TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, that Sky Pilot looks cool!

Knotts had a similar ride in the 90's called XK-1 (Intamin). It was one of my favorite rides there in the 90's, was just like the rocket ships at disneyland, but you could go all the way around 360 degrees. It was where Supreme Scream is now.

Funny thing...when I first saw an installation of one of these, it was listed as a Vekoma ride. Then I saw "Intamin" and was confused for years.

Anyway, I never did ride the XK-1 at Knott's, but did ride the identical Skyhawk at Great America. For me, it wasn't much fun, but the concept was good.

Since Arrow apparently stopped building flumes sometime back, it's nice to see that Mack does.

Eric

Mack doesn't seem to get as much love in the US than they do in Europe. Other than the Musik Express and Matterhorn/Swing Bob/Feria Swing there aren't too many of their rides here. Their Sea Storms are great flat rides (thank you Darien Lake for having one) and Avalanche is a far better bobsled than the old Intamin models. I wish there were a few more of these in the US.

Despite the mixed reviews of Blue Fire I would still like to see one here, even if it is a clone. That is such a great looking ride.

I, too, had hoped that CP would have went with Mack for Shoot The Rapids instead of building another Intamin.

Just saw your scans of the old Marriott's Great America brochures from Santa Clara. Man, do those bring back memories. I used to have all of those, too! I was obsessed with that park growing up - it was the closest to us and it was an hour away, but I always wanted to go.

LOVE the art direction on the cover of the brochure where it looks like construction paper. Super unique for that time - almost looks like something you'd see now.

All the stuff about Vortex also reminded me of the glossy 8x10 the park sent me back in the day after Paramount purchased the park.

vortex.thumb.jpeg.6929351601fd7094a924aa77b3f8d361.jpeg

Glossy 8x10 of Vortex from GA, circa 1995?

490123097_vortex1.jpeg.c621df9b41881956857795637aad4756.jpeg

Glossy 8x10 of Vortex from GA, circa 1995?

The reasons I did not like the Intamin flight trainers:

- the rotation of the ride was SLOW so there was no thrill to the spin.

- the rotation of the cabin was slow so there was a lot of UNCOMFORTABLE hanging from the restraints. No use of gravity to hold you in your seat.

- the plexi-glass shield prevented any wind hitting your face so not only was the ride slow but without the wind it made it seem even slower...and it got stuffy inside.

Although some people my disagree with my comment that the rides sucked I think the verdict from the jury and the parks is in...a unanimous "SUCKED" and they have all since been removed and Intamin does not even offer the ride anymore.

- the rotation of the cabin was slow so there was a lot of UNCOMFORTABLE hanging from the restraints. No use of gravity to hold you in your seat.

- the plexi-glass shield prevented any wind hitting your face so not only was the ride slow but without the wind it made it seem even slower...and it got stuffy inside.

Although some people my disagree with my comment that the rides sucked I think the verdict from the jury and the parks is in...a unanimous "SUCKED" and they have all since been removed and Intamin does not even offer the ride anymore.

I am in total agreement Shane, but if I am not mistaken Kings Dominion removed the lid/shield later on and the ride still pretty much sucked.

Just saw your scans of the old Marriott's Great America brochures from Santa Clara. Man, do those bring back memories. I used to have all of those, too! I was obsessed with that park growing up - it was the closest to us and it was an hour away, but I always wanted to go.

LOVE the art direction on the cover of the brochure where it looks like construction paper. Super unique for that time - almost looks like something you'd see now.

All the stuff about Vortex also reminded me of the glossy 8x10 the park sent me back in the day after Paramount purchased the park.

I fixed the photo for you.

thumb_vortex_fixed.thumb.jpg.39f0f67c7721440a52bd012ec28e0d7e.jpg

So, as some of you may know...Europa Park is my Home Park. And because of having a season pass, I guess I visited the Park about fifty Times during the last 12 Month, including the Winter Season. And during those MANY visits, there was never a Ride down...NEVER !

I guess that says a lot about Europa...and of course about the Mack Quality ! Even though I am used to that here in Germany this is still hard to believe...

And Blue Fire was the approach to create a Looping Coaster for the WHOLE family...at least from 7 Years on...without overcharging anyone but delivering more thrill that most of the other Coasters at Europa do.

Blue Fire is getting by far the highest votes of Europas Attractions in the Polls...so I guess they did a good job, even though some Thrill Seekers are and will be dissapointed.

But the whole potential of the Mack Launch Coaster Concept will be shown, when there will be other/faster/bigger Installations. Me, personally...I am TOTALLY looking forward to those...especially because of the unmatched Trains !

GeorgeT

Mark me down as someone that's also in agreement. Never thought the ride was much "fun."

The Gerstlaur spin on the ride that Belantis had I thought was better, but I disliked it for many other reasons...

Here is a list of years that the rides at Darien Lake opened in chronological order from 1979 to now (please note that this not really accurate and i'm only taking a wild guess!) you can help me by putting the correct opening year for that particular ride.

1979 - Haymaker, Lasso, Grand Carousel, paddle boats? (upcharge), and Hydro Force (removed in 1986 from the lake)

1980 - Silver Bullet, UFO, and Bear Valley Bumper Buggys

1981 - Brain Teaser (kiddie coaster), Crazy Quilt (removed in 1999), Thunder Rapids, Raging Seas, Sleighride, Tin Lizzy's, Cinema 2000 (removed in 1999), Pirate, Rainbow Mountain (removed in 1994),Thrillbilly (removed in 1990), and Floodgate Falls (SBNO since 2008)

1982 - Ranger, Viper (first roller coaster with five inversions), and Cascade Canyon (removed in 2001)

1983 - Giant Wheel and Corn Popper (formely Rodeo Round-Up from 1999-2010)

1987 - Grand Prix Speedway (upcharge) and Adventure Land for Kids (including Critter Chase)

1989 - Grizzly Run

1990 - The Predator, Barracuda Bay, Pipeline Plunge (removed in 1999), Torpedo Rapids (removed in 1999)

1994 - 'Cuda Falls (replaced Rainbow Mountain)

1995 - Skycoaster (upcharge)

1996 - Popeye's Seaport (later called Loony Tunes Seaport and now Adventure Isle), Hook's Lagoon , and Nightmare at Phantom Cave (removed 1998)

1997 - Crocodile Isle, Mind Eraser, and Tiny Trio

1998 - Boomerang

1999 - Scrambler (replaced Cinema 2000) and (Superman) Ride of Steel

2000 - Twister

2002 - Slingshot (upcharge) and Shipwreck Falls

2005 - Tornado

2006 - Big Kahuna (relocated from Six Flags Astroworld)

2008 - Motocoaster

2010 - Swirl City, Lazy Days Lagoon, and Flotation Station also Critter Chase returns in Adventure Isle

Edited by DarienLaker

Mark me down as someone that's also in agreement. Never thought the ride was much "fun."

The Gerstlaur spin on the ride that Belantis had I thought was better, but I disliked it for many other reasons...

I guess they were trying to copy the Fly-O-Plane, which was closed when I went to Lake Winnie

What year was the early 80's Darien Lake map from?

I've been trying to compile a list of when the early rides originally opened. Most online sources are VERY wrong.

Here's what I have so far...

1980 (or maybe earlier): Lasso & Haymaker

1980: Enterprise (I'm pretty sure on this one)

1980 or 1981 maybe?: Bumper Cars

1981: Thunder Rapids, Corn Popper, Sleighride, UFO, Cinema 2000

1981, 1982 or 1983???: Pirate

1982: Viper, Ranger

1983: Sea Storm, Crazy Quilt, Tin Lizzies, Giant Wheel

1984???: Thrillbilly & HydroForce

I found a few old pictures from the park (1980 & 1982) when looking through some family pictures. I'm going to post them to my blog page in the morning when I'm more awake at http://john-anthony.blogspot.com/

I think it's from 1983

I distinctly remember the Skyhawk despite only going on it a few times before moving out of the bay area. I do remember it having an clear canopy on the ride vehicle as opposed to the pic that Robb posted. I also noted this difference commented on in other boards. Which ones were enclosed and which ones weren't?

KD's Sky pilot opened with the covered cars but a year or so later the covers were removed making for an even more thrilling(or to me) terrifying ride experience.I remember when you got on the ride you had to use one hand to hold down the harness,the other to hold the lapbar till the ops locked the ride & it was not an easy feat let me tell you.