TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember how many trains were running when I went to MM back then, but I know GAR's queue line looked massive but before you knew it, you were onride. Sigh..Colossus racing..I take it from some of the comments I've seen that it doesnt race as much as it used to?

If you look closely at one of the Colossus pics, you can see the infamous low-profile speed bump (at the bottom of the second drop) before it was raised. Love those IAD trains!

-S

Yes that speed dip after the first turn was quite brutal and really hurt my thighs. But the Double Up before the second turn was also quite brutal. Yes Scott, those IAD trains were great!

Do you remember the great uniforms that the Colossus crew wore? They were like jockey uniforms with hard hat helmets. Today they would be considered fetish wear...lol

Shane,

Finally found the Marriott's section after days of looking. I dunno if I will ever change my screensaver from the TotC pic that's now on. I am amazed you found Tokyo BambiPark! er..my friends were sometimes weirder than I (which is saying a LOT), and for some reason, that was the pet name (kneeslap) for the place.

On a different note, am I to understand that SF has taken out all of its parachute rides? The protoypical SF skyline was always 2 tall coasters, a skytower/derrick and the parachute tower. I know SFNE doesnt have one (they have Scream, which doesnt count) but the other parks took the rides out?

Scott

Scott-

The three original Six Flags parks all installed Parachute towers in the early 70's

Six Flags over Georgia - "The Great Gasp"

Six Flags over Texas - "The Texas Chute Out"

Six Flags over Mid-America - "Sky Chuter"

Sometime in the early 80's, to make room for Thunder River, the tower from Mid-America was moved to Great Adventure where it is still in operation.

The tower at Georgia was just recently removed to make way for Goliath.

The only original tower in its original location is the one at Texas.

If you want to see more on the parachute towers in the Six Flags parks click here

If you look closely at one of the Colossus pics, you can see the infamous low-profile speed bump (at the bottom of the second drop) before it was raised. Love those IAD trains!

-S

I looked at the pictures and can't find what you're talking about. Is it in this picture?

I have always collected the old pamphlets from our local (L.A. Calif) area. Maybe it's remembering your childhood that makes looking at these so special. It's just fun to see because everything now days is sooooooo slick and some of these old adds are just kinda innocent. Maybe in my old age I've just gotten jaded. I'm gonna have to learn how to scan and get some of my old Disney and Knott's stuff out.

In the early 1070's there was a Bush Gardens in L.A. off of Roscoe and Woodley. It was a great park with an Arrow flume ride. and beautiful gardens and shows. I have a few over head pics but nothing else.

Does anyone have pamphlets or adds from that park?

Keep this stuff up guys (and girls) I love seeing this stuff from all the parks.

I looked at the pictures and can't find what you're talking about. Is it in this picture?

Here you can see the original profile and the reprofiled speed dip after the Six Flags remodel.

1980 "Colossus Rides Again"

1854194774_Colossusbeforeafter.jpg.085aaa8ca9199731a8d5ed3e1afcf1d4.jpg

Great position for taking this picture but I sure hope whoever took it ducked as soon as the snapped it.

Pure, that should have read "after" the drop was raised. I never got a chance to ride the original incarnation, but I hear its violent upward force was equal (at least in that section) to its Mexico City cousin.

-S

-S

I have always collected the old pamphlets from our local (L.A. Calif) area. Maybe it's remembering your childhood that makes looking at these so special. It's just fun to see because everything now days is sooooooo slick and some of these old adds are just kinda innocent. Maybe in my old age I've just gotten jaded. I'm gonna have to learn how to scan and get some of my old Disney and Knott's stuff out.

In the early 1070's there was a Bush Gardens in L.A. off of Roscoe and Woodley. It was a great park with an Arrow flume ride. and beautiful gardens and shows. I have a few over head pics but nothing else.

Does anyone have pamphlets or adds from that park?

Keep this stuff up guys (and girls) I love seeing this stuff from all the parks.

I would love it if you or anyone would post some old stuff from Knott's. Especially if you have anything before 1980, I would love to see the brochure that introduced Montezooma's Revenge. I remember for the TV commercial they used White Lightnin from Carowinds.

Because I lived in So Cal I didn't really collect any of the brochures from the parks here. I just figured I already knew everything about them....I am kicking myself now that I didn't. I do have a couple of things from Magic Mountain but nothing really from Knott's and although I vistited Busch Gardens in Van Nuys several times, I have nothing from that park except memories and an old pennant.

I have a Busch Gardens map or two from the Van Nuys park. All I have to do is dig 'em out, get 'em scanned, and posted here.

See, once you approach 50, you need that occasional kick in the head to remind you.

Eric

Now this is a great find: the fabled prototype corkscrew for the suspended coaster. It was rumored that once the kinks were worked out of the suspended corkscrew, the two spirals in the Bat would be replaced with corkscrews. Apparently the kinks were never worked out. You can actually see one of the Bat cars hanging from the track.

263519066_Suspendedcorkscrew.jpg.0ceeb5cb8e88dde9e39bae626cbdfea0.jpg

This picture comes from a great publication from the early 80's called "Amusement Park Journal"