TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re: problem spot

All evidence I've seen (workers measuring, track being removed, etc) seems to indicate that it's not that wicked zig-zag turn at the bottom of the first drop that is the problem, but the section of track between that part and the upper bay turn.

Weird.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes....

The trouble spot is the same spot they've had problems with in the past, it is between the first drop and the first hill by the bay. It's pretty hard to see it unless you walk over by saltgrass and even then if there aren't people in there working you might not see it.

Edit: Oops...must have missed texcoaster's post above somehow. Looks like he had already answered that question.

There should be a train on the transfer track and the other (as of yesterday) was at the bottom of the lift.

Considering that I don't think the construction and testing of any coaster has ever been followed so closely or so viewable by the public, what is to say problems like this aren't common? Testing issues like this could happen all the time but no one knows about them because no one sees the testing!

I had a scare a few days ago, when they were working on track at the top of the first drop. There is a little flat place just before the breakover that looks to be custom-designed to launch the back seat riders to the other side of the park. Luckily, they didn't reprofile that bit!

I had to join in here and say thank you very much to Coasterphotos and GuruGuys for all the photos and videos. Thanks to everyone else for all the info about what's going on with the Bullet.

I've been watching this thing grow since the tale end of last year. That was the first time I made an actual trip to see the bare bones start of this ride. It's been very fun and exciting to watch it grow week by week, thanks to Coasterphotos. I live about 100 miles from Kemah. I've made several trips, but, I greatly appreciate Jason posting the photos so I can watch it progress without having to leave my house.

I'm hoping that they get it up and running so we can get a ride on it before a major hurricane decides to come our way.

I'll be checking this thread as much as possible to stay on top of what's going on.

-SKCfan

I had a scare a few days ago, when they were working on track at the top of the first drop. There is a little flat place just before the breakover that looks to be custom-designed to launch the back seat riders to the other side of the park. Luckily, they didn't reprofile that bit!

What are you talking about? Do you have a picture?

Here's a pic. If the transition from horizontal to vertical were a smooth arc, the lift provided to the riders would be gradual and consistent. However, by placing a flat section in the middle of that arc, GG have orchestrated a very different effect:

As the riders travel into the flat section, whatever lift they had will be canceled and they will return to 1G in their seats.. This will be very brief, as the front of the train is pulling them with increasing speed. Coming out of the flat section into the vertical track (not literally vertical, but you get my point), the breakover is more severe, almost like an angle. The transition from horizontal to vertical is happening at a very fast portion of the track AND is much more angled than a smooth arc. This will cause the back car to "teeter-totter" as it goes over.

We have all seen a circus, and we all know what happens to the clown standing on the end of the teeter-totter..... WHEEEEEE

[edit] DAAAAAAAAAMN, I've always been so enthralled with the track in this picture that I just now noticed that uber-headchopper board right above the drop. I can picture a lot of raised hands getting snatched down quickly when they see that coming!

DSC05417.JPG.2f9f6c1cf7fba9be5deb9374168452bd.JPG

Dropped by The Bullet on the way home and not much change. The problem area is currently covered by blue tarps which appear to be there to protect the workers from the sun, not necessarily the track. I hope they get it testing again this by this weekend.

-GG

Looks like progress is being made in the troubled track area as I saw steel laying around the tracks. Additionally, they are building a small shack near the entrance of the Bullet, perhaps a new midway game stand, and there are now black bars and decor around the ticket booth which will form the lines.

I said a few weeks ago that labor day looked like a no brainer but now I'm a bit nervous about that. They still need to re-run and pass the instrument tests then run it for about 3 days. I hope it opens before Lone Star Coasterthon, would suck if it opens that weekend!