TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Magic Mountain Versus Great Adventure

So, 10 years ago it seems to me that Magic Mountain was the undisputed best park in the Six Flags chain. Superman the Escape was the first to break 100 mpg, Goliath was, at one point, the tallest coaster in the country.

Now, it seems like all the good rides have gone to Great Adventure -- Nitro, El Toro and Kingda Ka.

Which park is the "king" of the Six Flags parks and why?

I'll start -- Magic Mountain because it has Goliath, which is taller and more intense than Nitro, and X, which Great Adventure has no comparison to. Kingda Ka is overrated and almost as boring as Superman and so that just leaves El Toro, which is a badass coaster, but not badass enough to make up for not having a coaster like X.

Thoughts?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based purely on coasters, it's Great Adventure for me.

Of the others I have been to, New England was a pleasant park, and with Superman I couldn't care less about any other coasters. Great America, nothing stood out for me, except Viper, all the other coasters where the same or had been done better elsewhere. Magic Mountain just doesn't have any stand outs for me except X. La ronde (pre Goliath) was just bad, Kentucky Kingdom was hospitable, nice water park but the coasters were OK.

SFGadv has El Toro and Nitro, SFMM has Tatsu and X. As far as badass coasters go, SFGadv has a slight advantage. However, SFGadv has a sort of uniform look throughout the park and a slightly confusing layout (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong). SFMM has a nice circle layout and some distinct areas, specifically Baja Ridge, High Sierra Territory, and Gotham City.

Most importantly, SFGadv is seriously lacking in mountains (and therefore terrain coasters).

SFMM has Tatsu and X. Across town, KBF has Xcellerator, Silver Bullet and Ghostrider. Who needs New Jersey?

El Toro > All of the above.

Plus the flashpass system is WAY better at SFGADv.

We'll see.

Magic Mountain may slowly creep back up to the top if things keep improving like they have been.

^^^El Toro may have held the reigns over X the past year or so, but lookout! Spring 2008 will flip things back in place when the 5th Dimensional X2 is unleashed!

^^^ Me! Have been to both on several occasions. Don't much care for either of them, actually. If we're just talking about the coaster packages, that's one thing, but to ask which is the "better park" or the "crown jewel", you need to take every part of the park experience into play... the rides, the scenery, the cleanliness, the employees, the food, the atmosphere, etc etc etc.

SFMM and SFGAd, when looking at the whole package, aren't what I'd call the best SF parks.

It's too bad that we can't pick the best of the best and create a single badass SF park... one with SFGAd's coasters, SFFT's terrain, SFOT's atmosphere, SFNO's food, SFMM's climate, etc.

If I had to pick one SF park as the "best", I'd probably go with SFOT.

I'd be interested to see what someone who's been to both parks AND doesn't live near either one has to say...

I'll take a stab at it.

Great Adventure > Tragic Mountain

SFMM should be one of the best amusement parks based on the awesome setting, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not. The place is a mess. Half the coasters were closed when I went last January. All of the B&Ms had a serious rattle problem, except for Tatsu. But give Tatsu time to develop its own case of the coaster DTs.

Magic Mountain is dirty. The concessions beyond suck. They sold me a stale pretzel followed by two rotten apples in the span of 10 minutes. The clientelle is horrible. And I've never seen so darn many ride ops talking on their cell phones instead of working.

Great Adventure currently has two top 10 rides, El Toro and Nitro. Magic Mountain has 0 top 10 rides. Heck, they have 0 top 20 or top 30 rides either.

Tatsu does have S:UF beaten, but who cares about lame flying coasters?

Great Adventure's Batman wins because of no rattle.

Medusa runs a lot better than Scream!

Great Adventure's lack of a stand up coaster is a plus in my book.

Of the major Six Flags parks that I've been to, the rankings go:

1) Great Adventure

2) SFoG

3) Great America

134231423) Tragic Mountain

^^^ Me! Have been to both on several occasions. Don't much care for either of them, actually. If we're just talking about the coaster packages, that's one thing, but to ask which is the "better park" or the "crown jewel", you need to take every part of the park experience into play... the rides, the scenery, the cleanliness, the employees, the food, the atmosphere, etc etc etc.

SFMM and SFGAd, when looking at the whole package, aren't what I'd call the best SF parks.

It's too bad that we can't pick the best of the best and create a single badass SF park... one with SFGAd's coasters, SFFT's terrain, SFOT's atmosphere, SFNO's food, SFMM's climate, etc.

If I had to pick one SF park as the "best", I'd probably go with SFOT.

More local bias! If you haven't been to Great Adventure within the last year or so, they've cleaned the place up a LOT.

Well me never have been to SFMM cant make an honest contribution to this conversation. However from what I have heard and seen I would have to say SFGAdv. Due to the fact that It seems to have better ride reliability, we have an off season so that gives the park time to re work and make things look nicer instead of just always being open. I will have to say crowd wise they both have the same types. As in rides wise well they both seem to have like a rise and fall in coaster history but hey what park doesn't. So all in all I myself would choose SFGAdv right off the bat. But when you really get down to it either one should do for you.

SFGADV-an awesome park with a lot to do. The park has an odd layout, but once you figure it out, it doesn't take long to walk around. The coaster selection is second to none, and the flat selection is really good too.(just needs a drop tower) The park is clean, and the staff is some of the best I've seen. Plus you have the safari, a large water park, and some of the nicest themed area's of any SF park.

Hey, You guys... If you want to analyze both parks, look at whats happening now for both and what they look like now. Taking a trip last January in no way qualifies you to make a statement such as "Great adventure is better than Magic Mountain." I actually went there the day before thanksgiving and had one of the best times of my life. Minimal crowds, NO trash, NO sticky things, EXTREMELY kind staff and decent food (however, some is definitely not so good). Every ride except Viper was open but that was because it was getting painted. So please, dont look a year back, look now and see what its like.

Personally, I've never been to Great Adventure but I'm not really interested in going either. Why? it looks even worse than MM! trashy terrain, unreliable coasters (Yes I am pointing at the Intamin i-Sore), grumpy staff. I havent heard anything better about Great Adventure than whats happening at Magic Mountain.

Hey, You guys... If you want to analyze both parks, look at whats happening now for both and what they look like now. Taking a trip last January in no way qualifies you to make a statement such as "Great adventure is better than Magic Mountain." I actually went there the day before thanksgiving and had one of the best times of my life. Minimal crowds, NO trash, NO sticky things, EXTREMELY kind staff and decent food (however, some is definitely not so good). Every ride except Viper was open but that was because it was getting painted. So please, dont look a year back, look now and see what its like.

Personally, I've never been to Great Adventure but I'm not really interested in going either. Why? it looks even worse than MM! trashy terrain, unreliable coasters (Yes I am pointing at the Intamin i-Sore), grumpy staff. I havent heard anything better about Great Adventure than whats happening at Magic Mountain.

This is one of the most irrational posts I've read on here in a while. First the poster says that visiting two parks on the same calendar year is not a valid comparison. Then he goes on to say that he has no interest in visiting Great Adventure even though he's never been there because "it looks worse even worse than MM".

Great Adventure currently has two top 10 rides, El Toro and Nitro. Magic Mountain has 0 top 10 rides. Heck, they have 0 top 20 or top 30 rides either.

Nitro is not a top ten ride. It was completely mediocre and there are a few B&M hypers that are much better. Tatsu is a top twenty/thirty ride without a doubt. The flying coaster is way better than you give it credit for, and Tatsu pulls it off very very well.

Nitro is not a top ten ride. It was completely mediocre and there are a few B&M hypers that are much better. Tatsu is a top twenty/thirty ride without a doubt. The flying coaster is way better than you give it credit for, and Tatsu pulls it off very very well.

I went by Mitch's Poll, which as close to a consensus as you're going to get. Flying coasters are at worst an uncomfortable gimmick, and at best fun, but nowhere near as good as a quality hyper, woodie, or invert.

Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, I thought these parks were the nicest and cleanest six flags I have been to. I have not been to SFDK in awhile but last time I went I thought it was very nice.

SFGAdv is also a very nice park to and not just there coasters, I thought it was very well landscaped.

-Brandon