TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 5, Episode 11: Cincinnati Kids. They filmed date is November 23, 1973. The Brady Bunch visit Kings Island Amusement Park but Jan accidentally to lost her father's plan with a yellow canister.

I saw a lot of old rides on TV also Canoe; Der Spinning Keggers (Drunken Barrels); Monster; Flying Scooters; Tumble Bug; Bayern Kurve; Flying Dutchman, Scrambler, Wheel of Fortune (Trabant); Halley's Comet (Round Up); Kings Mill (Log Flume); Antique Cars; Grand Carousel; The Racer and Eiffel Tower.

The Racer; Eiffel Tower; Grand Carousel; Kings Mill (Wild Thornberrys River Adventure); Monster and Scrambler are still operating but the other rides are gone..

The movie is Roller Coaster 1977 was filmed at Kings Dominion and only i saw an Apple Turnover but we didn't see the King Kobra or Galaxi.

Also i saw the Vertigo (Musik Express); Wave Swinger; Sky Ride; Rebel Yell, Log Flume, Monorail Safari and Eiffel Tower on Roller Coaster 1977.

If wonder do you know what name of company for Vertigo just look like Musik Express? Also Conneaut Lake Park have one.

Thank you montezooma

Great stuff Shane!! I so miss the good old days at KD. Shoot me if you want, but I would still rather be screaming past the lake on the King Kobra and winding through the mountain on the Haunted River than looking at their replacements. I remember when kiddieland had "cool" rides before the brats from Nick came in and took over. And what a rush Grizzly was in the trees before that wood pile called Hurler came along and ruined the back corner of the park. I used to love when the Firestone balloon and parachuters came into the park, and the water skiers on the "BIG" lake that used to be there... oh the memories of mispent youth LMAO. Keep up the good work man........

(Quote from A Very Brady Sequel:)

"MUSHROOMS? MY MUSHROOOMS???? OH NO! MY MUSHROOOMS!"

Shane, once again you threw me back in a time machine- and it -flooded- me with great memories of the park during it's early heyday- prior to corruption by Paramount. I can only hope to someday see such a great park revealed again, and with such splendor as those early years. Classic parks, I hope, can come back from the dead.

Man KD looked great back then.

I remember visiting there with family back in the early 90's thanks to our KI passes as we were living in Ohio. Both parks were so much nicer back before Paramount and now Cedar Fair.

I wish they still had King Kobra, Galaxi, and all the Lost World stuff, stupid Anaconda, Shockwave and to a lesser extent Volcano...

There is an underwater tunnel on anaconda? and at one point it was actually themed!?

There still is.

I rode the Haunted River (where Volcano is now) when I first moved to Virginia in the mid-1980s. The dark-ride portion was fun, if a bit cheesy, but the best part was the last drop--one of the steepest I'd ever experienced on any water ride up to that time. KD had quite a bit more charm back then.

Great post, Shane! I miss the old KD.

Hey, did anyone notice on of those Rebel Yell shots (near the bottom) how the blue side had only four-car trains and the red side had the more common five-cars? I wonder what was up with that ... ?

Profile-wise, Carowinds' Thunder Road is identical to Rebel Yell except for the current five-car train configuration. I always thought TR could be as good as RY if they'd just add a 5th car to each train. The station is already long enough because TR was designed to operate with the the extra-long Riverview Jetstream trains.

(Of course, RY tracks better than TR, but that may change this year's work).

I'm just sayin ...

Yeah I noted the train length on the last page, and not only was the drop on HR steep, but probably one of the best headchopper moments anywhere! This is why Emmet Brown (SP) invented the flux capacitor for the DeLorean.... how I want to go back in time!!

The Firestone Air Shows were such a great finish to a great day at both Kings Dominion and Kings Island. They are such a part of my early memories of both of these parks.

I love the scenes from "Roller Coaster" when they are flying overhead of the park. If anyone has that I would love to see it posted to TPR TV

This takes me back. I have about half of those brochures, maps and then some. Those were good times. It's hard to believe we're thinking about the "good ol'days" being just over 20 years ago.

I rode the Haunted River (where Volcano is now) when I first moved to Virginia in the mid-1980s. The dark-ride portion was fun, if a bit cheesy, but the best part was the last drop--one of the steepest I'd ever experienced on any water ride up to that time.

The last drop was the best. It was one of only a few that have scared me (as a kid). The first 10 feet were still in the mountain (a tight tunnel). When you dropped, you kept your hands down and held on. I never saw anyone put their hands up.

The Haunted River was a people eater and easily the most popular attraction on that side of the park. That ride experience surpasses many of our modern "themed" rides and dark rides.

I agree with who mentioned they would take all these old rides back over the modern replacements. You could ride everything in and around the mountain with your family. Modern parks should look back and refocus on why their parks exists in the first place.

Ditto ... all things Grizzly pre-Hurler.

More great old stuff from Kings Dominion. Here are some Kings Dominion clips, including the singing mushrooms, from the movie "Roller Coaster"

[tprtv]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=RollerCoasterKingsDominion[/tprtv]

Kings Dominion didn't seem to enforce the "no loose articles" policy back then. Harry is allowed to ride the Rebel Yell with that big old suit case.

"Hey, I betcha a million dollars we beat ya mister"

[tprtv]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=RebelYell[/tprtv]

^Rrrrrrrrr! You know what I mean. I saw that movie in Sense-a-round! Christ! I'm showing my age.

I remember KD so fondly from back in tha day. this is great stuff. Makes me wish I had saved some of my old park maps. I had totally forgotton that they once had an animal park as well.

Guy "Can you show a brother some love and give me a real Boom?" Koepp