TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, never knew about Atlantis. Cool that they had rides, wonder if any made it to other parks, even though they had storm damage. Strange that it didn't survive, at that time, Fort Lauderdale was the largest spring-break destination in the country, and it's literally 5 minutes from the airport. Also funny, their general phone number has a Dade county area code, even though Hollywood is in Broward.

Wonder what's in the spot now...

Hi Shane....i live very close to the site one occupied by Atlantis (it was actually in Hollywood Florida and not in Miami)..it was mowed down back in 1993 to make way for a very large strip mall...imagine that! You are correct that a hurricane (named Andrew in 1992) did some damage to the park. There were actually two major problems with the park that killed it off. First, the park was open only during the summer time. South Florida has a season and that season starts in November and runs thru April (we usually have very pleasant and warm weather when the rest of the world is freezing to death!) The local population just couldn't sustain such a large water park when no one is here in the summertime. Their attendance was way off because of this bad business decision! The one thing though that really put a nail in the coffin prior to the hurricane were numerous reports (and yes this made the nightly news) that Atlantis was having Hepatitis showing up in the water (wave pools, water slides, etc)....the health department had to shut down the park on numerous occasions. Needless to say the locals stopped going and that incident killed their business. So there you have it from a south florida local who watched the whole thing happen.

Hi Shane....i live very close to the site one occupied by Atlantis (it was actually in Hollywood Florida and not in Miami)

FYI - I'm sure Shane is aware it's in Hollywood, not Miami, (Remember, Shane was the Creative Director for Six Flags at one point!) and remember, people from out of the immediate area who read our Facebook and Twitter aren't going to know where "Hollywood, Florida" is, but they'll know where "Miami, Florida" is. I normally choose to post the closest largest geographical area that would be known to most people when I post about an update.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah, I do the same thing. Just look at my location on here. No one cares that I actually live in Corryton, so I put Knoxville instead.

For a park that has been closed for almost 20 years now, I don't think anybody really cares what the exact location was. Miami should be all the info we need.

Edited by ernierocker

I touched on the Power Plant in my 2005 book "Maryland's Amusement Parks." It mostly covered parks pre-1970, but I did convince the publisher to let me include a total of three pages on Six Flags' endeavors in Maryland (Power Plant and SFA). I would have loved to have seen the dance club that operated for several months after the "park" portion of the Power Plant closed. Here's what I have:

http://tinyurl.com/39nj9y7

Oh man I remember visiting Autoworld once when I was a kid! The park was technically in Flint, not Detroit (but I get where you mention Detroit because not everyone knows where Flint is). I remember we were on our way back from Frankenmuth (home of the HUMUNGIOD Bronner's Christmas store) and BEGGED my dad to take us to Autoworld. Amazingly he said ok and we went for awhile. I remember it had a few dark rides (one was about racing, another was about the history of the car, hosted by an animatronic horse). I thought it was so cool to visit an indoor theme park.

I've been hunting high and low for photos/video of the Sid & Marty Krofft park (it was in what's now the CNN Center in Atlanta). It sounded all kinds of creepy psychedelic wrong, which of course made it sound all kinds of awesome for the wrong reasons. LOL! They filmed some opening sequences of the Krofft Saturday Supershow (with Kaptain Kong and the Kools) there.

I've been hunting high and low for photos/video of the Sid & Marty Krofft park (it was in what's now the CNN Center in Atlanta). It sounded all kinds of creepy psychedelic wrong, which of course made it sound all kinds of awesome for the wrong reasons. LOL!

Seriously! I heard they had "the world's longest escalator," which is such a weird, '70s thing to brag about. And some kind of ride where you were trapped in a pinball machine. I can't imagine why it wasn't a big success.

I've been hunting high and low for photos/video of the Sid & Marty Krofft park (it was in what's now the CNN Center in Atlanta). It sounded all kinds of creepy psychedelic wrong, which of course made it sound all kinds of awesome for the wrong reasons. LOL!

Seriously! I heard they had "the world's longest escalator," which is such a weird, '70s thing to brag about. And some kind of ride where you were trapped in a pinball machine. I can't imagine why it wasn't a big success.

Actually, when I went on the CNN tour 10 years ago CNN was still bragging about having the world's longest elevator.

Below is a link to an earlier post I did on the World of Sid & Marty Kroft. For those of you that missed it click on the link, it is an interesting article on an interesting concept.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=529492#529492

And for another interesting read on another indoor park... link below will take you to an ealier article on Old Chicago.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=579356#579356

1990 Roller Coasters by TIME & BOYS' LIFE

Time for another Attic update. This time I take you back to 1990 when 2 magazine articles from "Boys' Life" & "TIME" chronicle the latest technological advances in coaster design. Yes designers like Ron Toomer and Curtis Summers are taking coasters to new levels of thrills with the advances of computer technology. Read all about the NEW coasters such as the TEXAS GIANT, VIPER and a new kind of thriller, the Stand Up IRON WOLF!

PS- as a bonus you can enjoy some of the 1990's Boys' Life humor.

619779693_time1.jpg.b7000126da81d6637e696f8d8ebb4975.jpg

1173949041_time2.jpg.b9e7337fa8da2cdddb478cbb12ba433e.jpg

534272936_time3.thumb.jpg.e2569be40763b52d548d76c035d3c6d2.jpg

1637076581_time4.thumb.jpg.e4ee21167cbf6c3927693fc54e64feb2.jpg

2124914611_time5.thumb.jpg.59d1abe7d303b5b0c40899fe40e039ae.jpg

1308111033_boyslife1.thumb.jpg.989825d4a7c6a5b9329ec69bd13b5195.jpg

1316262019_boyslife2.thumb.jpg.8a1ef636648d951ada48164cad055496.jpg

1692502488_boyslife3.thumb.jpg.552b43ff4cd76acabfd9d2b70808cbf1.jpg

232648343_boyslife4.thumb.jpg.8cb2611260a27d27eb3eb811fa358fea.jpg

277226063_boyslife5.thumb.jpg.9bc671d9fd757dc5b810c9c05b6fc33b.jpg

ha ha ha

339038159_boyslife6.thumb.jpg.fee312ab286ff57957f6ed9cfc6bc746.jpg

ha ha ha

I will never forget seeing that photo of Magnum in TIME Magazine. It was one of the images that turned me into an enthusiast. Would you believe I still haven't ridden that friggin' coaster?

Thanks for the Krofft and Old Chicago links!

Wow, I somehow missed both of those magazine features when I was a kid. I am pretty sure we had a Boy's Life subscription too. Great update!

I had one too. Don't think I kept any of the old ones though. Probably in the same box as all my park stuff which got thrown out.

^Road to CP Trip?

You and Robb need to write some kind of guide for how to bring a baby/toddler on a theme park trip. I haven't figured it out yet and you guys make it look easy!

Step 1: Have a perfect child.

(I don't want to have kids because I know the chances of having a kid as cool as KidTums is 1000 to 1)