TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't that Knott's Wacky commercial make you sad for the Parachute Jump?

That is such a great shot with the Soap Box Racers in the front and all the parachutes dropping in the background.

Hey Shane, a friend of mine (who is a few years older) mentioned that on the Soap Box Racers, there was a barrier, or a gate that opened at the last second. I think that's what I was seeing in the commercial. I had been on it several times, but do not remember that effect. Might you know when it was removed?

-Chris

There used to be a fence, or barrier, that the cars broke through before they dropped into the first tunnel. That is what you see at the scene change from Wacky to Sea Dragon. There used to be all sorts of great theme elements too along the way climaxing in a Firework Factory explosion at the end of the ride.

I believe, based on POV video I have of the ride, that most of the stuff was removed or put out of commission around 1988-1989. It is a guess, but an educated guess.

This commercial is from 1979, the first year that Six Flags took over hence the jingle "Six Flags is building a better mountain".

I love seeing Colossus race!

I grew up going to Magic Mountain and don't think I have ever seen the ride race, other than on TV commercials or promotional stuff.

"I grew up going to Magic Mountain and don't think I have ever seen the ride race, other than on TV commercials or promotional stuff." (montezooma)

Oh, it did race. But it's really not a fair race because there are more right hand turns than left, so the right side always wins. It was always fun, though, when they ran one side backwards in the early-mid '80s and you raced with one train facing forward, and one backward.

Eric

^ All of the ex Paramount racers were obviously designed to race since both sides of the tracks are equal.

Do you think that Colossus was built with the intent to be a "racing" coaster or did they just make it double tracked to increase capacity?

Maybe we have been complaining that they never race Colossus, but if it was built double tracked for capacity reasons then it basically is that same situation as the Matterhorn....

Worlds of Fun

Well the park is bigger than the last one, but I am not sure about the advertising budget. I give this Worlds of Fun Commercial 3 slices of cheese on a scale of 1 to 5 slices.

I love how all the logos back in this era sparkled! Bling Bling

Break Away

Is it sad that I remember watching some of these on our ginormous 19" TV screen. Yes, we had both kinds of TV. UHF and VHF. Oh, and it was one of the first to come out with a non clicking remote control. Granted it had a 20 ft wire that streched across our living room. But it didn't make that awful clacking noise.

Hey... what do you want! It was 19 whole inches! Woo Hoo!

Guy "I don't think we have a monitor in my house now that's less than 22. Or, is still a 4/3 aspect ratio for that matter." Koepp

Well the VCR is used to record some of these commercials was as big as some of the microwave ovens nowadays. You had to push down hard on a button and then the top popped up so you could slide the tape in. The thing was like a tank.