TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked that more parks haven't installed coin-operated, radio controlled vehicles--what a great new "money making idea"! I don't remember ever seeing the "Computer Odyessy" thing anywhere--what the heck was it?

The intamin Double Swivelling Wheel and Triple Tree Wheel were amazing rides. Its a shame they have all been destroyed in the US. Do any remain anywhere now? They were so much more efficient than the standard ferris wheels.

What was a Helios ride?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't get it why would Six Flags Astroworld decided to use a dragon for Viper's logo and tunnel. Vipers are a breed of snakes, so it would have made sense if they went with a snake for the logo and tunnel artwork. That picture of Bug Bunny diving was also used on the backs of Little Golden books back in the day!

Best thread ever.

HILARIOUS to see the NEW FOR 1989 FLASHBACK ad for SFOT. I guess that makes St. Louis literally a solid 20 years behind Dallas?!

Crazy to imagine the metropolis of greater Houston NOT having a "real" theme/amusement park. Obviously Kemah and the Pier add something, but holy crap does it seem insane that there isn't some flavor of Six Flags or Cedar Fair park within an hour of downtown!

Great stuff, per usual, Shane. Not sure when I'll next be in Vegas (or Utah), but hot damn I'll buy two of everything from your park(s)!

Thanks for the look back at AstroWorld, Shane.

I was lucky, and got to visit it around the Fall of 1992.

I think the Big Thing at the time (that had just opened),

was the stand-up Batman coaster. And it was good!

And I felt XLR-8 was The Best of the suspended car coasters

I had ridden, to date.

And My - First - Ultratwister.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderland closed for two main reasons:

1. It wasn't getting any customers and was making no profit.

2. The location in Western Sydney meant that crime rates were high, which is what frightened guests away.

The Intamin Drop Tower is no longer, however the motor and cables were bought by Dreamworld in an effort to build their own version: the much bigger Giant Drop.

I also know something about the major roller coaster. I don't remember the name, the big one, not The Demon. It was in such poor condition when Wonderland closed that it was left standing because it was believed that it would soon collapse of its own accord. However, it took a second effort by the former park management to finally demolish the ride.

Wonderland closed for two main reasons:

1. It wasn't getting any customers and was making no profit.

2. The location in Western Sydney meant that crime rates were high, which is what frightened guests away.

The Intamin Drop Tower is no longer, however the motor and cables were bought by Dreamworld in an effort to build their own version: the much bigger Giant Drop.

I also know something about the major roller coaster. I don't remember the name, the big one, not The Demon. It was in such poor condition when Wonderland closed that it was left standing because it was believed that it would soon collapse of its own accord. However, it took a second effort by the former park management to finally demolish the ride.

Yeah... No. Giant Drop opened in 1998 while as Wonderland closed in 2004.

Giant Drop went through an upgrade in 2004 during the construction of The Claw. The motor lift system of the Intamin Drop Tower from Wonderland was incorporated into the Giant Drop in order to make the speed of the ride to the top faster and more efficient. It also allowed them to operate both sides at full capacity at exactly the same time.

Great as always Shane. I love the park map on the back of one of those just showing a very simple polygon style map with the names of the rides

The intamin Double Swivelling Wheel and Triple Tree Wheel were amazing rides. Its a shame they have all been destroyed in the US. Do any remain anywhere now? They were so much more efficient than the standard ferris wheels.

What was a Helios ride?

I know of one thats still operating in Japan at Wonder Rakutenchi. But I don't think its actually an Intamin, Anyone know more?

Source: http://87-nikki.jugem.jp/?eid=81

The last one i can think of off the top of my head was at Entertainment City in Kuwait but thats gone now too.