TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Update - Retracking of Thunder Road!!

Nice! I was in Carowinds this past summer and finally met Jamor! I didn't get the opportunity to get to ride on Thunderroad. It was closed at the time. Just the brutal HURLER as one of their woodies that was opened at the time.

Everything else was fun even BORG Assimuilator. Bad note, I lost my camera on BORG. Grrr... on my 50th coaster... I lose a camera...

But I got a new one next day... it's worth the money.

TOP GUN: THE JET COASTER... All I gotta say about it... SWEET BABY! That is probably my all time favorite inverted coaster that I have been on thus far!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually very happy to see this extensive of a re-hab being done. Hopefully Cedar Fair will see the value in re-tracking as well as "refurbing" their wood coasters and continue to do more of them at other parks.

How many people here would love to see GhostRider, Rebel Yell, Racer, the Hurlers, Timber Wolf, and KD's Grizzly running in top form again?

--Robb

I'm actually very happy to see this extensive of a re-hab being done. Hopefully Cedar Fair will see the value in re-tracking as well as "refurbing" their wood coasters and continue to do more of them at other parks.

How many people here would love to see GhostRider, Rebel Yell, Racer, the Hurlers, Timber Wolf, and KD's Grizzly running in top form again?

--Robb

Hell, I'd be happy if they'd paint Rebel Yell and put the lights back on the rails. They've retracked bits of Grizzly, but a full treatment would be nice.

It's good to see that this coaster isn't leaving. I liked it a lot and had a lot of fun marathoning it when I was there two years ago.

I agree that CF retracking their woodies is a step in the right direction. Maybe they'll reduce the amount of trimming on some of their coasters if they can retrack them properly.

I agreed. Maybe they can do something about Hurler once they finish Thunder road. I know Hurler is on the bottom of my list. I would love to see some improvement on the bounciness. It look like a fun coaster but painful after riding it.

I agreed. Maybe they can do something about Hurler once they finish Thunder road. I know Hurler is on the bottom of my list. I would love to see some improvement on the bounciness. It look like a fun coaster but painful after riding it.

Yeah, when they first opened they were great coasters! Not "top ten" material, but solid "10 to 25" spot, now a days I don't think they rank in the top 100.

Sad.

--Robb "Very few wood coasters stand the test of time..." Alvey

It would be nice if they worked on Hurler, it feels like it has square wheels although if you can ignore the pain, the runaway feeling and airtime after the first hill is amazing!

When I drove by today (on my way to work) I noticed the sign is blank too. They took all the neon paramount stuff and the CAROWINDS off, its just a plain white piece of metal sitting there now. If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a picture and post it.

Kudos to people in the area adding pictures to the post. Its exciting that we live close to a park doing work so we can report on it. Carowinds is not by far the best park, but it can be fun and I am excited to see what Cedar Fair will pump into it in the next couple of years. My vote is with an maXair myself...maybe we could email campaign for it to be added!

Hopefully tomorrow I can add some more pictures.

Yea really and how do you propose to do that Collin?

Become Ironman for a couple of minutes... i got nuthin...

^^ yeah we saw the sign also, but didnt have a chance to take pictures of it, Also as far as saturator goes, you can still see the top of it from outside the park so it looks like it is still going to be with us for 08.

Ok..was able to get some more pictures today, I was running late on my break, so I was not able to get close to the construction workers, but if you look in the pictures, they are piling the structure up in neat piles today. Its odd to see the track end up in the air like that! I also got a couple of pictures of the sign without anything on it, again, it looks kinda odd. Will be interesting to see how Cedar Fair's new sign will look.

I have to travel to Houston until Saturday, but maybe I will stop by the park on Sunday and try to get some more pictures up close. The workers saw me taking pictures and did not seem to mind (I think they are fascinated that someone is interested!)

7.jpg.bc92b8dbd2b6bf1156b0c145b3cc889f.jpg

6.jpg.ebf1c1b191bc9115a764079300960a0d.jpg

The sign from the Circle K parking lot

5.jpg.c4848640d139f53f79f5028ec50e0b42.jpg

The sign without any neon...

4.jpg.c5ae3ced8d5d8ded93295062346f35fd.jpg

If you look on the left here, you can see the structure stacked up...

3.jpg.b56edd5f137aa8391cfef02162253f50.jpg

Again, you can see the supports stacked up...

2.jpg.fe15bcbfbeb0354bf844d598463ebe01.jpg

1.jpg.157b6b53831706e753fafb4799efd6e2.jpg

Nice to see a Park giving it's woodie some TLC.. the ride should be smoother for a couple more years.

Someone stated "I would only go to Knotts if Ghostrider was re-tracked".

Your views are very strong if you boy-cott a park just cos the woodie does not run as smooth as you want it to be.

I was close to carowinds today and managed to convince my family to stop by for a minute, I unfortunately was only able to take a couple shots because we were short on time.

Some new bents are in place at the beginning of the turnaround.

More bents ready to be erected *snicker snicker*

A closer shot of the new bents.

I am very excited that thunder road is getting this needed tender loving care and i hope that it improves the ride.

The Carowinds sign is still just a white block when we passed by, so nothing new to report there.