TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

Plus, I think I even saw the second shooter on the grassy knoll somewhere in that film.

It took me awhile, but now I get it. lol

Yes it is quite retro looking, I took it with one of those old movie camera's back in the day before we had VCR's and I had to walk uphill, both ways, to school in the snow.

...for being so old.

Could you possible upload it to the video forum so it can be downloadable?

JEFF

Jeff

First, thanks for the compliment...I think? I was just a young child when I took this footage which makes me just about 40, and remember 40 is the new 30!

Second, I am working with Robb right now on downloading it to the video forum, but remember because I am not as quick as these young whipper snappers nowadays, it is taking me some time to figure out how to do it. But I am quite impressed that I figured out how to do the youtube thing all by myself. Now if I could just figure out how to set the timer on my VCR...

Shane

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff

First, thanks for the compliment...I think? I was just a young child when I took this footage which makes me just about 40, and remember 40 is the new 30!

Second, I am working with Robb right now on downloading it to the video forum, but remember because I am not as quick as these young whipper snappers nowadays, it is taking me some time to figure out how to do it. But I am quite impressed that I figured out how to do the youtube thing all by myself. Now if I could just figure out how to set the timer on my VCR...

Shane

Haha I meant the footage was old, It held up quite nice over the years.

I think it was very well done for a young guy in 1981 way before it was "normal" to film coasters.

Great job

JEFF

Great footage of the 'good old days at KI. I went there every year when I was a kid, ( I was 11 in 1981). It was good to see the loop over the pond before the lift hill of The Beast, and you can tell the part where the train is coming in to the station was filmed at the original exit, which is now blocked off.

The Bat was a great ride and being 11 when i rode it, seemed like it was a lot faster.

Does anyone else find it odd that 'The Bat' hasn't posted in a thread all about his namesake coaster? Does Dave even know this thread exists?

Ha Ha Ha!

Yes, I am rather late to this party. LOVE the new video. You have some really great shots there. If there is anything I can do to help you get this to Robb to get uploaded, please let me know.

The video brings back fond memories. I remember begging my parents to drive me over to Kings Island as many times as possible. I would spend entire afternoons either simply watching or, of course, riding The Bat exclusively.

To this day, I don't know what it is about that ride, but it still fascinates me.

Long live The Bat!

-- Dave

I remember seeing footage about Kings Island's Bat way back in 1981 and thinking what a great ride it must be. Then I heard nothing more and all of my searching turned up nothing.

Then along came ACE and its publications, and, of course, the Internet.

I wish I could have ridden The Bat. It looked pretty intense.

Eric

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't XLR8 at Astroworld installed at about the same time as the Bat and the first suspended? I really liked XLR8, it was a nice relaxing ride. I especially liked it when they reversed the back half of the train. I used to ride in the back car with my eyes closed.

I had a chance to ride the one at SFMM a few years ago and I loved how the train weaved in and out of the trees and up and down the hills. I thought having the lift hill at the end of the ride was unique also.

KENNYWOOD 1979

The Coaster Capital of the World

This is the one I was waiting for! SO AWESOME. I miss the "blimps", the Calyspo, the Li'l Dipper, and the gas powered cars on the Turnpike! The memories....

I also love the way this brochure brags about the Log Jammer, which was the attraction/addition that kept Kennywood alive just after WestView closed on the other side of town.

As a matter of fact, I found my old video footage on VHS the other day. (Some of it is from Kennywood, some from Vegas!) I hope to get that converted to digital by next week to ad to this wonderful thread!

I thought I posted in this thread already but I guess not. Believe it or not, The Bat was the first roller coaster I ever rode. My dad tricked me onto it saying that it wasn't scary. I was six in 1983 if that tells you anything. I don't remember much but I distinctly remember being scared so bad that I think I blacked out for most of it and at one point thought the ride took me upside-down. I didn't trust my dad for a long time after that when it came to rides. I'm lucky I ever rode another coaster again. He had to force me to ride The Beastie after that and I cried the whole time. I eventually got over it though.

That description of Hanna Barbera land makes me sad. I really miss all the Hanna Barbera themed stuff that they had at Kings Island. I totally remember those cartoon character phones. And they had the greatest carousel that had the Hanna Barbera characters on it. I wonder what ever happened to that, it was so awesome. Then there was the Smurf ride. It was great too. I wonder what they did with all the Smurf-themed stuff from that ride too.