TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks close to airports

I might be applying to work for an airline and one of the benefits of working for most airlines is you get to fly standby free (or discounted). So I'm interested in parks that are located near major airports. Also, if there is a easy way to get from the airport to the park, please include that too (ex: there is a train that goes from MSP to Mall of America (Park at MOA))). Thanks for your help.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SFKK is only a few miles from Lousville International. Just about every airline flies in or out of there, although the regionals are more prevelant. As Will's picture shows, it's UPS' hub for air freight.

SFKK and MOA are the only two I can think off of hand.

^ more like a couple hundred yards! It's right on the otherside of the Watterson Express Way (264). I'm not sure if they still have a shuttle that runs to and from the airport to the Kentucky Fair and Expo Center (which is adjacent to SFKK), but they use to. Also, nearly every hotel in that area has shuttle buses, but that would most likely be just for hotel go-ers. I just hope Chang or the Giant Wheel never get clipped with how low those airliners go!

Pleasure Beach Blackpool is ten minutes walk from Blackpool International.

Thorpe Park is maybe five miles from London Heathrow.

Alice in Wonderland is a few minutes walk from Bournemouth International.

Legoland Billund is no more than two minutes walk from the arrivals area of Billund Airport.

La Ronde is about 10 miles away from the Montreal airport, and you can get to La Ronde on the Metro.

Paramount's Carowinds is about 8 miles from the Charlotte/Douglas Int'l airport, but I don't know about public transportation.

Dorney Park is 9 miles from the Lehigh Valley Int'l Airport, but that's a smaller airport, and mostly gets shuttle flights, and I also don't know about public transportation.

Herhseypark is about 10 miles from Harrisburg Int'l Airport, but again, I don't know about public transportation.

Six Flags Astroworld used to be about 10 miles from the Houston-Hobby airport, may it RIP.

Hard Rock Park is right next to the Myrtle Beach International Airport:

You might be better off going the other way.

See where you can fly to, and then see what would be close by.

Pick just about any major city, and you should be able to find something close. If you get a rental car it should make your options just about unlimited.

I imagine that it wouldn't be too tough to get to Six Flags America from Reagan in DC. I know you can take the Metro out to Largo, MD to get to the park, but I'm not sure how.

I actually did this (for the most part) back in July. Take the Metro Blue Line from DCA (Reagan Airport) all the way out to Largo Town Center in MD, then transfer to a Metrobus, which stops outside Six Flags America. Not the most glamourous way to get there, but it works, and you get to snicker as you walk past the auto toll booths wanting $15 per car.

If you are coming through BWI (Baltimore), which Soutwest services, there is the B30 Metrobus that connects that airport to the Metro Green Line. Transfer to the Blue Line at L'Enfant* Plaza, and take Blue to Largo.

*(pronounced Lohn-Fohn. Named after the guy who made the plans for Washington DC. Has nothing to do with babies or typefaces.)

Don't forget SFKK, but good luck getting there on foot from the Louisville Airport. But I'm sure a couple of hotels across from SFKK and the KEC (Fair/Expo Center) have airport shuttles...

• 2 months later...
I imagine that it wouldn't be too tough to get to Six Flags America from Reagan in DC. I know you can take the Metro out to Largo, MD to get to the park, but I'm not sure how.

Take the blue line metro all the way to Largo Town Center (The End of the Blue Line) then take a 10 minute bus ride that stops directly in front of SFA. Be careful though, that area of the county is pretty rough. Highly suggest go during the day and return during day light.

One time we left the park at dusk and we saw a man, walking along the road in front of SFA with a hand gun hanging out of his pants. In broad daylight (Well...dusk light?). The point of the matter was...it was visible. Scary.

EDIT: Sorry CoastersNSich, I totally skipped the second page, you got it right with the directions.

Legoland, CA is built right next to an airport. In our ride operator training and SOP's we have to know what to do in case there ever is a plane crash. That probably explains why we don't build higher coasters.

I doubt the airport has much to do with that. It's a family park, no need to build large rides.