Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subj: RE: Boardwalk Bullet

Date: 8/8/2007 9:13:05 AM Central Daylight Time

LordDoonga,

It was good to meet you down there. Aren't we all anxious for the ride to open?!

Unfortunately, we do not know what Kemah Boardwalk has planned for opening.

Take care,

Michael A. Graham

Member/Manager

The Gravity Group, LLC

The suspense/anxious expectation hopefully makes for a deserved pleasant first ride experience. We're hangin' in the there LOL

1833580275_Bullet22.jpg.5eb855a76157821b77ba3bc4ea5d6720.jpg

Bullet's back neighbor

Seriously people, leave the construction crews, kemah employees and designers alone, they will just in turn take this annoyance and hold it against groups and whatnot.

Let them do their jobs and get the ride open, then try to talk to them.

Seriously people, leave the construction crews, kemah employees and designers alone, they will just in turn take this annoyance and hold it against groups and whatnot.

Let them do their jobs and get the ride open, then try to talk to them.

I just found this thread. I've been going by there almost every day on my way home from work. This has usually been around 5:30ish when the workers are leaving for the day. I've only ever talked to one, he saw me looking at the coaster and actually asked me what I thought so far. He updated me on the status of it (as of last Monday).

Today when I went by they had about 20 feet of track being torn out.

Now that I have found a thread with some locals, how about we put some kind of system together to notify each other of a soft opening etc?

-GG

After testing it will be "open" but not Officially opened(As far as the media/public is concerned. When i worked at Office Depot we "soft opened a store" the store was technically open but staff was training/store wasn't advertised as being opened. You could buy stuff.

Welcome aboard this is your "soft opening alert" thread. What area was the track being "torn up" on?

They were taking hammers and beating off the wood about 30 feet past the first drop. I'm not coaster expert with lingo, etc, so forgive me if my terms are off. Right after it curves right it goes straight, through the area where the passengers will be waiting in line, then the track banks left (still going straight). The part where it banks left is the part they were tearing it off.

I can't find it on a picture, but the one attached is closest to where it is at. It was about 5:30pm, most of the workers were leaving, but the ones still there were hammering away chopping pieces of wood off. Sorry for butchering one of your photos Jason.

Ill keep an eye on the thread, we should all get numbers, emails, text message etc. so we can get together for a group ride or something. Its been over 10 years since I've ridden a coaster. I really look forward to hitting Cedar Point next year, but this is a start

For the other post, a soft opening is when the open the coaster but don't advertise it. It is usually used to get the employees, ticket systems, etc, all in gear for the grand opening which will need to go smooth since it will be jam packed.

-Brian

Work_On_7-8-07.jpg.629bfb9aaabcae38ffda530b0ced2355.jpg

Saw track construction in this area on 7-8-07

I am definately down with getting together. I think after this last part of construction the ride should be ready after testing. As what I have heard it has barely not made it. Taking the Bank out should add speed to the coaster. What I have read banks actually slow the coaster down. Right?

The ride was engineered a certain way and it is pretty much going to work from the engineering stand point, the issue is with the construction.

They are most likely "tearing out" track to adjust the gauge and get everything back in line. This is VERY common with a ride built piece by piece .. something that is 1/3cm off in one place can result to as much as 3ft at the end.

The ride is checked and double checked with computers and several engineering firms before being finalized.

They did the same thing on the turn by the bay after the first test run...removed some track...rebuilt it. The profile of the turn did not change.

I would think all the banks and etc would have been taken into account in the design software. It's not like they designed it on the back of a cocktail napkin and prayed it would work.

With the way the weather was here during construction it wouldn't surprise me if some of the track has changed shape a bit since it was first put down. That track on the turn by the bay has been there since January.

I didn't mean to be overbearing when I said "tearing out", but they were breaking large pieces of wood off the track with a hammer Thanks for the good information, I agree, these things are engineered with very specific software. I seriously doubt they would actually take out a bank or element when it is likely just a construction issue. In fact, it doesn't make sense, if they actually changed part of the coaster they would have to go back into the computer simulation and recalculate everything else, right? They are probably just redoing the top part of the track, since that is what they were tearing apart.

Again, Im not coaster expert, just trying to use a bit of logic.

I see. I read his post "tearing down" as reprofiling. Again...I am not expert.

heh. I hope to become one within a year or so. Hah. Someone want to send me to a "Roller Coaster Lingo" faq? Re-profiling means they are changing the actual profile, or can it mean just rebuilding the same part of the track to proper specs?

Re-profiling is changing the dynamics or shape of the ride or curve. The Texas Giant used to have a double up where the fan curve is down. The Rattler used to have a double-down where the fan curve is currently now .. those are prime examples of reprofiling.

Demon also at the Great Americas, both started as corkscrew coasters then were extended and had 2 vertical loops added.