TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is M&V still going down to do the work, or is the park going to do it themselves again?

The park has only performed 'patch work' in the past. M&V will be down again to do the forthcoming work, it was scheduled for the week after Ike, but once Ike hit M&V had to reschedule the work. This is all my understanding of the situation at least, nothing 'official'.

-GG

I'm going to begin 2009 the best way I know how: taking some coaster rides on Jan 1.

For those interested, M&V is definitely coming down to do the track work. It should begin in late January and will (hopefully) be done before the ACE Winterfest Feb 28.

I wonder, if this round of trackwork doesn't make it run as it was designed to, (and it still hasn't ever run at designed speeds) will they talk to Intamin about the possibility of refitting it with plug-n-play?

Would the years of reduced maintenance and trackwork eventually cover the initial cost of the retrofit and purchase of new trains?

Now that the p-n-p coasters have been around awhile, how are they holding up? Do they get off-season trackwork like regular coasters do?

Now that the p-n-p coasters have been around awhile, how are they holding up? Do they get off-season trackwork like regular coasters do?

Colossos ran pretty well last summer. It did have a bit of vibration at the bottoms of the hills, particularly in the wheel seats. But it wasn't anything severe and could even be considered desirable by some as wooden coaster "character". No idea about the maintenance.

^ I'd be one of those who would desire that sort of "character."

Colossus is my only plug n play coaster so far, and I was really disappointed in it. Yes, it was smooth and fast and full of airtime, but it just didn't feel right for a wood coaster. I kept thinking to myself, "if this is the sensation they were after, why didn't they just build a B&M and be done with it?"

Nice to hear that it's starting to act like a woodie.

Maybe I'll wait a few more years before heading to El Toro.

First off Happy New Year to my BB friends. Havent seen u all in a long time and I do miss you all. Not to seem dumb but what is a plug 'n play coaster?

It's an Intamin Wooden Coaster. It's called that because the wood is cut in a factory via laser instead of being cut on the work site. Then the workers can just "plug" the pieces into each other, hence the name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, most people on this board probably know more than I do.

It's an Intamin Wooden Coaster. It's called that because the wood is cut in a factory via laser instead of being cut on the work site. Then the workers can just "plug" the pieces into each other, hence the name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, most people on this board probably know more than I do.

That's basically it. Only Intamin sells them, but not every woodie made by Intamin has been a plug 'n play.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=32

Other differences include the use of laminate instead of regular wood and polyurethane wheels instead of the metal wheels woodies normally use.

• 3 weeks later...

It has a similar feeling to the common ones seen at carnivals. I don't think I've ever ridden one from this manufacturer at a carnival but I did ride the one Joyland Park in Lubbock added last year and it was a pretty similar feeling.

It will definitely be a great addtion to Kemah.

More information about the model they got is here:

http://www.larsonintl.com/rides/ss.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Drop Zone now open! Bullet closed for track reworking that was scheduled before Ike.

The entire bottom of the first drop from halfway down all the way around to the zig zag have been completely removed ledgers included. It looks quite odd with no track there at all. This is the first time I have seen them completely remove this much track. Maybe they'll get it fixed good enough to hold together and ride well during TPR's Texas trip visit.... maybe.

-GG

• 4 weeks later...

The following rides are now open:

Balloon Wheel

Red Baron

Carousel

Train

Aviator

Drop Zone

The following rides are being reassembled and should open very soon:

Ferris Wheel

Pharoah's Fury

The following rides are still being repaired:

Boardwalk Bounce

Inverter

Observation tower (not expected to open until summer)

Boardwalk Bullet of course is still closed for scheduled maintenance and the new Wipeout isn't on site yet, but the foundation for it has been poured.

Joe's Boardwalk Beast is now open as well.

All shops and restaurants are open with the exception of The Flying Dutchman which should be open very soon.

The Stingray petting exhibit is now in the process of being rebuilt.

It was kind of interesting to go back and read some of the posts from back in September when so many people were doubting the Boardwalk would be rebuilt or that it would be a very long time before it was or if it was, no one would go. And now here we are, just a little more than 5 months after Ike and the Boardwalk is nearly back to 100% and people are going again. It has gotten busier and busier each weekend for the last few months now.

Its running better than ever, clocking speeds of 63-66 constantly the past two days. The first drop to the upper bay turn is smooth as ice, then its back to the same old Bullet, just a lot faster. Hope it stays this was long enough for TPR's upcoming visit (It ran mid to upper 70's during TPR's first visit, and the first drop was painful).

Someone needs to update the thread subject again.

-GG