TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

Random Update LIGHTNING Round!

Today I am kicking off a week of what I am calling the "Random Update LIGHTNING Round" For those of you that are readers of this thread you know that when I do a post I usually stick to a specific theme, whether it is a old press announcement or brochures from a certain year. Well I have a ton of stuff that does not really fall under one specific theme so I have decided to gather all those loose ends and post them here...randomly. All posts are now in high resolution so you will be able to read all the great details!

You never know what far off and distant park, old photo, or even brochures for long gone parks are going to show up. And there will be at least one new post a day and possibly up to FIVE posts in one day. So make sure you are checking back to see what's new. So now without further delay...Let the LIGHTNING ROUND begin. Oh and don't forget to post your comments about all these random things.

Enjoy-

Shane

Lets start if off with this full page add that Disney ran when Big Thunder Mountain opened.

btm1.thumb.jpg.c62534d065003e3791535dd6ab6eccd4.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain Strikes!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Giant Splash looks great, like it's falling from the heavens! And a theme park in Gettysburg? Wow, now you can go learn fictional and nonfictional history all in one area. Keep it coming Shane, they look great!

PS-When is it time to start preping for the coming season?

Awesome! All of these updates...especially part one( ) were AWESOME. It really is a shame Kobe Portopialand closed. Tey had the awesome Schwarzkopf BMRX, which I believe is now operating in England, but it is not operating with all the awesome theming, which set the ride apart from others.

So much great stuff here... but I really love the old BTMR ad (despite the ridiculous typeface choice for the headline! ). I've always dug the full-page Disneyland ads in the LA Times. I remember a classic they ran for the re-opening of the Matterhorn, when they finished off the interior and added the Yeti... Sweetness.

I did a double take when I saw the Fantasyland 1863 brochure. I lived in Gettysburg for a few years, and I never even knew it had existed! Thanks for opening my eyes to something that was practically in my own backyard.

And furthermore, thank you for everything you upload to this thread. It's one of my favorites on TPR. When I have lots of homework, I tend to pick an update and leave it up, returning to it and slowly working through it when I take study breaks (so I suppose you could say this thread keeps me sane, especially come midterms and finals!).

You are lucky to have so much old park stuff, and I appreciate that you share it here. Looking forward to more!

let's start day 2 of the lightning round with a great article that appeared in LIFE magazine. Anyone out there remember that periodical? It was a much larger format than a typical magazine which made the scanning of this somewhat difficult. I do love that the Tidal Wave at Marriott's Great America is listed as a top 10 coaster. And the photo of the old Mr. Twister with the Wild Cat intertwined with it is just beautiful.

I am surprised that Colossus was not photo featured in this article. That coaster got all the media love back in the late 70's

life14.thumb.jpg.36602eb1bebfb50694a95b78cedac901.jpg

life18.thumb.jpg.7e9965b80a85cd359f07626d415b4af0.jpg

life19.thumb.jpg.eb79cc852ed6f04ff35da0365cf216b7.jpg

life20.thumb.jpg.d3451b2cc9a0a953a16049d2902bcd52.jpg

life21.thumb.jpg.4246697e1a5cf30811b598d3cb1651be.jpg

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this picture...it is maybe one of the all time best coaster photos!

life22.thumb.jpg.41d6e49e11b6cbbabed067fd907ffa67.jpg

and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this ride!

life27.thumb.jpg.701acb841dd549873218064afc2b4e89.jpg

Damn... I remember seeing this article when I was a wee lad and I think I might still have it stored away somewhere. Some of the best coaster shots ever taken... And seeing the original ACErs certainly brings back a ton of memories.

Dear Shane's Amusement Attic:

I just loooove that brochere you posted on Mack and their ride offerings. I must tell you, seeing these rides makes me wanna go out and buy a few of them myself, but I don't own an amusement park, so I'll just have to keeping dreaming.

One more thing, if Knoebels decided to use a Mack bobsled coaster instead of trying to bring back a style of coaster that might never be up and running, Flying Turns would've been running for several years now. From all the years that I have rode Avalanche at Kings Dominion, it's a wonder why there aren't more park that offer this style of coaster (Okay, I remember that there is a another bobsled coaster called "La Vibora " at Six Flags over Texas, but this is a different kind of bobsled coaster).

I hate to admit this, but those pictures of Mack's water coaster looked very sexy!

"Hey, you wanna dream about running Mack rides in your own amusement park? Then lie your head upon me and I'll take you to dreamland!"

Funnyhow no other US park purchased a Mack bobsled coaster aside from KD,I remember when it was installed back in 88 & once I rode it that first time you couldn't get me off the darn thing & I still enjoy riding it from time to time when I'm there but lately it's as if the ride "see's" me coming & decides to either go down or get too crowded whenever I try to get a ride or two in.

I can't remember but were both KD's sky pilot(I so hated that thing) & KI's flight commander installed the same year? or did KD add theirs a year after KI's?

Great stuff Shane,keep on delivering the goods.

Funnyhow no other US park purchased a Mack bobsled coaster aside from KD,I remember when it was installed back in 88 & once I rode it that first time you couldn't get me off the darn thing & I still enjoy riding it from time to time when I'm there but lately it's as if the ride "see's" me coming & decides to either go down or get too crowded whenever I try to get a ride or two in.

I can't remember but were both KD's sky pilot(I so hated that thing) & KI's flight commander installed the same year? or did KD add theirs a year after KI's?

Great stuff Shane,keep on delivering the goods.

Yes, I think this is really a shame it is such a unique, fun and great family ride I too thought more US parks really could have done some great things with this ride. Just think what Busch parks could have done. Maybe the American parks were somewhat turned off by the lack luster success of the Intamin version.

Kings Dominion's Sky Pilot was installed in 1989 and Kings Island's was the year after in 1990.