TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, for all its urban sprawl, concrete jungle, lack of trees, strip-mall takeover, no-zoning-eclectic areas, I really DO love my city. In spite of all the aforementioned stuff, this city has great people and fascinating architecture.

Both of those things got hit hard this weekend. It's going to be a long, long recovery.

I don't doubt that the KB will be back, as will the Bullet. KB was Texas' 6th most visited tourist site last year, thanks in great part to the Bullet. There's no way they won't rebuild, and now that they see how rides bring families down for a day of playing and eating, perhaps they'll focus even more on the rides when they decide what to put back down there.

^They also should learn that when you're in an hurricane zone, you have to construct your buildings with wind damage and water damage in mind. So many of those buildings and houses aren't and got blown away or sustained major damage.

Another disaster area in the making is the midwest, should that New Madras fault slip. If it goes with a medium to major earthquake and you're inside, get out of there fast because that building is going down! Very few, if any, buildings are built to withstand a earthquake.

Terry

^ The fact that those restaurant buildings are still standing at all shows that they were built with wind and water in mind. The Bullet is still standing, and was built to withstand winds of 130mph.

Texas has building codes in place that require such things. What you can't really totally prepare for, however, is when an older structure that was built before those codes, or isn't in the best repair, breaks apart and comes slamming into your structure.

In talking with one of the GG guys via email, that was the big concern... that pieces of some building would come crashing into the Bullet on some huge wave and just bulldoze it.

I used to run a B&B on Crystal Beach. I had glass that was rated to withstand a 2X4 hitting it at 125mph without breaking. On top of that, I had steel shutters that covered every window as well as both doors. As far as I can tell from the arial footage I've seen, that house is GONE. I'm assuming that the older house on the beach blew apart, took out country singer Tracy Byrd's house (which was right in front of mine), and both of those pummeled "Out by the Sea" into matchsticks.

Most of those houses in that neighborhood were build around the same time, so they were built to the same codes... and they're all gone now.

^They're standing... but not well. And that's what I'm saying. The older building aren't. But my comments were more for the general in area. When hurricane Andrew blew through here, whole neighborhoods were destroyed much like in the harder hit areas. As a result the houses and businesses that were rebuilt has to meet certain codes. Even when you put up hurricane shutters, you have to get a permit that meet codes as well.

They may even want to see if it's possible when purchasing or rebuilding rides, to ask vendors if they were build to withstand certain wind speeds, or for high risk rides like what happened to the ferris wheel if they can be dismantled and stored away easily so you don't have to totally replace. May not be feasible, but could be something to consider in a disaster recovery plan.

I know the little park down here, Boomers , with our coaster was made to withstand high winds and the few rides they had were secured; so when we had the succession of hurricanes a few years back, they sustained minimum damage.

Terry

I'm sure the area will see a HUGE re-write of the building codes much like South Florida saw after Andrew. Like was just said, most of the buildings in Andrew's path were leveled even though they were built to the current hurricane codes. The fact was the codes weren't strong enough. They've since been changed. I'm sure the same thing will happen to the area around Kemah and Galveston.

It looks like most of the houses were wood framed and built on stilts. That's great for rising water, but not high velocity winds.

Kemah will be rebuilt, and quickly too. They have insurance that covers things like this and I was told they are OVER insured. The Bullet was going down for long term work regardless (this time they hope to fix the problem which is causing all the other problems and making it ride so differently from the way it was designed). They will have the restaurants up and running in no time at all.

Insurance claims take time, so let's not jump the gun. I'm sure it'll be rebuilt, but I think there's a lot of other things that needs to be done first. Getting a small park open, isn't one of them.

Insurance claims take time, so let's not jump the gun. I'm sure it'll be rebuilt, but I think there's a lot of other things that needs to be done first. Getting a small park open, isn't one of them.

Amen. One of my friend's parents house got destroyed in New Orleans and they're still fighting with the insurance company. A trailer is on their lot where their house stood and it's three years later!

Of course some houses and businesses won't be rebuilt, not only from people not wanting to live there anymore, but some people my not have the right coverage on their insurance policies. If the way Ike ran through the Midwest last weekend was anything, I'm figuring people need to look at their policies and make sure that wind and flood insurance is included. Those tropical depressions are making it further inland these days!

If you got to go hungry for a check, I'd pay extra on those policies before hurricane season starts and make sure that coverage is right. You don't want to be depending on FEMA for anything.

Terry

^Very true, hadn't thought about that. Although I wonder if anyone may have just moved on because they were not able reach a settlement with their claims. Either way, the good news is that we have not had such a bad case of flooding since then. Even Tropical Storm Hannah from a week ago or so did little in the ways of flooding. It was more blown down leaves and broken branches than anything.

Kemah will be rebuilt, and quickly too. They have insurance that covers things like this and I was told they are OVER insured. The Bullet was going down for long term work regardless (this time they hope to fix the problem which is causing all the other problems and making it ride so differently from the way it was designed). They will have the restaurants up and running in no time at all.

Like any other insurance issue, if you have the money you start rebuilding right away. I lost my car to the flood after the storm. I am not waiting for my insurance claim to get through, I fronted the money to get the car towed, get a rental car, etc. The insurance company will reimburse me.

Landry's has PLENTY of money, I am 100% confident in saying I am not jumping the gun, they are rebuilding and I would wager they are already in the process of doing so today.

I am surprised there is any doubt out there at all about this. I have heard DIRECTLY from the General Manager of the Boardwalk on this subject. Kemah Boardwalk will be back, stronger than ever, and it will take less time than most people imagine to do so.

-GG

^Why are you surprised that there is doubt? Take SFNO for example, same thing happened to a major chain park that happened to Kemah. Has it been rebuilt? No. Will it be rebuilt? No. Now can you really blame any of us for doubting that a little park like Kemah is going to be rebuilt?

Honestly, I think after all thats happened the boardwalk will be lucky to get the business that they did before. People lost a lot around there, and I don't think that they really would spend their money on a day at the boardwalk. I just don't see it as a wise move to rebuild right now. Sure in the future they can, but something like this is devastating and recovering from it is even harder. Yes I hope it is rebuilt and that the town of Kemah is as well, but being realistic I don't see rebuilding the boardwalk as a wise decision right now. Nobody is going to visit it. Take a year, make adjustments, then see what things are like then.

^Why are you surprised that there is doubt? Take SFNO for example, same thing happened to a major chain park that happened to Kemah. Has it been rebuilt? No. Will it be rebuilt? No. Now can you really blame any of us for doubting that a little park like Kemah is going to be rebuilt?

Perhaps when you don't know the situations I can see where there may be doubt. However, if you have read this thread any doubt should have been cleared up by now.

Comparing it to SFNO is bad as the situations are totally different. Six Flags was fighting bankruptcy and all. Kemah Boardwalk is just the opposite, they were having a record breaking year, and the coaster was a big part of that. While Kemah may be a small park, it is owned by a huge company (Landry's). New Orleans was almost totally wiped out and SFNO relied mainly on NO to support it.

Honestly, I think after all thats happened the boardwalk will be lucky to get the business that they did before. People lost a lot around there, and I don't think that they really would spend their money on a day at the boardwalk.

The town of Kemah doesn't support the Boardwalk, in fact, its the other way around these days. Kemah Boardwalk is BY FAR the major tax contributor to the town, I have heard as much of 80% of the city tax income is from the Boardwalk. This is even more reason why Kemah NEEDS the Boardwalk to be rebuilt and fast! It is a tiny city with a population of about 2500 people.

The customer base for the Boardwalk is largely based on the people who take a day trip from areas like Woodlands, Sugarland, and other metro area of Houston. While most of us in these metro areas are without power, for the majority that is the extent of the 'devastation'. These people are still going to visit the Boardwalk, no question about that.

I just don't see it as a wise move to rebuild right now. Sure in the future they can, but something like this is devastating and recovering from it is even harder. Yes I hope it is rebuilt and that the town of Kemah is as well, but being realistic I don't see rebuilding the boardwalk as a wise decision right now. Nobody is going to visit it. Take a year, make adjustments, then see what things are like then.

I don't agree that because it was devastating that nobody will visit it. The Houston Galleria (a big shopping mall) was opened on Sunday, the day after the Hurricane, and it was jam packed. People want entertainment and a place to get away from things, Kemah Boardwalk is a big part of that for the Houston Metro area and will continue to be so.

Finally, after seeing more pics of the boardwalk, it is clear that all the new buildings are standing just fine. Landry's looks like the hardest hit, as it is one of the older buildings there (it was there before the Boardwalk was there). For those who have not been there you should not that most of the restaurants are built on a second level, the lower level provided outdoor seating for some restaurants and in many of the pics that have been post you are seeing the bottom level which is full of debris and ruin.

-GG

The fact that the boardwalk is owned by a huge company just adds to the doubt the Boardwalk will be back IMO. Plus, according to wikipedia, it is only the restaurants owned by Landry's, not the amusements?

It wouldn't be a smart business move to jump right back in without fully evaluating the situation. Hurricane Ike theoretically could have completely altered their market reach, business plan, construction costs, etc. It could also theoretically of had no effect on their business. But that's a decision that takes time to evaluate.

Just as an example, if I had the option to spend $50 to visit the boardwalk or help my uncle who was displaced by Ike...I'm choosing to help my family. There could be a very small % of their business facing this dilemma, or a very large percentage...but they have to figure all that out before going forward with any plans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make short turn repairs to get things back open and see what happens (it sounds like they've made it clear at least that much is in the plans), but you can add me to the list of doubters who think the place will be rebuilt "bigger and better than ever."

I for one don't think it will be rebuilt bigger and better then ever, but I do think it will be rebuilt to pre-hurricane condition. I think it will take some time, but the boardwalk is a big attraction for the area, and I think that investors will find it worth their investment.

I'm crossing my fingers that the boardwalk is back up by this May, I'll be taking a cruise out of the port of Galveston and was hoping to make a stop by Kemah.

The fact that the boardwalk is owned by a huge company just adds to the doubt the Boardwalk will be back IMO.

its fine to have an opinion, but back it up with some evidence. So you are saying if it was a small company it would be MORE likely to be back?!? I don't see any logic here.

Plus, according to wikipedia, it is only the restaurants owned by Landry's, not the amusements?

Tilman Fertita owns the entire complex, including a big chunk of Landry's.

It wouldn't be a smart business move to jump right back in without fully evaluating the situation. Hurricane Ike theoretically could have completely altered their market reach, business plan, construction costs, etc. It could also theoretically of had no effect on their business. But that's a decision that takes time to evaluate.

I totally disagree. The place is major profitable. Houston is a huge, widely spread out city. As another poster mentioned Boardwalk is now the 6th largest tourist destination for Texans. None of this will change.

Just as an example, if I had the option to spend $50 to visit the boardwalk or help my uncle who was displaced by Ike...I'm choosing to help my family. There could be a very small % of their business facing this dilemma, or a very large percentage...but they have to figure all that out before going forward with any plans.

With the Hosuton Metro area alone being a population of over 5.5 million, I don't think this will be an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make short turn repairs to get things back open and see what happens (it sounds like they've made it clear at least that much is in the plans), but you can add me to the list of doubters who think the place will be rebuilt "bigger and better than ever."

Everyone can have their opinions, I'll just add you to the list of people whom I don't understand their logic. That's OK, cause most everyone doesn't understand mine!

-GG

its fine to have an opinion, but back it up with some evidence. So you are saying if it was a small company it would be MORE likely to be back?!? I don't see any logic here.

Try working for a large corporation and saying "Hey, I need millions of dollars to start rebuilding the boardwalk without knowing the true extent of the damage, how our market has been affected, what the final cost might be, and so on..." and see how far you get.

I certainly can't claim to be an expert in the corporate culture @ Landry's, but I personally think it is safe to assume that there has to be "red tape" involved to ensure their re-investment into Kemah is worthwhile.

I totally disagree. The place is major profitable. Houston is a huge, widely spread out city. As another poster mentioned Boardwalk is now the 6th largest tourist destination for Texans. None of this will change.

The place was major profitable (assuming that is true...I guess only I need evidence to back statements up?), and might very will still be. But Landry's would be doing a disservice to its investors if they did not properly evaluate the market post Hurricane Ike.

5.5 million people, spread out city, and so on...could all be meaningless. What if those 5.5 million now have extra family members living with them? Have to help rebuild their grandma's house? Move with displaced family members to another city? The point is there are SO many variables that could be meaningless or damaging to the boardwalk that need to (and probably will be) evaluated before anything major happens.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Try working for a large corporation and saying "Hey, I need millions of dollars to start rebuilding the boardwalk without knowing the true extent of the damage, how our market has been affected, what the final cost might be, and so on..." and see how far you get.

The repairs will mostly, if not all, be covered by insurance. Not sure it will be too hard to convince shareholders to take advantage of the insurance.

The place was major profitable (assuming that is true...I guess only I need evidence to back statements up?),

No problem. Taken from:

Landry's Earnings

Notice the part in bold (ie. Boardwalk Bullet)

KEY DEVELOPMENTS

Landry's Restaurants Inc. Reports Earnings Results for the Second Quarter and Six Months Ended June 30, 2008 ; Reports Asset Impairment Expense

08/8/2008

Landry's Restaurants Inc. reported earnings results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2008. Revenues from continuing operations for the three months ended June 30, 2008, totaled $311.4 million, as compared to $308.0 million a year earlier, including $66.5 million and $66.6 million, respectively from the Golden Nugget properties. The Company's results benefited from a shift to higher margin amusement and entertainment revenues primarily at the Kemah Boardwalk. Net income was $13,872,000 or $0.90 per diluted share against net income of $6,943,000 or $0.33 per diluted share for the same period in the last year. Revenues from continuing operations for the six months ended June 30, 2008, totaled $606.2 million, as compared to $591.6 million a year earlier. Net income was $15,393,000 or $0.99 per diluted share against net income of $29,059,000 or $1.35 per diluted share for the same period in the last year. The company reported asset impairment expense of $1,593,000 for the second quarter of 2008.

Landry's Restaurants Inc., Q2 2008 Earnings/Operating Results Call, Aug-08-2008

08/4/2008

Landry's Restaurants Inc., Q2 2008 Earnings/Operating Results Call, Aug-08-2008

Landry's Restaurants Inc. Reports Earnings Results for the First Quarter Ended March 31, 2008

05/9/2008

Landry's Restaurants Inc. reported its results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2008. Revenues from continuing operations for the three months ended March 31, 2008, totaled $294.8 million, as compared to $283.6 million a year earlier, including $69.8 million and $70.7 million, respectively from the Golden Nugget properties and an additional day due to leap year. Consolidated net income for the quarter was $1.5 million or $0.10 per diluted share compared to net income of $22.1 million or $1.01 per diluted share in the comparable period in 2007.

-GG

Like any other insurance issue, if you have the money you start rebuilding right away. I lost my car to the flood after the storm. I am not waiting for my insurance claim to get through, I fronted the money to get the car towed, get a rental car, etc. The insurance company will reimburse me.

-GG

I wish I had you as a claimant, back in my adjuster days. I almost never had anyone front money, and expect to get reimbursed.

Really, I think the important thing is more about getting everyone's lives back in order. Then let's worry about the Boardwalk.