TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine that a lot of the work being done could be categorized as "expected wear and tear" and be charged to the operator.

No, none of the work being done is 'expected wear and tear'. Tearing down large sections of the track and rebuilding it from scratch when the coaster is not even 9 months (and about 2 months of that it has been down) old is not expected wear and tear.

-GG

No, none of the work being done is 'expected wear and tear'. Tearing down large sections of the track and rebuilding it from scratch when the coaster is not even 9 months (and about 2 months of that it has been down) old is not expected wear and tear.

Judging from the extensive track work Voyage got after its first season maybe this is expected wear and tear.

Judging from the extensive track work Voyage got after its first season maybe this is expected wear and tear.

Seems every single Gravity Group coaster has had to have significant track work. Although that will change to "almost all" in two days.

Seems to me GG coasters are getting a reputation for being extremely aggresive, although at a very high cost.

Seems every single Gravity Group coaster has had to have significant track work. Although that will change to "almost all" in two days.

Seems to me GG coasters are getting a reputation for being extremely aggresive, although at a very high cost.

Yeah, I think we all know where this is going to lead and it ain't good.

^ I think Joe is saying that he thinks they'll try and say it's "wear and tear" to avoid it being considered warranty work.

Perhaps if TGG and/or M&V want to go out of business. I don't think any park will buy a coaster that needs sections of track totally replaced every 3-4 months. If they can consider this wear and tear, they may as well just leave out any kind of warranty period.

Things are still moving along at a fast pace. Memorial day weekend is still the goal to have the Bullet re-opened and at the moment it is apparently on track for that. Pics of todays progress.

-GG

Track_Reset.JPG.c8433564b3c9516921c782e4f0f1aab0.JPG

This area now has some track laid.

IMG_1405.JPG.3efe7bf2d794b311aac0ba0982214207.JPG

It takes 4 days for 8 Kemah workers to do what 2 carnies can do in an hour ;-)

IMG_1406.JPG.9c8100f093b7ebd8c1dd9601145e64a7.JPG

Chance Chaos is being setup.

IMG_1401.JPG.2fb913f2ce54983dcac492780da4def4.JPG

They have started work on the upper bay turn. They are going to try to eliminate what is left of the slam in that area.

1640072707_MoreRailsandWoodRemovedfromdrop.thumb.JPG.37a0f4f4bbbca4ef7a11a28b60f923cd.JPG

This is where they are at at the middle of the drop. I believe they will not need to take any more rail or wood off from here.

Main_Work.JPG.9533d9318194da53b7a35e672a0e093a.JPG

This area has the most work to be finished.

LedgersWaitingToBeFastened.thumb.JPG.9a3db79e96a73e30e817246beec6be65.JPG

Closeup of ledgers showing the amount they are being moved.

1297794840_LedgersMoved.JPG.5090b8860b8ee07a074e548df1d45e14.JPG

They are moving almost all of these ledgers some.

933670292_ClampedinPacetrack.JPG.4881aaba72b8ce550ec518e33cdeb18e.JPG

Although there are still clamps holding it in place while they tweak it.

Perhaps if TGG and/or M&V want to go out of business. I don't think any park will buy a coaster that needs sections of track totally replaced every 3-4 months. If they can consider this wear and tear, they may as well just leave out any kind of warranty period.

-GG

And that's kind of the argument. Did they design a coaster that's TOO aggressive, and that will keep tearing itself apart?

I guess we'll see if the trend continues.

-GG

And that's kind of the argument. Did they design a coaster that's TOO aggressive, and that will keep tearing itself apart?

I guess we'll see if the trend continues.

No, the argument that I was responding to was that Gravity Group / M&V will call this general wear and tear, not if the coaster is too aggressive or will continue to tear itself apart. My point was: No, they will not call it general wear and tear.

The argument on if the Bullet is too aggressive will simply be answered as time plays out.

I was at SFOT today for Tony Hawk media event, so no Bullet updates or pictures. I did get some great rides on Tony Hawk today, the best I've had so far. Giant was actually fun in the front seat, and I confirmed (to myself) that Titan does indeed blow away Goliath (way more airtime on the airtime hill, double up helix has longer/stronger sustained positive gs, etc).

I'll update the Bullet tomorrow night and will also ride Kemah's Chaos install, it should be running tomorrow.

-GG

The Bullet is on schedule, perhaps a bit ahead of schedule, and they are still planning opening on next Friday if things continue going well.

Chaos opened at 6pm today. By next weekend Chaos should get a more permanent look wood rails, queue lines, etc.

Just a few pics this time.

-GG

Chaos.JPG.326d8a7de445838cf43e0e0b39a0e7d1.JPG

Chaos is now open! The control panel had a Missouri inspection tag, it came from Silver Dollar City for those who wondered.

LayersAdded.JPG.9b5f682f0e7505c4b2fa13c09354944c.JPG

There are now several layers of wood on the ledgers that were adjusted, the entire work area has at least 2 layers of wood in place, no missing track.

Measuring_Hill.thumb.JPG.30f2d8181a0eb93a4e7e97fcd426e566.JPG

Worker holds a layer of track in place while another pounds in nails on the first drop. They were working late into the evening.

IMG_1424.JPG.e92064d5340a578b9a17f54081267ab8.JPG

First ever ticket printed for Kemah Boardwalk's Chaos :)

I just loved the chaos when i rode it at Cedar Point. Question, can u ride the chaos alone or is it necessary to have someone in the car with you and also guru, what is the difference in Goliath and Titan? I have heard people say it and I thought they were both the same coaster. I couldnt tell the difference between the 2.

I just loved the chaos when i rode it at Cedar Point. Question, can u ride the chaos alone or is it necessary to have someone in the car with you and also guru, what is the difference in Goliath and Titan? I have heard people say it and I thought they were both the same coaster. I couldnt tell the difference between the 2.

I saw some people riding alone but they are supposed to try to pair single riders up from what I was told.

There is likely a thread somewhere for Goliath vs Titan, I don't want to get that going here and probably shouldn't have mentioned it to begin with.

I put a quick and dirty "Chaos" video up at vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/1029433

(Mods: is it possible to embed this like youtube, and change this thread to "Kemah Boardwalk Update Thread, subtitle: Bullet planned reopening Memorial Day Weekend?)

-GG

wow, we got lucky!

I took a group to Houston in late April, we ventured to Kemah for a bit of coaster riding.

Found it to be unfriendly to bigger folk, but the group I was with loved the ride. what a great layout, They all loved the first drop and the runout that follows!

Rode several other rides and the Beast boat!

In all we had a nice time at the boardwalk. Here's hoping they expand the ride choices over time. (adding a chaos, how about a flume, man it's muggy out there!)

Better question: Did they finish the retracking yet?

Yes, much better question, what park isn't hideously busy memorial day weekend?

About the retracking, they expected to have it finished and run tests tonight but ran a bit behind. The train sitting on the lift has been filled with water dummies and they are almost ready to go. They only had a few guide rails left to install at the top of the lift when I left this evening. Tests and inspection should run tomorrow which will lead to a Friday opening if things go as planned.

Here is a post from one of the lead Kemah maintenance guys from sixflagshouston.com (at the time of that post they thought it would test today):

Yes I'm still here and I'm watching you as you are watching me.

The Bullet is planned to be open for Memorial weekend if all goes well. At this time all is well. The wood is complete and they are finishing the steel. There is another small section that they are repairing and when they finish that we will be running the train. As of now it is schedule to run tonight for testing.

All of your question about why there is so much work being done is too long and detail to explain. To keep it simple - This coaster is a new design, nothing else like it. It was a challenge for the Gravity Group to design, a challenge for MVR to build, and a challenge for us to keep running. There are issues with the ride and everybody is trying to resolve them for the summer. Just like most things, got to work out the "Bugs"

Have a good ride,

The Bullet

-GG

Poor Bullet. So it sounds like the issues with the design is a permanent feature. I hope I can get to ride before its down again.

I wouldn't say that. At this point we still don't know if the problems have been due to design, construction measurements being off, or both. I don't think anyone involved has deemed the problems unsolvable, but I am sure they will have some more work to go before everything is as it needs to be.

The Bullet was running tests all evening and things are looking great. With a full weighted train (water dummies installed) it was 61 seconds!!!! Aside from the opening night in the rain the Boardwalk has NEVER run this fast! A few of the construction crew that rode said it is super smooth all the way down the first drop and curve and you can hear a big difference when the train goes through there, no more "tap tap tap tap tap" as it flies by!

When I watched the test runs it flew over the anti-rollbacks towards the end of the ride that it sometimes struggled to go over then sped right past the magnetic brakes and into the station. I heard they are actually going to have to find a way to slow it down coming into the station for two train operation!

Should be open tomorrow evening and should be taking on full capacity with full train operation.

-GG

^If that is all true, then I might have to give the ride a second chance. I was extremely disappointed with it in March. I had a welt on my knee for a week, and was annoyed by how the last 1/3 of the ride just completely died out. I seriously questioned why they didn't just end it after the turn following the on-ride photo because the rest of the ride was so slow that it was pointless. And I only found two or three rows to be enjoyable. Those two or three rows provided an awesome ride that contended for a top ten spot. All of the other rows battled for one of the worst coaster rides I've experienced. Hopefully they get that all ironed out. It has so much potential.

^If that is all true, then I might have to give the ride a second chance.

Please do. If it's running in the low-60's range, then it is rivaling those infamous opening-day rain rides. Hell, even Rastus thought those rides were awesome and he hates everything.

My best recollection from those rain rides were that they were some of the most intense coaster experiences I've ever had. It's also MUCH smoother at those speeds, when the train isn't falling back down on the banked corners.

As for March, yeah, I can understand that. I think March was the last time I rode it, and I just wasn't inspired to go back down there and ride again any time soon.

I'll be out there Saturday at opening to get in some rides before the crowds hit.

and was annoyed by how the last 1/3 of the ride just completely died out. ............... All of the other rows battled for one of the worst coaster rides I've experienced. Hopefully they get that all ironed out. It has so much potential.

I totally agree with you on the back half part, when it was running 78-82 seconds around the time you visited it was a total joke at the end, you literally leaned the wrong way on those last few turns and it shuffled like crazy. Keep in mind the design speed was around 56 seconds, so they are not too far off from that now. I just hope it stays this fast consistently.

I also totally agree about the seats, the front row, and back three rows have been the only ones worth riding for me. The middle of the train has never done much at all aside from beating me around. I'm a bit skeptical that even if it does get down to the mid 50's at some point, the middle rows will be too much different than they have been, but I would loved to be proved wrong. This coaster does have a lot of potential to be unlocked, I just hope they find the right key.

-GG

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Now that's what I want to see... Bullet hauling over that 2 big drop! Today our job might let out at 3:00p. Maybe I can come down and check out the buzz and who knows catch a ride they way it was designed to do Anyone else going down there this afternoon?