TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Has there been any updated word on when Black Widow is opening? OR if it already has? I'm going Saturday, it'd be cool to have it open by then.

There were some little last minute changes that had to be made, and as of Monday team members had not yet begun training on the ride. That's supposedly going to happen any day now... If they were to start training today, I'd say it might be able to open Saturday... but I wouldn't really count on it.

Supposedly they built the fence to close to the ride, so they had to move it out a couple of meters so nobody would be hit by the ride. How they made that mistake is beyond my understanding..

^ Well, I believe this is the first Giant Discovery ever where guests can actually walk under at least one support leg and get quite so close to the ride, plus the first built in this country, so I'm guessing there's going to be a bit of a learning experience involved in general. Just like the prototype trains on Sky Rocket where the link between the two cars had to eventually be lengthened since the seats got so close to the riders in the first row of the second car.

Went to the park last Sunday for the first time this season to take advantage of the "Bring a Buddy" day. Always great heading back into the home park for the first time of a season. Weather wasn't too bad overall. It was very hot/humid the first part of the day, but once some storms rolled through for about an hour or so in the late afternoon it actually got quite comfortable! We ended up staying until about 8:00, and as we left you could see lightning again off in the distance.

Crowds were fairly heavy, but we thought the lines moved great, which is a kudos to the ride crews! I know early in the season can be rough as crews get used to things with some new members, but they seem to be picking things up fast. Great job guys and gals!! Phantom switched over to 2 trains fairly early (around 1....although it still baffles me why they don't just open the coaster with 2 already. It's not like the ride is unpopular!), and had a line that came just about back to the ride's entrance, although the switchbacks weren't being used. Despite that, when we rode it only took us about 30-35 minutes to get on. Sky Rocket had a queue that was about 3/4 full, and it took maybe 25 minutes. That crew has been awesome since the coaster opened. It amazes me how quick they keep those 2 trains cycling!

We got 1 ride on all the coasters except for Exterminator, and also got on Ghostwood Estate, Paratrooper, and Log Jammer. Also checked out the new "Steel City Rhythm" show and we both thought it was pretty good. Very lively and entertaining. Phantom was running in insane mode and overflowing with airtime.....WOW!! That is seriously an underrated coaster! The woodies were all in top shape, and Sky Rocket was simply awesome. I don't know what it is about that ride, but I totally dig Sky Rocket. I just love it more and more each time I ride it!

Lastly, Black Widow and the surrounding area looks fantastic! I'm really looking forward to riding it. They tested it once that I saw in the afternoon, but it was not spinning and only went up to what I'd guess was 3/4 of the maximum height. Not sure what's up with it, if anything. Not a huge complaint, but it is a bit frustrating that there seems to be this new trend of new rides opening later and later. I remember as a kid that new rides opened on opening day for the park, period. Just an interesting change to what we see today.

Heading over there this Sunday, wanted to find out about Black Widow. So I posted a comment on a few facebook pages and this is the reply I got......take it for what it's worth, but it came from Kennywood Connection......

Going Sunday June, 10.....any word on Black Widow yet???

Like ·

Kennywood Connection It sounds very promising for you

7 minutes ago · Like

And now this.

A local state senator wants more opportunity for the public to weigh in on Kennywood Park's decision to sell beer.

State Sen. Jim Ferlo, D-Highland Park, filed a petition of opposition with the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board this week over the transfer of a liquor license from a now-closed restaurant in McKeesport to the century-old West Mifflin amusement park. In a letter to the board, he called for a public hearing before the LCB gives beer sales its blessing.

"I think (alcohol) is really going to change the nature of the experience there," Ferlo said. "Can't people pick a day to be in a family environment with their kids or grandkids, without alcohol?"

In April, West Mifflin council approved transferring the liquor license held by Cavanaugh's, a McKeesport restaurant and caterer purchased by the family that had owned Kennywood. When Madrid, Spain-based Parques Reunidos SA purchased Kennywood in 2008, the restaurant, since closed, came with it.

"(Ferlo) is concerned for the youth," West Mifflin Mayor Chris Kelly said. "Fine, but where was he when Heinz Field and PNC Park filed for (their) alcohol permits? Has he ever been to a tailgate party at Heinz?"

LCB staff members were reviewing everything that was submitted before the period for written comments ended May 21, spokeswoman Stacey Witalec said. If the comments raise major concerns, the board could schedule a formal public hearing.

Mon Yough Area Chamber of Commerce CEO Maury Burgwin didn't think people would pay $40 to go to the park and get drunk.

"I'm not going to be there pounding down beers," Burgwin said. "I'm going to be there with my son and just ride the rides."

Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko said that, regardless of when and whether the license transfer is approved, beer would not be sold until school picnics at the park are over in July. A fenced-in area near the Lagoon has been built for beer sales, he said, and if the license is approved, staff working in that area would undergo extra training with the LCB.

"We reached out to Sen. Ferlo with a letter and phone call to his Pittsburgh and Harrisburg offices to express our willingness to discuss his thoughts and concerns," Filicko said.

Kennywood sold beer for the first time last fall during Oktoberfest-themed events. It used a catering event permit from its sister Sandcastle Waterpark, which has a license for its Sandbar.

http://triblive.com/home/1935383-74/beer-kennywood-park-license-approved-board-ferlo-lcb-liquor-public

Well when you get right down to it, beer is a drink. And when you are talking about a mostly family park, the people who will be consuming it are just using it as that, a drink. Not a drug. Anyone looking to get drunk will likely find it much easier to go to a bar than to pay 30 some dollars to get into the park plus an extra amount on the beer itself. The amount of money that someone would have to pay on beer to actually get drunk seems like it may be astronomically high compared to that of a bar. Even younger drinkers I highly doubt will be there just to drink. It seems a bit ludicrous. Beer tastes good. People will prefer its taste over pepsi or coke or tea I'm sure. And the added price will bring in more revenue. Seems like a no brainer if they can pull it off.

Well when you get right down to it, beer is a drink. And when you are talking about a mostly family park, the people who will be consuming it are just using it as that, a drink. Not a drug. Anyone looking to get drunk will likely find it much easier to go to a bar than to pay 30 some dollars to get into the park plus an extra amount on the beer itself. The amount of money that someone would have to pay on beer to actually get drunk seems like it may be astronomically high compared to that of a bar. Even younger drinkers I highly doubt will be there just to drink. It seems a bit ludicrous. Beer tastes good. People will prefer its taste over pepsi or coke or tea I'm sure. And the added price will bring in more revenue. Seems like a no brainer if they can pull it off.

My thoughts exactly......

Got a chance to stop by Kennywood today on the way to Carnegie Mellon. I've been to the park before, but I was able to rack on my first rides on Sky Rocket and Black Widow. Operations were terrible for the entire day, probably the 90+ degree heat. Even then, it ruined quite a bit of the experience.

Sky Rocket: Actually, awesome operations here, trains quickly dispatching. The ride was just fun, a blast all around. It looked smooth, it was smooth. The in-lines were wonderful and air timey, it felt exactly like I thought it would. A perfect fit for the park.

Black Widow: Oh. My. God. The operations. Were. TERRIBLE. Took 40 minutes to get through a tiny queue, and about 20 people from the front, it all went to the pooper. The ride started, moved meagerly back and forth a few times, then stopped and settled. The ops removed all the riders, tested the restraints (why? It wasn't the problem), and then put the riders back on. Next time, same thing happened. So the test the restraints again. Finally, third time, it works and gives the riders a full cycle. At this point, over an hour has passed. I get on, the ride starts, swings to about half height, and stops again. We get off, they test the RESTRAINTS AGAIN. They just seemed so clueless. Finally, I get on again, and the ride performs a full cycle. An hour and a half has passed. Luckily, the ride was frickin' awesome all around, it was swinging easily 150 degrees-ish.

Phantom's Revenge: This ride surprised me since I've last been on. SO much airtime, really was a blast.

Overall, a great day at the park. Ops were bad, but it was reaaaalllllyyyy hot. Modest crowds made for relatively light waits otherwise. Hopefully the good folks at Kennywood will figure Black Widow out, because it was an absolute riot.

P.S. What park do you think has the most collective airtime? I think Kennywood might be in the running...

Got a chance to stop by Kennywood today on the way to Carnegie Mellon. I've been to the park before, but I was able to rack on my first rides on Sky Rocket and Black Widow. Operations were terrible for the entire day, probably the 90+ degree heat. Even then, it ruined quite a bit of the experience.

Sky Rocket: Actually, awesome operations here, trains quickly dispatching. The ride was just fun, a blast all around. It looked smooth, it was smooth. The in-lines were wonderful and air timey, it felt exactly like I thought it would. A perfect fit for the park.

Black Widow: Oh. My. God. The operations. Were. TERRIBLE. Took 40 minutes to get through a tiny queue, and about 20 people from the front, it all went to the pooper. The ride started, moved meagerly back and forth a few times, then stopped and settled. The ops removed all the riders, tested the noodles (why? It wasn't the problem), and then put the riders back on. Next time, same thing happened. So the test the noodles again. Finally, third time, it works and gives the riders a full cycle. At this point, over an hour has passed. I get on, the ride starts, swings to about half height, and stops again. We get off, they test the noodles AGAIN. They just seemed so clueless. Finally, I get on again, and the ride performs a full cycle. An hour and a half has passed. Luckily, the ride was frickin' awesome all around, it was swinging easily 150 degrees-ish.

Phantom's Revenge: This ride surprised me since I've last been on. SO much airtime, really was a blast.

Overall, a great day at the park. Ops were bad, but it was reaaaalllllyyyy hot. Modest crowds made for relatively light waits otherwise. Hopefully the good folks at Kennywood will figure Black Widow out, because it was an absolute riot.

P.S. What park do you think has the most collective airtime? I think Kennywood might be in the running...

Spent the day with the family here also!!!!!

Agreed with mostly all of this. Morning started out walk ons for everything except Sky Rocket. It was my fist time riding it.....amazing ride all around, would love to see more of these around!

Black Widow was "testy" all day, did get 1 ride on it. Not much of a ride imo. Swing Shot does more for me......

Ops were terrible everywhere except Sky Rocket, that crew (all 3 of them) were hustling the trains out!

And yes it was HOT!!!!!!

I was at Kennywood yesterday, and black widow seemed to be doing fine. There was one instance where people got too impatient and pulled down on the restraints like they are not supposed to, breaking the system and forcing the ride to be tested, other than that it ran just fine all day. The actual ride experience was rather pleasing, and sitting in the seats around 30 gives you some amazing wind and a great foot-chopper effect going over the pull out loading platforms, while around seat 13 gives you awesome airtime which i would dare say is better than SwingShot.

I was at Kennywood last Wednesday. LOVED the park. The coasters are fantastic, the food options (and pricing!) were great, and the park had a great atmosphere. Operations sucked except for Black Widow. We were pleasantly surprised at how efficient they were, especially since the ride had only been open for 4 days. Phantom's Revenge is now my #1 coaster! It was so awesome, especially in the back seat!

How should the crowds be like next Monday? I've only got about 7 hours to hit everything.

Well you've got yourself smack dab in the middle of school picnic season, there's a good chance there'll be one then, just hope there's not too many major schools! But if you're there really early a good chunk of the lines are pretty short regardless.

"I think (alcohol) is really going to change the nature of the experience there," Ferlo said. "Can't people pick a day to be in a family environment with their kids or grandkids, without alcohol?"

Ummm....no. Next question?

Hi guys/girls:

I went to Kennywood last Wednesday to check everything out. I posted this video in my trip report, but it has long since disappeared from the main page and I don't feel like bumping it, so I thought it'd be cool for people to see The Black Widow in action in this topic. The video is a music video of the entire park by the way.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Kennywood1_tezc[/coastertube]