TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tennessee Tentacles!"

Forgot to add: Love the Togo "Inviso-Supports" on the right side of the Carowinds brochure cover.

EDIT: For those who didn't know, "Togo" is actually slang in the regional Southeast dialect for "Bolliger & Mabillard." True story...

I loved Flamingoland back in the day before all the new generation of rides. The Bullet And Magnum Force were incredible.

The Bembom Brothers/Dreamland brochure makes me quite curious to see how the place was before its recent difficulties, especially back in the early 1990s. I visited in 2004 after a lot of the rides had departed, and the Scenic Railway was pretty much the only thing of note. Like a lot of seaside resorts, Margate had seen better days since the proliferation of cheap flights to Europe.

That Giant Splash looks great, like it's falling from the heavens! And a theme park in Gettysburg? Wow, now you can go learn fictional and nonfictional history all in one area. Keep it coming Shane, they look great!

PS-When is it time to start preping for the coming season?

Well work never really ends...it just really slows down. But today was the official day of "Back to work for the new Season" The Winter rest is kind of nice but it is really good to get back to work. I am excited for the upcoming Summer season!

I love the picture of the Corkscrew at Flamingo Land...it looks twice as tall as the 75 feet it really is. Seems to kind of be a thing with adverts in the U.K., not that it isn't done anywhere else, exagerate things without straight out lying. Camera angles are every thing. Oh well at least in the U.K. and Europe they open some of their parks year round, so that makes up for it.

hmmm! I don't recall ever seeing the "Twist and Splash" from Page 40 in the ride catalog. Does anybody know of any currently installed?

Heres a pic of Blackpools posted on their facebook page and a certain rollercoaster undergoing a new paintjob as part of its rebranding

At one time Japan was home to 4 Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops, all the fly-wheel version. Toshimaen amusement park was one of those parks. Unfortunately just recently it was removed. Here is a look at that park.

TOSHIMAEN AMUSEMENT PARK

toshimaen1.thumb.jpg.5d33f54f6e100163a91ff106a39576dc.jpg

toshimaen2.thumb.jpg.a103a212ec14ddbaa497c4e6522a2c1f.jpg

toshimaen3.thumb.jpg.a18d5ba0be3baf474c6496e7bceffdd3.jpg

Incredible... Some of those shots of Mountain View were amazing- and to see the Turn of the Century looking pretty phenominal all around.

It's sad to think that such a coaster was considered 'outdated' back then, requiring a retrofit to be a quad inversion coaster. I think had it stayed the way it was, it would be considered a gem and a classic today. Perhaps we could convince Intamin to give it a go again, as it would turn some heads with those incredible airtime hills...

R.D.

Wow. I had the original article from National Geographic World when it came out. The Arrow train they are working on is the Loch Ness Monster. Because the article said it was now open (The Loch Ness) I'm assuming they got the pictures for the article several months if not the year before they published it. I didn't see the year it was published, but I think it was 1978, when I was 10. I had yet to ride an Arrow coaster and could not figure out how those restraints worked - that is how you got behind them. I envisioned you either slid behind them, or they opened similar to the Togo stand-up coaster restraints. I was really surprised when I rode my first Arrow, the Screamroller at Worlds of Fun in 1979 and saw that they lifted up! It was new technology in 1979 that was only 4 years old at that time. Other rides didn't use them yet, it wasn't until some time later that rides other than Arrow corkscrew coasters used them. Something that is a lasting legacy from Arrow. I *think* if I remember correctly Intamin *might* have been the first to use shoulder harnesses on their first generation Free Fall....details from back then are bit fuzzy these days.