TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

Worker said each car weighs in at 2,000 lbs. x 6 cars = 12,000 lbs. Imagine trying to push it over the hill. I think the rest of the ride should perform okay.
Wow...I thought the trains normally weighed 2 tons total.

Maybe translation mix-up looooooooool otherwise would destroy structure

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey don't they push Kingda Klones over the tophat when they stall? But I guess this is a bit different, haha.
Don't they "either make it or roll back" to the station?

They've stopped at the top of the hill before. I think there is video somewhere of workers pushing TTD over the top.

Oh how depressing...and it must be kinda embarrassing for the designers. I wonder what is really going on? Maybe it is windier up there than they anticipated? The wind off the Bay can be pretty gusty. Is it common to have to tweak the track guage...that much??? Oh boy...

We were gonna go out there but thought for sure they wouldn't risk another failure with all the crowds watching...oh well...

-Derek

I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong...it probably just needs to get broken in. This test made it a couple car lengths further than the first one.

If I remember right, The Boss had problems when it first started testing...they ended up using the trains from Screamin' Eagle on media day just so they could have it open.

But yeah...the public doesn't normally get to see testing like this...but Kemah doesn't have much of a choice.

"Coaster -"They've stopped at the top of the hill before. I think there is video somewhere of workers pushing TTD over the top."

Do you happen to know the link?

"Fisherman -"Oh how depressing...and it must be kinda embarrassing for the designers. I wonder what is really going on? Maybe it is windier up there than they anticipated? The wind off the Bay can be pretty gusty. Is it common to have to tweak the track guage...that much??? Oh boy...

We were gonna go out there but thought for sure they wouldn't risk another failure with all the crowds watching...oh well... -Derek"

I read that back in the day, the gulf south wind caused Texas Cyclone to valley on the second hill enough to the point that they modified the track and lowered it some 2 ft.

I think the coasters gods are giving them a hard time because someone had demolished all coasters from this area and so in return, they are having the hardest time because of it...

YES I'M BLAMING SIX FLAGS, not astroworld but SIX FLAGS CORP. for the late opening and mishaps

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

After doing some research, it would seem that the plaque on each car is for the weight of that car...meaning that each car does indeed weigh 2000 pounds (1 ton), making the weight of the entire train 12,000 pounds (or 6 tons).

I can't find any specifics on PTC, but Premier rides lists the weight of their wooden coaster cars at 2,700 pounds each.

Never would have guessed they weighed that much. Learn something new every day I guess.

After doing some research, it would seem that the plaque on each car is for the weight of that car...meaning that each car does indeed weigh 2000 pounds (1 ton), making the weight of the entire train 12,000 pounds (or 6 tons).

I can't find any specifics on PTC, but Premier rides lists the weight of their wooden coaster cars at 2,700 pounds each.

Never would have guessed they weighed that much. Learn something new every day I guess.

.... so "Poncho" was right after all lol.... and last week an english speaking worker shouted, "thats some 16,000 lbs that will be racing the track."

The wouldn't have to lower any of the first drop .. that would reduce the speed overall ... anyhoo .. it seems to be a track gauge issue since it is loosing speed around the bay curve back there really .. it could also be a wind resistance issue .. but haven't heard if it's been windy.

Worse comes to worse .. they may have to reprofile the turn and drop .. similar to what they did on many of the huge woodies of the early 90s (ie: Texas Giant, Mean Streak, Rattler).

Hopefully .. with the gauge and track adjustments and the fact it did make it further it's second run .. is a good sign .. it's living material .. so it does take a while to break in.

God forbid they do any major track reprofiling. If it had just maybe additional XXX mph to make it around the 3rd hill. Or as the worker said yesterday, they might need to make a 1/4" adjustment opening the track where it gets "stuck". My first doubting impression when I viewed Bullet in person was exactly the lift leading into the 3rd hill. If you can go there and have a look, you can catch a view at the neighbors house behind Bullet, their driveway adjacent to Bullet and ends at the structure. Looking at where the fences meet (the corner) look above the fence through telephone wires and tree branches and you will get a look at the track approaching the 3rd hill. It takes a small steep dive and right into a steep ascent. When I saw that I wondered how in the world was Bullet going to dive below "sea level" so to speak and successfully make it all the way up to the turn around. The third hill will be big suprise drop whenever they get it going.

I hope they don't have to reprofile any of the hill or turn. It looks awesome how it is. Hopefully it does not come to that. I wish I lived closer so I could go out there more often. But the traffice getting there is awful and makes it a longer than normal trip for me.

I just noticed something funny.... The location at which the train is now stuck is the exact spot at which the train was glued on the scale model at the IAAPA convention. Interesting...maybe they never intended it to go beyond that point...just kidding...

-Derek

Parents ditched me for lunch today, so I had an extra 30 minutes on my lunch break. Went out to Kemah, nothing had changed, but I took some pictures anyways. Train still stuck on 3rd hill and although I could hear people working, there weren't any visible workers on the track except for the lift. One of the cars of the first failed train had been taken out into the street and the fence was taken down.

Didn't bring my camera, so all I have is crappy phone pictures.

1803701323_Pic1.JPG.ad3d6300866b4cefc713b5a10d6c49fd.JPG

Arrived in the parking lot to the stalled train sitting in its spot on the 3rd hill.

1756626839_Pic3.JPG.24fc64929af7d5168656188cf194b7ee.JPG

Crappy picture of stalled train from bay side.

2145842588_Pic5.JPG.d7bcc5790279eae599f7b2c8132bdcba.JPG

Product of 2 failed attempts.