TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Posted by ACE Western Pennsylvania on Facebook:

While it's almost a full month after Black Widow's debut, it's elaborate entrance being installed is worth reporting on and posting here. In this July 30 photo, you can see the overview of the new entrance with the spider on top of it, and the yet-to-be-installed legs laid out in front.

427464_489478724414308_1705869944_n.jpg.65db65d282b6ea0cb85bccb3993bc688.jpg

I finally made it out to Pittsburgh on Tuesday and went to Kennywood. It really is Pittsburgh's park and everything feels very local which isn't a bad thing.

When I got there I was initially worried because the lines for most of the coasters looked very full however that did not prove to be an issue at all since the lines all moved at a constant speed. The ride ops were a mixed bag however. Some such as the ones on Sky Rocket and Phantom's Revenge were extremely enthusiastic and efficient, others such as the ones on Sky Swing were not so good. The park itself is very beautiful and is perched on the side of a cliff which makes the coasters very unique.

Jack Rabbit - This coaster was something of a surprise, when we got there the line was spilling out of the queue however it still was only a 15 minute wait. It didn't seem like much until the double down which was absolutely insane. It was fun and was perfect for younger coaster riders. 8/10

Racer- They were only running 2 trains but the line still went really fast, it was my least favorite coaster in the park but not because it was a bad ride. It just didn't do too much and compared to Lightning Racer it wasn't my favorite racing coaster. Again its not a bad ride just my least favorite in a park of very good coasters. 7/10

Thunderbolt - I don't know how to describe this coaster, it is really one of a kind. The drops before the lift provide some good airtime and the laterals in the helix after the drop off the lift hill were incredible. It was made even better with the NAD trains with no seat belts. It was pure nostalgia and in my opinion the best wooden coaster at the park. 8.5/10

Phantom's Revenge - This ride is insane and relentless. The drop into the ravine just didn't seem to end and it never lost speed throughout the entire course. The airtime was also crazy on those last ending hills and it easily shot up to number 3 in my top steel coasters. The restraints were also some of the most comfortable on any coaster I have been on and most coasters should have the seatbelts that just retract into the side of the car. 9.5/10

Exterminator - I probably wouldn't have rated this as high as I am going to if it hadn't been for my friends riding with me. It just wouldn't stop spinning. Other then that its your standard spinning mouse in a building. 7.5/10

Sky Rocket - This coaster was weird. The launch and the first half were very fun but it felt like it had no soul. I really cannot explain it, it was too smooth, too quiet and kinda fizzled out at the end. I never thought I would say the words too smooth when describing a coaster but it was and honestly Phantom's Revenge was much better. It however is perfect for the park, not so intense that kids wouldn't ride it but not so dull that it isn't fun. It wasn't bad, it was just a bit weird. 8/10

Overall this park was very nice, it had a good atmosphere and the food was good (Much better then anything Six Flags or Cedar Fair serves). It had a very good flats package and the only complaint I have about that is the cycle was a bit short for Sky Swing. I would make a stop at this park if I was in the area again as it really works well with what it has and its coaster line-up is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Glad you had a great time! And I totally agree with your reviews of the coasters.....as for Sky Rocket being "too smooth", I'll just say we locals certainly appreciate a looping coaster like that when compared to the original Steel Phantom that would box your ears like crazy! I dig that coaster more and more each time I ride it.

As for Black Widow's new entrance posted above, I actually really like it! To me it's a small touch that really polishes off the ride. I'm heading there for the 3rd time this season on Sunday, and I hope to finally get a chance to ride it!

So I live about an hour south of Kennywood down in WV. I work with several people who live up within about a 15 mile radius of the Kennywood area. Apparently there is a rumor going around that Pitfall sold to a park somewhere in Iran or Iraq (I have heard both). The rumor so goes that upon installing it that the U.S. had their eye on it and didn't know what it was so... THEY BLEW IT TO BITS! Quite a humorous rumor, but apparently a lot of people are seriously believing it. I did look up some info but couldn't find if Pitfall actually sold or not.

So my question is - did it sell? Get scrapped? Warehouse storage? Or did she meet her maker in the desert by way of a laser guided missle in a duststorm of glory?

On another note - blowing rides up as way of demolition sounds fun. I'd buy a ticket!

So I live about an hour south of Kennywood down in WV. I work with several people who live up within about a 15 mile radius of the Kennywood area. Apparently there is a rumor going around that Pitfall sold to a park somewhere in Iran or Iraq (I have heard both). The rumor so goes that upon installing it that the U.S. had their eye on it and didn't know what it was so... THEY BLEW IT TO BITS! Quite a humorous rumor, but apparently a lot of people are seriously believing it. I did look up some info but couldn't find if Pitfall actually sold or not.

So my question is - did it sell? Get scrapped? Warehouse storage? Or did she meet her maker in the desert by way of a laser guided missle in a duststorm of glory?

On another note - blowing rides up as way of demolition sounds fun. I'd buy a ticket!

Son of Beast

^ I would think that it would take more than some tea-totalling trolls yammering about drunk people destroying the parks clean, non-corrupt family standards before they would make such a decision. It could make for an interesting question at a Q&A session with park management in the future though!

Not that this would ever dissuade me from going to the park, but I think it's silly that they would pass up a chance to charge an arm and a leg for someone that wanted to have a cold beer or two on a hot day. Yeah, there will be occasional idiots that overdo it, but your gain is going to far outweigh the rare negativity that it could potentially cause on any given day.

I just happen to like beer and would much rather pay $8 for a beer (and NOT Iron City!) or two during the day than pay $3-4 for a soda, which I don't care for (unless it's mixed with Jack, of course).

I do remember seeing a newspaper article about a week ago saying they did get the license, but figured to open the garden next season. The park did have an Oktoberfest setup around this time last year at the stage area, so perhaps that will take place at the beer garden this year instead.

My wife and I were curious if they'd have an Oktoberfest setup again this year, as right now there is NO sign of the beer garden. To us it looked like the area they were setting up for the beer garden is now the new BBQ food stand/area. Perhaps that area will eventually also be where the beer is sold, who knows.

Sunday was a great day at the park! Weather was gorgeous, and crowds were moderate but not too bad. Phantom is running as awesome as ever this year.....I really love that coaster and its massive amounts of bucking airtime! Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I saw PennStater checking restraints like a champ on Phantom that day. We got rides on all the other coasters except Exterminator, and just enjoyed the park at a leisurely pace. That's one of the things I love about having the season pass there. I never feel rushed to do things since we know we'll be back again. They had some presents up again advertising for the park's Holiday Lights Christmas event, which we thought was very well done last season. I'm curious to see when it starts this year and if/how they expand it.

For those that work there, I have to ask, what has been up with Black Widow? As it was, it opened late, and in the 3 visits I've made since it finally opened, it has been closed all day. Is there some specific problem they're having with it? I know newer rides have their issues, and eventually I will get to ride it. However, we both noticed some decent amounts of grumbling among general park-goers on Sunday with it down. Terms like "lemon", "dud", and "nice big lawn ornament" were getting thrown around. It's a shame it has been so problematic for them so far, especially since their one big explanation for removing Pitt Fall was that it was not the most reliable ride. On the plus side, the whole area around Black Widow looks fantastic, and I dig the new entrance even more in person!

Ride Count for Sunday:

Phantom x2

Sky Rocket x2 (Each time I ride this thing, the more I feel that it was an absolutely perfect addition....total fun!!)

T-Bolt

Jack Rabbit

Racer

Swing Shot

Wave Swinger

Ghostwood Estate

Carousel

Kennywood Railroad

Gran Prix

Looking forward to one more visit in September before my favorite time of Kennywood's season - Phantom Fright Nights!

The beer garden and BBQ area are pretty much the same area. I believe the way it is supposed to work is that the BBQ and tables for eating are on the right side of the BBQ stand while the beer garden is on the left side of the stand (at least that's how it appears currently). I think the idea is that you'll be able to order barbecue from either side.

You're right... I was in fact working at Phantom on Sunday! I always do my best to get restraints checked as quickly as I can while still being safe, of course. I should be there or at Black Widow if/when it reopens every weekend until the end of Fright Nights! Speaking of Black Widow, I can't really say for certain since I only just started working and haven't even been trained on it yet. I do know what's wrong with it currently... but am not really allowed to say. I do know it's listed as one of the rides that will be open for Phantom Fright Nights, so I'm sure they will be doing their best to get it back open as soon as they can. Let's hope that it's working 100% and all the bugs will be worked out for next season.

Holiday Lights has an expanded schedule this year, as well as a couple additional rides and more area of the park open. The entire park will be accessible, other than Lost Kennywood and Volcano Valley. Dates are Friday, Saturday and Sunday Nights, November 23 through December 30 plus December 26 & 27 from 5 to 9pm. At least one additional ride that will be open is Ghostwood Estate, which will receive a special holiday makeover!