TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing some of the rides that go through town in traveling fairs, and seeing some of the AMAZING portable stuff that German fairs are running, I wonder why Kemah wouldn't just populate their rides area with portable stuff.

The quality of the rides is similar, plus if a storm is brewing out in the Gulf, you just pack everything up and drive it out of harm's way for a few days.

^ maybe because they want their park to fell like an amusement park rather than a carnival. Plus we don't want to see Kemah turn into a Ghetto Park.

Don't most boardwalks have a carnival feel to them?

Besides, adding portable rides does not mean that the park will look ghetto. Sure they "could" make it look ghetto kind of like Beech Bend. But it's just as likely that they could make it look just like a clean permanent park.

Canobie has MANY portable rides and none of them have a 'carnival' feel. I think it's actually a really good idea to use portable rides in a place prone to storms like Kemah. If I remember correctly, Coney Island Ohio uses portable rides as well so that when the river is flooding, they can be racked and moved to a warehouse.

I'm not sure if they would have the time to remove the rides every time a storm threatened. I'm sure they would have to start work on removing them at least a week in advance. Then there's the possibility that the storm would completely miss the area. I'm not saying it's not a good idea but that might be more work than it's worth.

It's great to see they'll be getting a Larson tower!

After seeing some of the rides that go through town in traveling fairs, and seeing some of the AMAZING portable stuff that German fairs are running, I wonder why Kemah wouldn't just populate their rides area with portable stuff.

The quality of the rides is similar, plus if a storm is brewing out in the Gulf, you just pack everything up and drive it out of harm's way for a few days.

Most of the rides they had were portable versions, just mounted on permanent foundations. Chaos was a true portable ride still on the 18 wheeler trailer frame but Kemah did such a great job with the queue and making it look permanent that I doubt many customers at all realized it was a portable ride. Even still they choose not to move it when the storm was coming (perhaps they wanted it gone...!).

-GG

I'm not sure if they would have the time to remove the rides every time a storm threatened. I'm sure they would have to start work on removing them at least a week in advance.

Why? We're only talking about 10 or 12 total rides, and the Bullet, Aviator, Train, and observation tower won't be movable.

You wouldn't pack up and move every time a storm came into the Gulf, but on those occasions like Ike, when you know three days out that the most likely path is right across yo azz, then you pack up and RUN!

Just sayin'

And seriously... have you seen what is travelling around the German fair circuit lately? This is hardly ghetto fair stuff. I'm talking about Space Rollers, Schwarzkopf loopers, inverted coasters, mice of all shapes and sizes, drop towers, etc etc etc

Nobody said it had to be Zippers, Yo-Yos, and Himalayas. (Although a Yo-Yo on the edge of the boardwalk that swings you over the water would be pretty cool)

I had some outpatient treatment done a few weeks back for hip-arthritis. I want to ride the Bullet w/o endangering myself. Is the front seat pretty safe?

This question can only be answered by your doc. Nobody here knows anything about your condition or whether or not an amusement ride could exacerbate it.

I am good friends with Fertitta's kid because he goes to my school; therefore, I have been getting some scoop on the boardwalk lately. He said that the Bullet got very little damage (as we know) and that all rides that were damaged will be replaced by higher value rides and they are actually planning a log flume or some type of water ride. This is very good news.

I am good friends with Fertitta's kid because he goes to my school; therefore, I have been getting some scoop on the boardwalk lately. He said that the Bullet got very little damage (as we know) and that all rides that were damaged will be replaced by higher value rides and they are actually planning a log flume or some type of water ride. This is very good news.

The Flume Ride rumour has been around since the Bullet was being built, initially it was said that it would be built around the Aquarium/parking lot using existing structure as support, but then I heard that since Kemah is an all year park they thought otherwise of a ride that would be closed half the year due to weather.

We know they are getting the drop tower, the Chaos is being replaced by another ride similar to it, still not sure about inverter.

-GG

This is good news for the park. I'm glad they're working hard to get all the rides up and running or replaced. Hopefully I'll get the chance to visit Kemah at some point, if for nothing else, to ride the Bullet.

I've heard possibly a Chance Wipeout for Chaos replacement. And rumors of the Carousel being replaced with a Double Decker version as well.

I with they would replace Inverter with a Chance Revolution 20

-GG

He also said that they really do not like Chance because of what happened during IKE.

How did Chance mess things up during Ike?

Furthermore, why would they be buying the drop tower through Chance if they were not happy with them? There are other companies that could sell them the same tower.

-GG

It would be cool if they could do an Indiana Beach trick and put a Yo-Yo on the bay side of the boardwalk, out over the water. Perhaps that wouldn't be a good idea because the water of Galveston Bay is a bit more treacherous than Lake Shafer? High tide and all...

While I'm dreaming: crazy dance/break dance. I know, takes up too much space...

The Flume Ride rumour has been around since the Bullet was being built, initially it was said that it would be built around the Aquarium/parking lot using existing structure as support, but then I heard that since Kemah is an all year park they thought otherwise of a ride that would be closed half the year due to weather.

-GG

That's bull. A log ride could be open almost all year. Houston only has Winter-ish weather in small quantities. Take this week. It was damn cold Monday, and today it's near 80. Log flumes at even Midwest parks are ran in cooler weather than Houston has for 10 months out of the year. All they'd have to do is have it so the splash could be lessened on the few colder weekends. A Shoot the Chute would be a bit different, but a nice long Arrow-esque log flume would be great.

-RO

Buffalo Bills log flume runs all year round and I've seen that thing going when it's SNOWING outside!!! It's only partially indoors. It has quite a large outdoor section as well.

--Robb