TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

What was the reason that the train wasnt making a complete run and what did they do to correct it if anyone knows?

They were off by about 6 inches in one spot, replaced about 30 feet of track if I'm not mistaken. They still have about 15 feet of track to tune if I remember correctly.

Some wood was sanded down as well, apparently the wheels were rubbing on some wood at one part.

Almost done with my video. VERY VERY tough to edit this coaster, only three places to stand and tape from really, and this thing winds inside itself so much, VERY had to get video of every part.

-GG

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for all 8 test runs today.

According to the speed gun at the bottom of the first drop, it gained 10mph from the first run to the 8th. It is only 2mph from the target speed of 51mph.

The crew said that if it's already going 44mph after just three runs, it should go faster than 51 by the time it opens.

(ahem) YEEEEE-HAAAA!!!

As for the guy who was worried that it would be trimmed to death after a few months... I don't think they CAN. The layout pretty much prevents it.

There is a big drop at the front, then some INSANE track, then a tall hill. If they trim it, it won't make that hill.

Then it drops off that hill and there is more insanity, then near the end is another tallish hill. There are anti-rollbacks on that one as well. If they trim the insanity, it won't make THAT hill, either.

So there ya go. The only way this thing can be made less intense is to redesign it in a LOT of places. Ain't gonna happen.

I don't think anyone knows absolutely for sure but it seemed to be the train gauge was off and slowlying the ride down. Nothing abnormal with the design or anything like that. Just needing adjustments.

I was told that the side wheels were rubbing in some spots around the bay turn. When I arrived today, they were sawing and sanding like crazy all around that turn.

When they ran the test a bit later, the car cleared the problem hill with speed to spare.

By the last run, it was clearing it easily and the end of the run was hauling butt.

New Pics from day of first successful test run.

BB_View_Of_Bay_From_Station_LowRes.JPG.50a98e1505704efc4b8e5d4c522a3f9f.JPG

View of Bay from Station - This pic REALLY doesn't give it justice, I hope Jason can get one with his better equipment soon, it was beautiful!

BB_Walkway_Track_to_left_LowRes.JPG.e96d81bd78bb1b7d93eec189550baf17.JPG

This will be full of anxious people soon! The train zooms by after the first drop right under and to the left of this ramp!

BB_View_Of_Drop_From_Station_LowRes.thumb.JPG.b1ebda59026757b0eae1b805a3aed0f6.JPG

Very Nice View of Drop from Station

BB_Test_Train_On_Brake_Pad_LowRes.JPG.70d155aae0b4e5d189ed036c96fd7f0c.JPG

Test Train on Brake Pads

BB_Station_Work_In_Progress_LowRes.JPG.4dff4fad45418592fdd0df35ed813c07.JPG

Station Work In Progress

OK, just edited the video!

This was taken from the first 3 complete runs of the Bullet from three different locations. One location was inside the Saltgrass Steakhouse so forgive the window pane on the right as well as the white balance being all messed up from that angle (shooting through tinted window didn't help).

I did my very best to include the complete ride and have visible train at all times but it was VERY hard because the way this coaster winds within itself.

Please forgive the video quality issues, I was using a digital camera NOT camcorder to get the video.

EDIT: 08-18-2007 I have updated the video, it is now double bitrate and new coverage. The location has changed to:

http://www.theguruguys.com/BoardwalkBullet/Boardwalk_Bullet_First_Test_Runs.wmv

-GG

Some pics from today. Err, yesterday. 2am and too excited to sleep!

DSC05417.JPG.cfa2d4eb2dc8b9cd191efc71eef37c77.JPG

Odd little flat spot on the first drop breakover. Purpose: ejector air for the back seat riders!

DSC05414.JPG.ef4208207795615e5d07470476cd3904.JPG

This hill taken at nearly 40mph. There will be airtime.

DSC05413.JPG.4dd7e0cae69f91876873ea944c7488a6.JPG

View from a table inside Saltgrass Steakhouse.

DSC05401.JPG.374e1753d341198784f4eb29c6a0a210.JPG

entrance to the under-station fly-by

DSC05397.JPG.12919c2309f7299a0f880676b44cf250.JPG

under-the-station fly-by. This shot taken from the front seat queue

DSC05393.JPG.4fd43d728cca7c24ca3490945772f2cd.JPG

inside the station

DSC05362.JPG.e2e8e7e0dab4a4320bb459e831093181.JPG

I want this house!

Great to hear they had a successful test run, and it is kind of amazing how popular this coaster has suddenly become here,(I'm assuming the rest of the enthusiast community is the same) and this looks like a really good coaster. Looking at pictures, while probably not a top 10(well for those with 300 credits), it looks like it should rank highly. It seems to be a very photogenic coaster, and it is a nice break from Gravity Groups hybrid coasters.

Just had to sign up and tell everybody thanks for all the posts, pictures, videos and everything! Ya'll rock! I pass this thing everyday and the excitement has me bursting at the seams.... And trying to find news about any of it is next to impossible.

I went by this morning and snapped some quick pics while I was there - I didn't realize that they had made great strides yesterday- I wondered why all the workers seemed to be in such a great mood this morning...

My pics don't compare to most of what I've seen here, but feel free to check em out on my flickr site: Here

Once again- thanks everybody! I'll see you soon waiting in line I'm sure...

Things are progressing well in the continuing 102+ degree heat. Track is being fine tuned and intense testing and inspections should begin this weekend. I am hoping the weather stays clear as chances of rain have dropped for the next week but still remain 50-70% according to weather.com.

I'd say that if things go really well we could see it open to the public by late next week.

Those of you planing labor day visits should feel pretty safe!

-GG

Do you think they will open it on a weekday if its ready? Or do you think they will wait till a weekend?

Right now everything is just speculative on my part. I know they are working very hard to get it testing and inspected ASAP. They have to train staff to operate the ride, finish up cosmetics and other functional necessities, etc. Weather and many other factors come into play.

That being said, I think they will open it as soon as they can regardless of the day or time and follow with a Grand Opening event. We will probably have the most accurate estimates of when it will open by Saturday. Until then we should sit back and let them finish up what they need to do.

Right now I just want the rain to stay away! We are getting really close.

-GG

Guru .. you da man! You been haulin' with your camera and video. I'd love to get down there this evening if it's still testing... is it still possible to get down there?

Man alive, you had on-site access privileges that are memories for life! Congratulations... you definitely deserve to be handed your hat Great video too.

Man alive, you had on-site access privileges that are memories for life!

Texcoaster was responsible for getting me there and it was the nice folks at Kemah who took the time to allow it. Sure it is great free publicity for them, but they are very busy these days, his phone rang several times while showing us around, I felt very honored that he allowed us his time and the privilege. I'm sure our timing of being there right after the first successful runs was helpful, but that was just blind luck.

I signed up with ACE last night, it is quite a thrill to start of my roller coaster riding 'career' with this entire experience of watching the coaster being built, getting to meet some of the main people involved in its design and construction, and meet a lot of local coaster enthusiast friends in the process. I'll definitely be attending Lone Star Coasterthon in September as my first ACE event!

Congratulations... you definitely deserve to be handed your hat Taiko Happy Great video too.

Thanks for the praise on the video, the audio was really hard to sync up, I had to fake the first 15 seconds, and I had no tripod, a digital camera, and limited view. I am happy with the results... but much better is to come.

As far as praising people, I'd give most the credit to Jason, ie Coasterphoto, hes been working his hiney off since before they started tearing up ground! He has invested way more time and money than any of us to keep everyone up to date.

If any 'Coaster Fan' at this point deserves one of the first rides on BB, it is Coasterphoto, and I hope he gets it.

-GG

Guru, hopefully next time we ride the Boardwalk Beast, there will be some tasty waves to launch over. At least the seas were calm enough that I didn't drop my camera in the water...

If you're able to photoshop the haze out of the pics I took, send me a copy. We should've gone out there yesterday with the blue skies!