TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some outpatient treatment done a few weeks back for hip-arthritis. I want to ride the Bullet w/o endangering myself. Is the front seat pretty safe?

This question can only be answered by your doc. Nobody here knows anything about your condition or whether or not an amusement ride could exacerbate it.

I am good friends with Fertitta's kid because he goes to my school; therefore, I have been getting some scoop on the boardwalk lately. He said that the Bullet got very little damage (as we know) and that all rides that were damaged will be replaced by higher value rides and they are actually planning a log flume or some type of water ride. This is very good news.

I am good friends with Fertitta's kid because he goes to my school; therefore, I have been getting some scoop on the boardwalk lately. He said that the Bullet got very little damage (as we know) and that all rides that were damaged will be replaced by higher value rides and they are actually planning a log flume or some type of water ride. This is very good news.

The Flume Ride rumour has been around since the Bullet was being built, initially it was said that it would be built around the Aquarium/parking lot using existing structure as support, but then I heard that since Kemah is an all year park they thought otherwise of a ride that would be closed half the year due to weather.

We know they are getting the drop tower, the Chaos is being replaced by another ride similar to it, still not sure about inverter.

-GG

He also said that they really do not like Chance because of what happened during IKE.

How did Chance mess things up during Ike?

Furthermore, why would they be buying the drop tower through Chance if they were not happy with them? There are other companies that could sell them the same tower.

-GG

It would be cool if they could do an Indiana Beach trick and put a Yo-Yo on the bay side of the boardwalk, out over the water. Perhaps that wouldn't be a good idea because the water of Galveston Bay is a bit more treacherous than Lake Shafer? High tide and all...

While I'm dreaming: crazy dance/break dance. I know, takes up too much space...

The Flume Ride rumour has been around since the Bullet was being built, initially it was said that it would be built around the Aquarium/parking lot using existing structure as support, but then I heard that since Kemah is an all year park they thought otherwise of a ride that would be closed half the year due to weather.

-GG

That's bull. A log ride could be open almost all year. Houston only has Winter-ish weather in small quantities. Take this week. It was damn cold Monday, and today it's near 80. Log flumes at even Midwest parks are ran in cooler weather than Houston has for 10 months out of the year. All they'd have to do is have it so the splash could be lessened on the few colder weekends. A Shoot the Chute would be a bit different, but a nice long Arrow-esque log flume would be great.

-RO

^ I just rode that log ride at Buffalo Bill's about 2 weeks ago. It probably wasn't as cold as you mention but the storm that hit LA was heading to Vegas so all the wind chill and winds blowing from the mountains made the ride feel like I had a air conditioner going on full blast on my face... BURRRRRRR... By the way Desperado froze me up too when I rode it the same day.

-GG

That's bull. A log ride could be open almost all year. Houston only has Winter-ish weather in small quantities. Take this week. It was damn cold Monday, and today it's near 80. Log flumes at even Midwest parks are ran in cooler weather than Houston has for 10 months out of the year. All they'd have to do is have it so the splash could be lessened on the few colder weekends. A Shoot the Chute would be a bit different, but a nice long Arrow-esque log flume would be great.

-RO

I don't disagree, I'd love for them to get a Flume and think it could run most of the year, but would the ridership be worth having it open at a park like Kemah Boardwalk all year? On off-season weekdays the place is dead, all their rides remain open anyway and they shift employees to run different rides (they may have 1 employee running 3 rides). The flume would create problems here, requiring (most likely) more than one employee there full time, and unlike the Bullet (which also requires more than one ride op), I doubt it would see near as many riders during off-season weekdays - perhaps leading to it being closed throughout that time.

IMO, even if it was closed a few months of the year, the popularity of the ride during the long summers here would be well worth it.

-GG

I tend to agree that a water ride... ANY water ride... would be well worth the investment in this climate.

I can remember the days at Astroworld when every ride in the park had a 10min wait, but the rapids ride, shoot the chute, and log flume were a half hour to an hour or more.

I wonder, now that there will be more "real" rides down there, if the all-day wristband will become more expensive?

The wristbands dont need to go up because you can go to a real amusement park nowadays for a little more than a wristband there and the band is only good from opening to closing. A log ride would be wonderful if it ran through the Aquarium and all over the park. After that a good Eurofighter or just anything Steel would work and it would be complete with the space they have.

The wristbands dont need to go up because you can go to a real amusement park nowadays for a little more than a wristband there and the band is only good from opening to closing. A log ride would be wonderful if it ran through the Aquarium and all over the park. After that a good Eurofighter or just anything Steel would work and it would be complete with the space they have.
I disagree...They would have to pay for the ride somehow...PLUS it's not like you can say "oh let me drive off of 610 and Kirby anymore..."

The wristbands dont need to go up because you can go to a real amusement park nowadays for a little more than a wristband there and the band is only good from opening to closing.

Of course you'd have to spend $30-$40 in gas plus food and possibly a hotel room to get to a "real amusement park".....

An increase in a couple dollars on a wrist band is still cheaper than driving to San Antonio or Arlington.

The Carousel is open and is also included on the all day ride pass for $9.95. Most of the boardwalk along the water is now open as well...just in time for tonight's Christmas Boat Lane Parade.

Some recent news coverage of Kemah can be seen here:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6553449

I'll post a few more photos of the Carousel from today later at the link GuruGuys posted above.

• 3 weeks later...

We drove by this afternoon to check out the Boardwalk (haven't been there since Ike hit) and I asked one of the ride-op's what was going to happen.

He told me that everything but Chaos (which the new carousel is in it's place) and the Crazy Sub (my son's favorite ride) would be replaced. Also a drop ride similar to Dungeon Drop.

We drove by this afternoon to check out the Boardwalk (haven't been there since Ike hit) and I asked one of the ride-op's what was going to happen.

He told me that everything but Chaos (which the new carousel is in it's place) and the Crazy Sub (my son's favorite ride) would be replaced. Also a drop ride similar to Dungeon Drop.

Yeah, they are advertising that they are open on local television a lot these days, saw several ads during the NFL games.

The drop tower has been officially announced. Boardwalk Bullet, Train and Carousel are now open however The Bullet will be shutting down in a few weeks for maintenance that was originally going to be done about the time that Ike hit. They plan to have everything up and running by Spring Break (March). This includes the chaos replacement which is rumored to be some brand of spinning wheel ride.

I've still not heard the final verdict on The Inverter?

-GG