TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

This is pretty sweet looking. I've never ridden one of these swinging spinning rides (not even Cosmic Chaos), but apparently Kennywood loves the swinging rides don't they? Swing Shot, Aero 360 (not really swinging, but same idea), Pirate Ship, Wave Swinger, and my old favorite that I hope makes a return someday the Swing Around.

Btw, with this being a huge triangle shaped structure it should be easy to decorate for Christmas.

If anyone was wondering about a possible opening date, this is posted on the top of Kennywood's web page:

Black Widow will not be open May 5, 12 or 13. We hope to open it by the 3rd week in May. Exact date TBD.

I'll be there Mothers' Day (the 13th), so I'm a little disappointed, but that's okay, it's not like Kennywood is that far away from me. Looking forward to seeing this thing in person next weekend! Anyone going on the 5th to check BW out?

I would love to go on Saturday for Opening Day (I've still yet to go to any park's opening day), but alas other plans are scheduled. Looks like the weather will be pretty perfect for them.

On the plus side, the day that looks like it will be our first Kennywood trip this season (May 27th for the season pass Bring-a-Buddy day) is late enough in the month that Black Widow should be up and running! Can't wait to ride it!

Incidentally, it does look like Kennywood is a big fan of the spinning rides, but I truly feel that each ride offers a different feel. I would say the closest 2 are Cosmic Chaos and now Black Widow, but I'm perfectly fine having both. If anything, Cosmic Chaos would be a good stepping stone for the younger riders before moving on to Black Widow, which looks much more intense/thrilling.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood went up a few notches in my book after today. Not only did they run all the rides in constant rain all day long, but they also handed out complimentary tickets to everyone as they left. Classy move Kennywood!

A few brief notes from today:

-Black Widow looks amazing, it looks absolutely massive in person, not to mention how close you'll be able to get. Think of MaXair without the grassy areas surrounding it, and just a fence around the round-ish loading area. I can't wait until this beast opens.

-They were testing the hell out of BW for most of the day too, so I'd expect it to open soon.

-The "Painting" of Kenneth Ghostwood in the GE pre-show room is missing, so they only had the sound and lightning effects. I wonder if something happened, or if it is being re-habbed?

-Still no flood effect at the end of Noah's Ark.

-Auto Race and Volcano were the only rides posted at the entrance as being closed (besides BW), and I know their website says that Auto Race won't open until sometime in June.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Rainy days have always been some of my favorite days to visit Kennywood. There's usually no lines for anything! As long as it's not too cold and you're dressed properly, you can have an amazing amount of fun at Kennywood in the rain.

Do you know if the tickets they were giving out were night-rider tickets? I think that's what they've typically given out in the past.

Just a little FYI for people visiting and looking for cheap tickets. I asked about the market above the parking lot and this was the reply I got.......

Yes, the Giant Eagle above us will be selling the discounted admission tickets for Kennywood at a cost of $26.99 each.

Rainy days have always been some of my favorite days to visit Kennywood. There's usually no lines for anything! As long as it's not too cold and you're dressed properly, you can have an amazing amount of fun at Kennywood in the rain.

Agreed...except that Phantom's Revenge -hurts- in the rain. Raindrops aren't so gentle at 85 mph...

Yeah, Phantom in the rain isn't the most pleasant.....yet I still find it hysterically fun!! And Elissa, I remember seeing some of the photos from people's trip reports and how hard it was raining....that's CRAZY - and awesome - that they ran Sky Rocket anyway for you guys! I really love that little coaster. It's 2nd in the park for me, behind only the Phantom.

Looks like Black Widow is now testing and getting close to opening up! I have to say I love the look of the ride area. Someone posted a video catching some of a testing cycle. I am so stoked to ride this!!

And I'm totally digging the spider webs painted on the ride's control booth! Nice touch there.

If the kids/seniors can handle a short escalator ride, then parking on the second/middle level for free isn't very bad either, as long as you get a spot close to the escalators. Once you go down the escalator and cross the street, you're in the preferred parking lot and it's a short walk from there. There's also a paved path down from the second level if you have strollers and can't use the escalator. If you park on the third level, that's when you're getting pretty far away. From there, you have the option of taking Kenny's Parkway (the ski lift) if it's open (it has to be REALLY busy for them to open it), or you can catch a free shuttle bus that makes runs up the hill every so often.

I read on Screamscape that Black Widow, apparently, has started doing some tests. At this point, it isn't spinning yet.

EDIT: Did not know about the video on the last page. As you all know, Screamscape can be unreliable. I blame myself.

Edited by molemaster43

Yeah, Phantom in the rain isn't the most pleasant.....yet I still find it hysterically fun!! And Elissa, I remember seeing some of the photos from people's trip reports and how hard it was raining....that's CRAZY - and awesome - that they ran Sky Rocket anyway for you guys! I really love that little coaster. It's 2nd in the park for me, behind only the Phantom.

Looks like Black Widow is now testing and getting close to opening up! I have to say I love the look of the ride area. Someone posted a video catching some of a testing cycle. I am so stoked to ride this!!

And I'm totally digging the spider webs painted on the ride's control booth! Nice touch there.

BW looks terrifying/amazing. I can't wait to get on it...less than a month for me now!