personally hoping they overhaul the whole Ark again. When they cut many of the scenes due to budget of needing to rebuild the whole boat, the ride just did not flow properly in my opinion with the intended theme. The intended story would have been a good one.

I am hoping that the neglect on the ride is part of the plan of a larger make over in the next few years.

I believe they had a solid theme with the last makeover with the Archeological aspect. From my faded memory, the elevator was supposed to to be the way to get to the lost / found Ark. Once the elevator failed you would land in the section that has the skeletons that you walk over. I think this was supposed to represent archeologists that also died trying to find the ark. After that it is pretty much the original Ark theme through the boat until the high seas room. I believe this was supposed to represent turbulence conditions within the Ark dig site. Then would have been the room that has nothing now (cut from budget) this room was supposed to have scaffolding that was moving like it was in an earthquake. You would then enter into the flood chamber that would start flooding and escape the dig site.

I am not sure if I would like to see them finish this concept or bring back the whale entrance and the hippo scene with the bridge.

Please, do not even get me started on what happened to the Old Mill...

So, I was flipping through channels yesterday and I came across an episode of A&E's Shipping Wars where they were shipping the giant spider for Black Widow's entrance and that the ride wouldn't open without it.

Which, as we know, is kind of sort of a blatant lie because the ride opened without the cave entrance.

Posted by ACE Western Pennsylvania on Facebook:

While it's almost a full month after Black Widow's debut, it's elaborate entrance being installed is worth reporting on and posting here. In this July 30 photo, you can see the overview of the new entrance with the spider on top of it, and the yet-to-be-installed legs laid out in front.

I just thought that it was interesting.

They had to create some false drama to make the segment interesting.

We've been told that once something is done with the Ark, they'd like to make a lot of changes to it at that time... including possibly bringing back the whale mouth entrance. When that will happen is anyone's guess. I'll trust their judgement on prioritizing projects.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys and gals! My friend and I will be making our first visit to Kennywood on July 14 and 15th! We were just wondering if any of you local enthusiasts wanted to show us around your home park! We're really hoping to get the full experience while we're there! Either way if interested PM me!

• 4 weeks later...

No, they did not. They actually posted this caption with a photo about 2 hours ago: "We're open and NOT flooded! The guests that are here seem to be enjoying themselves!"

However, there are strong storms approaching right now, with a tornado already sighted. KW has already stated they will close today at 5:30pm due to this.