TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I believe GG did some track maint for them on their woodies the past few years and that is why they were on there. I have heard rumblings in the past about them doing a coaster if they do the expansion. However, I can not remember if that was just someones "wish list" item.

Here's a little blurb from SS about Pit Fall-

Apparently the news of Pittfall’s impending demise comes as no surprise to those who are familiar with the ride itself. From what I’ve been told the ride has been suffering from far too many mechanical problems and rarely, if ever, is able to operate all four of it’s cars at once. According to one anonymous source, “ The ride has been a mechanical nightmare for the park the last few years and nobody expects the current ride system to be around for much longer.”

For those longing to climb to new heights… fear not. According to the rumor mill the park is looking at obtaining either a Star Flyer or a Windseeker style ride to put down on the site for some high altitude thrill

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kennywood.htm

I used to love this park when I was growing up. It was my home park and I have many fond memories of it from the 80's and early 90's. I have not been back in a few years and do not plan on it in the next year or so. Part is because I moved across the country and do not have the same access as before. I am however going back to the area for two weeks in July and cut it from my list. The place is in the middle of one of the most depressed areas of Pittsburgh and thus gets that crowd in my last few years of visits. Given this, I also heard many of the dark rides (such as Noak's Ark) are in despair...

I just personally do not see a bright future for this park given demographics and such. I see them surviving, but not going beyond that anymore.

^Every time I've been there, it's had a very healthy crowd. They also just built a pretty impressive coaster last year, which shows they're probably not hurting that much financially. Just because the water room in Noah's Ark isn't working this year (how old is it?) and they're probably removing Pitt Fall doesn't mean the park is in any trouble. It's normal happenings for any attractions. No rides last forever, and they'll at lease replace Pitt Fall with something new and exciting in the future. Who knows what lies ahead for Noah's Ark, but I'm sure when the time comes, they'll make a wise decision with it.

^Trust me, I know what you mean.... I have had few bad crowds though (go on the Penn Hill Days for example. They should close the park for regular guests that day).

As far as Noah's Ark goes, they half a$$ed it. I believe it was due to finding the structure of the boat being worse and needing a full rebuild. However, the theme never has been realized in later years and no attempt to fix it. Just sad to see a great classic go this way. The original idea they where doing was original and would have been a good redo.

The Old Mill is just well, I will leave that alone for now. I understand why they originally did (please see back to my original statement on the clientele), I just hope the new mgmt reverses it.

Edit: Wanted to add that my post was not to mean that I think the park is going away. I just feel that it was at one point a destination park. In recent years it seems to be an extra stop along the way to other parks (such as Hershey, Kings Island and CP) that could be missed if time needed be be gained to get between to the others.

I must admit I haven't been to Kennywood since two summers ago, but this is mainly because of me working everyday and finding it difficult to find a day off and have someone to go with. In fact, I had to put my foot down to go to the TPR day at BGW on Sunday and request off work. Believe me it is hard to request off Fathers Day if you work in a restaurant (second busiest day of the year).

Anyway, with Kennywood being bought by other people and the removal of the Turnpike I've been losing a little interest. I haven't even ridden the Sky Rocket yet which I am shocked at myself for not doing. I guess amusement parks in my eyes are becoming like baseball games and trips to the movie theater. It's not that important to visit them on a regular basis. I of course used to drool over the idea of going to them and even had my own website dedicated to them along with Kennywood. I made park videos and everything before youtube became popular. Even with this trip to Busch Gardens on Sunday I'm doing it to mingle and enjoy the fact that I have three days of work off in a row (yay!). I will get in touch with my early interests on Sunday because I just bought a new camera to keep my film making skills sharp (I am one class shy of getting my Bachelor's in TV/Video Production). A documentary or concept music video? I haven't decided yet.

Back to Kennywood, to me it will always be there, but it will always be changing, so I guess I should visit it again soon before it changes too much on me. I really miss the old Swingaround that was on top of the Garden Stage by the lagoon and the Hard Headed Harold's Horrendously Humorous Haunted Hideaway...

That's too bad about PittFall as it was one of the funnest drop towers I have ever ridden (ravine side). I think I'd rather see them get an S&S combo tower, or something original than jump on the Star Flyer/Windseeker bandwagon.

Kennywood was never meant to be a big competitor to the big parks like CP and KI. They realize they need big attractions to stay on the map, but they also stay in touch with their roots, being a (mostly) family oriented traditional park that is a Pittsburgh tradition plain and simple. They make their business off of school picnics, and I don't see the real need to appeal to people halfway across the world when they can make plenty of business with locals. They blend big and small which ensures a healthy mix of people. I realize in the 90's Kennywood wasn't exactly the friendliest place with gangs and such. But they've fixed that unlike other big parks such as Gang's Dominion as I've heard it called.

And as for Noah's Ark. It is a bit odd to say they didn't bring it to it's full potential. The structure was falling apart, and a year after adding Lost Kennywood, spending 2 million dollars with an original intended budget of a couple hundred thousand, I wouldn't exactly call neglectful on the parks side. It reopened in August. The park simply doesn't have the budget to create every ride as a Universal scale darkride or attraction. They spend as they can, as has been true since 1898. The park has other worries apart from the ark, and therefore aren't draining pointless funds on it. They've remodeled the ark twice since it was built. I'm sure at some point they will again, but as I said, they have other more important things to worry about. And as far as Kennywood's concerned, if the Ark's in visibly good condition, and people can still hear the foghorn, that's about all the general public needs.

The park is trying it's best to compete. And I don't think it's a far stretch that in the next 5 years that we'll see the opening of another fantastic world class coaster. They did it with the Jack Rabbit, they did it with the Phantom. They'll do it again too. Kennywood's always had the ability to adapt when other parks couldn't. That's what makes the park great. While other parks have become cookie cutter imitations of each other, trading coaster for coaster, attraction for attraction, in some endless competition to become world famous, Kennywood is unique and will always have a quality that most parks will never have. Modesty. Never has it been in their interest to become some huge megapark. And the atmosphere at the park holds true as America's Finest Traditional Amusement Park.

- Garrett "Please back up your opinions" Lindner

Edited by grrt

This was on the late news last night, and the morning news this morning. I don't know why the woman would be upset with Kennywood, everyone should know better enough to leave all valuables in their cars or them square things with keys!!!

http://www.wtae.com/r/28273294/detail.html

Ahh what can you say... **** happens. This happened to my mom at Darien Lake on RoS awhile back... she lost $40. But she voluntarily put her thingy in the box. And she didn't complain to the park...

^^ That's always been one of my big fears about visiting theme parks.

I returned about a week ago from a long trip back east. I have a few pairs of pants with zipper pockets that I use specifically for visiting parks. When I rode Roller Soaker at Hershey Park, I went ahead and paid the $10 for a locker. Maybe I'm obsessive, but losing your rental car keys, wallet or cell phone can really dampen a park trip.

That's too bad about PittFall as it was one of the funnest drop towers I have ever ridden (ravine side). I think I'd rather see them get an S&S combo tower, or something original than jump on the Star Flyer/Windseeker bandwagon.

I'd like to see a supersized Starflyer like the one at Prater -

Haha, I've always felt uncomfortable with phones in my pockets on rides... I always find myself holding onto them for dear life even if I'm riding the merry-go-round! Last year I finally bough a pair of zipper pants so I can comfortably go on rides with my phone and not worry about losing it. I do quite like when parks have a system of cycling loose articles for each train. Like Cedar Point will lock the bins to trains that aren't in the station. I wish more parks would use that instead of having a bin right in the heart of the line where people can easily just grab it and screw with it or steal it. And lockers can kinda be a pain because you have to wait in line without having your phone. And for teenagers and children that can be a hassle having to communicate with parents (or just random people for no real reason.)

And I would like to add this to the mix... It's well known that Parques Reunidos acquired the park a few years ago. Now I would like to know how people think they've been handling the park. I personally can't see much change for the worse. Apart from Sky Rocket not quite filling the atmospheric gap that was left when they removed the Turnpike. Seeing that Cogo's sign made me feel so comforted.. So far I don't have the connection with Sky Rocket. I hope that in the next few years we'll really see what they've got. With Pitt Fall up for sale, Garfield's Nightmare due for a remodeling, a hole left by King Kahuna, and a rumored large expansion, I think it won't be long before we see what this company really wants to do with Kennywood.

I went to the park yesterday for my school picnic. While I didn't have a good day, it had nothing to do with the park. It was running as smooth as I think it's ever been. All four sides open on Pitt Fall all day, lines went quickly for everything, even on coasters running only one train.

I was literally the first person in the park, and the first in line for the SkyCoaster. Which was the only problem, we waited around 45 minutes for them to open the booth. (Which was around 11:15) We got first ride of the day. I can't really say much else. All the additions looked fantastic and SkyRocket was much better than I remember it being last year. Not a memorable day for me, but it's very good to see the park still in good condition.

Haha, I've always felt uncomfortable with phones in my pockets on rides... I always find myself holding onto them for dear life even if I'm riding the merry-go-round! Last year I finally bough a pair of zipper pants so I can comfortably go on rides with my phone and not worry about losing it.

Last year in some odd magic trick I lost my phone through a zipper pocket on Maverick at Cedar Point. I just think a higher power was out to get me though.

I was there yesterday for my school picnic as well. Was one of the first in the park and got a front seat ride on the Phantom's Revenge as soon as the op opened the gate. I must say, after never riding the Phantom front seat before, there truly isn't a better seat on that ride. Absolutely incredible. Plus a little bit of rain and the thing was chugging. My buddy and I held out for three front seat rides on the day, and I cant remember having so much fun on the Phantom before. Thunderbolt was closed all morning and most of the afternoon was just test runs, kind of a bummer there as its the best of the three PTC's at Kennywood IMO. Jackrabbit runs pretty nice in the rain too, definetly more rickety and out-of-control. I'm still not totally sold on SkyRocket. Sure, it was a nice addition to the park and probably the best choice as I'm not sure anything better could have fit in that space, but it certaintly doesn't impress me much. Maybe I've been unlucky.

The Pit Fall was operating all sides all day, and I'm pretty sure most of the noteable flat rides were open all day as well. Extirminator was running much rougher than I had previously remembered it, but then again I'm not a huge fan of that ride to begin with either.

With the Pit Fall potentially to be sold, I'm hoping for yet another coaster. A really nice Twister-esque, terrain hugging GG woodie would be awesome, especially running the Timberliners.

For anyone interest, check out their website, just got this in an email today......

BOGO Days

Here's a great bargain! July 8th, 14th and 18th are BUY-ONE-GET-ONE FREE DAYS at Kennywood. Buy one regular priced admission at the front gate and get one of equal or lesser value FREE. Valid for regular daytime and Night Rider admissions. One coupon required for each pair of one paid and one free admission. Click here to download coupon. Not valid any other dates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11172/1155159-56.stm

If Kennywood officials decide the price is right for their Pitt Fall drop ride, the experience of plummeting 251 feet toward earth at 65 mph -- and living to tell about it -- could be a memory at the West Mifflin amusement park.

International Rides Management, a Wildwood, N.J.-based brokerage company, listed the Pitt Fall for sale on its Facebook page last week. The agency has sold other rides for Kennywood in the past.

Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko on Monday confirmed the sale. "We are currently exploring our opportunities for selling the Pitt Fall," he said. "But that is in no way an indication as to whether or not the ride will be removed or remain in the park for next season."

The black and gold Pitt Fall, which was the tallest free-fall ride in the world when it opened in 1997, has experienced declining ridership, he said. It works on a system of pulleys and magnets, which form a strong magnetic field that smoothly slows the ride about 70 feet above the ground. Sixteen people can ride at a time.

IRM Vice President Sam Shurgott said Kennywood has expressed interest in a potential replacement ride for the Pitt Fall if it can be sold. No price was listed.

"Kennywood is a tightly packed park, and unfortunately that means some attractions have to be taken out to bring in something new," Mr. Shurgott said. "But what will replace the Pitt Fall will surely pack a punch."

Still the Pitt Fall has its fans.

"I don't want to see the Pitt Fall leave the park because it's honestly a good thrill," said Andrew Fedor, 28, of Ben Avon. "It keeps Kennywood up to date with other amusement parks and the suspense is fun. It's just a good time."

Amusement park message boards were buzzing Monday as ride enthusiasts speculated what might replace the Pitt Fall. Many suggested that a giant swing ride similar to Cedar Point's new WindSeeker attraction is the most likely candidate.

But Mr. Shurgott disagreed. "Kennywood looks for new rides that don't exist within neighboring markets," he said. "The ride they're looking for is much better than the WindSeeker."

^Well I'd better get a ride in on Pitt Fall when I go for my marching band this August. I never rode a drop tower before, mainly because I had no desire to until last year with band. It was right after the parade and some of my friends and I rushed to Pitt Fall to get a night ride, but then it started raining and lightning was flashing across the sky, so we decided against riding.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/28461193/detail.html

Kennywood officials announced on Wednesday that they’ll be holding “Holiday Lights” in December at the park.

The park will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on select days, with activities including a light show featuring tens of thousands of lights set to holiday songs.

The park is scheduled to be open Dec. 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17 and 18. The show will take place around the lagoon several times each night, officials said.

"Having a holiday event at Kennywood is something we've been talking about for years. It really wasn't considered a serious idea until this year," said Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko.

Guests can also enjoy the Carousel, Kangaroo, Paratrooper, a newly holiday themed Olde Kennywood Railroad and several rides in Kiddieland.

"With holiday lights, it's great because now we get to visit Kennywood in December and even ride some rides which is kind of cool," said Kennywood visitor Bill Linkenheimer.

Food will also be available, including kettle corn, s’mores, a variety of hot drinks and Potato Patch Fries.

Parking will be free and there will be a small admission fee yet to be determined, officials said.