TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dont you ever get Scared?

Any coaster higher than 150' I get nervous on, no matter how many times I ride them. I'm sure my mild fear of heights has something to do with it. I still get nervous as hell going up Goliath's (SFOG) lift, cause I'm ALWAYS on the side with no railing. Any coaster with a straight drop gets to me. The steeper the drop the more nervous I get (Sherika, anyone?) But in a weird way, that what keeps me going back. That adrenaline rush from being nervous and then going down the first drop and just letting it all go is the best feeling in the world.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, TTD made me a little nervous the first time - but that's about it for coasters. I just love 'em.

Now, the rides I have a problem with are skyrides & chair lifts. I hate the feeling of sitting in a cage or chair dangling from a cable, especially the "bump" when you go past a tower. I still ride them, but I'm always happy to get off.

I was nervous waiting to launch on Hypersonic XLC but after the launch I was enjoying it and even put my hands up!

I will never ride one of those Skycoaster rides where a cable picks up 3 people then drops them and they go back-and-forth. I have a fear that the cable will snap while I'm on it and I would be dead on the midway.

I'm also afraid of Drop Zone (Drop Tower) at KD. I can get on Tower of Doom anytime, but since Drop Zone is like 100ft taller, I can't get enough courage to ride it. One day I will ride it since even my little sister has rode it.

The StarFlyer at Magical Midway scared me so bad, I was holding on so tight. The only other thing was when I went on the Sky Coaster at Darien Lake last week with my friend and I had to pull the ripcord, I didn't like that. When me and my 5 year old sister went on it at Great Escape [which is the same height as DL's] she had to pull it and had no problem, so I guess shes braver than me when it comes to that.

Roller coasters in theme parks don't scare me anymore, im definitly immune.

What scares the hell outta me is the traveling fairs. I reallly do feel like i'm takin my life into my own hands when i board one of those rides.

Oh an also X-scream on top of the stratosphere! Every single time!

Believe it or not, it's the Flying Scooters ride that scares me to death.

"What? You got to be kidding. You mean rides like the "Flying Falcon" at Kings Dominion scares you to death? You got to be joking!

Wish I were. But it isn't the riding of the Flying Scooters that scares me, it's watching the ride in operating while waiting in line. When those scooters go up, down, and nearly twist all the way around, I'm afraid that those scooters are going to snap off and kill somebody.

Here's a funny story about me being scared on a walk through attraction. My friend and I were at Morey's Piers and we went through this walk through haunted attraction. My friend allowed me the honor to go in front of him. So we walked slowly and cautiously as I tripped all the platforms and switches to activate the noisemakers and lit-up creatures. Midway, I stopped at area that look suspicious. As I was thinking how to bypass this area, my friend yelled in my ear "WHATCHA GONNA DO!!!" I yelped out and ran the H-E-(double hockey stickes) into that area, activating a switch that sounded a loud horn. I nearly passed out. When we got out, I had to use the restroom and clean up.

"Take this tip: before entering the haunted house, use the restrooms first"

I am not scared of a single coaster, along time ago i was scared to go on Son Of Beast and didn't ride it until like 2002 or 2003. I have always been a little bit scared of Drop Zone (Drop Tower) but i still ride it and love it! I sometimes get scared on waterslides that go very steep or funnel slides.

Okay you guys go from place to place riding every roller coaster you can get your buts on! But dont you guys ever get scared or freaked out? I definetly do, i still love them but i get really scared!

There have been two times I have acutally been scared on a ride. They were the moment before launch my first ride on Top Thrill Dragster, and the entire climb to the top of the Kissimmee Skycoaster. Other than that coasters really do nothing for me any more.

~Matthew

As long as I'm strapped into something I'm usually not freaked out, with the exception being drop rides. Using Drop Zone (err... tower) at Kings Island as an example, I'm perfectly fine first... 50ft or so. After that I start freaking out a little bit, and have the closest thing to a heart attack when the car releases. Still LOVE the ride though.

As far as coasters go, not much scares me. X scared me half to death first time I went on it. I loved it... I just wasn't expecting the whole "rotating face first towards the ground then free fall" part.

Everything else, being on top of tall buildings reduces me to a quivering pile of mush, I almost died on top of Kings Islands eiffel tower.

I don't think there is actually a roller coaster that can really scare me. I

just feel some anticipation, then the adrenaline rush (if the coaster is

really good) and of course pure joy. I also didn't feel any fear in the first

time i rode a coaster. And I was full grown adult when i did it but still no

fear for the scream machines. The same goes for skydiving too. The only

time i feel fear, or actually, sheer terror, is when i'm about to bungee

jump. I guess it has to do with the brain. I've done quite alot of research

on this. In coasters, apart from getting used to them, you're strapped

really good. These machines have state of the art technology and it's

extremely rare to be in a fatal accident. On skydiving, before you get out

of that door, you have all the noise, the wind whistling, the height so big

that your brain is confused and not being able to compare it with other

nearby levels of height, cannot actually conceive the distance to the

ground (despite the fact that you know the feet). BUT in bungee jumping,

you're perfectly calm and you fully realize the height. Your brain

compares the distance with other high objects and despite the fact that

you know it's quite safe, you're only strapped to a rope at your feet. You

go at the edge of the platform and your feet are trembling in the fear of

falling but you realize that what you fear it can happen to you, is actually

going to happen by you. Your brain is so confused (being in a self

preservation mode) and doesn't give the order to the body for the jump.

However, you still do it violating all your brain opposite signals. The jump

(unlike roller coasters) is 100% conscious, made by you and no other

person can do the "dirty work" for you (like pushing you off). But during

the fall and a couple of hours later, your blood and brain is sooo full of

adrenaline that pure euphoria in its highest, is experienced. Adrenaline is

the best natural drug ever! in small doses you have the roller coaster

feeling which is pure joy. But when you go higher...

Of course, every person has different levels of adrenalin perception. This

is due to presence of some specific brain neurotransmitters. Some people

(like me) have a very small amount of these transmitters therefore need

much more adrenalin in their blood to feel the rush. Others may have the

same effect on a coaster or even on a new enviroment a new job etc

etc.. Another thing is that human brain adopts very easily. If you do

bungee jump every day for a week, the fear will be totally vanished! The

same goes for roller coasters I guess..

p.s. tiring bold, corrected

I used to be a huge scaredy cat and would even get nervous before riding a silly simulator ride.

I've loved roller coasters my whole life though, even though I would never get on a big one. I first rode Space Mountain when I was ten. It took me two years to get on it again.

When I was 14 I went on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Suddenly I everything I ever thought about not enjoying scary rides went away.

I still can't get very nervous before rides, and the whole time I'm in line I tell myself I don't want to do it. But since that day I will never chicken out on any ride.

EDIT: ^ That was a very good post by the way. The bold hurt my eyes a bit though.